X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One bark fines--Any reason to no make your own?

I haven't done an exhaustive search, but just about all I've been able to find are pine bak nuggets. Is there any reason I couldn't or shouldn't use these to make my own pine bark fines by braking hem down?

Thanks.
    Bryant...Franklin County, VA...Zone 7a. Wish List: a 32 hour day....more sleep

Wood chipper would make things easy... I sift with a 1/2" screen to get them to the size I want. Messy and time consuming. If you live near an Agway they sell pathway bark witch is ready right from the bag.
    Last edited by Iowafig; 01-21-2016, 09:52 AM.
    Iowa Z5

Comment

I buy my bark product at home depot. When I get it home, I lay the bags down in the street, and drive over them a few times. It seems to really help with breaking down the larger pieces.

Then I sift them using three sifters together - 1/2", then 1/4", then 1/8". Everything that falls through the 1/8" screen is called "pine fines" and is a decent substitute for peat moss in a bark based medium. The 1/4"-1/8" stuff is kept for 1(bark):1(Turface MVP):1(Chicken Grit) mixes, and the 1/2"-1/4" stuff is kept for 5(bark):1(peat):1(perlite) mixes
      Fig & Blackberry Farmer in Sunol, CA.

Comment

• Jamie0507
        Jamie0507 commented
        Editing a comment
        Love this idea! My neighbors already think Im strange lol, but wait until they see me running bags of mulch over in the middle of winter! Haha!!

• Merle
        Merle commented
        Editing a comment
        Funny and great idea! Keeping it simple, the way I prefer to do things.

Thanks, guys! I'll run over a few bags with the truck later today.
      Bryant...Franklin County, VA...Zone 7a. Wish List: a 32 hour day....more sleep

Comment

The local Home Depot here sells pine bark nuggets, mini nuggets and pine bark mulch. The pine bark mulch is small from 1/4" to fines.
        PPP
        Eatonton, GA zone 7b/8a

Comment

I use any pine bark I have. It all becomes fines eventually. Until then the bigger chunks are great at holding water.
          Bob C. KC, MO Zone 6a. Wanted: Martineca Rimada, Galicia Negra, Fioroni Ruvo, De La Reina - Pons, Tauro, BFF, Sefrawi, Sbayi, Mavra Sika , Fillaciano Bianco, Corynth, Souadi, Acciano Purple, LSU Tiger, LSU Red, Cajun Gold, BB-10 any great tasting fig

Comment

• bahamadan
            bahamadan commented
            Editing a comment
            When you use the one with the bigger chunks do you find that you have to water more often?

DB,

Walmart......purple bag just labeled Pine mulch. It is already fine, perhaps 3/4 of the bag is acceptable.
          Cutting sales have ended for the season. Plant sales will start March 1 at 8 eastern time. If it is still too cold in your area I can hold your plants till a date of your choosing.

Comment

Look for bags of "soil conditioner" at Lowes. It is just small pine fines.
            Last edited by bamafig; 01-21-2016, 08:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X