X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Stay safe our mid-Atlantic friends

It looks like the storm is going to be very minor here in NE and that those of you in the mid-Atlantic states are going to get 1-2'+ of snow.

Hope you all are able to shelter in your homes during the storm.

Stay safe and warm everyone.
    Kevin (Eastern MA - Zone 5b/6a)

Sì stay safe warm and smart ! Storms like tis can be fun but also very danger. And make wellness checks on elderly and weak people. So far this year Chicago have 16 people die from cold.
    if you have trees in ground put extra tarp over them so when snow stops you can lift tarp to take weight of snow off tree.

Let's see some good snowfall photos too!

No look tooooo bad although....😳

Ciao!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Taverna78; 01-22-2016, 07:36 AM.
    Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
    1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy 👼🏼.
    2) This weeks ebay auctions.

Comment

• fitzski
      fitzski commented
      Editing a comment
      Good point, Mike. And if you can, check on your elderly neighbors when it is safe to do so.

And yes, let's see some pictures when it's all done.

Yes, stay safe, everyone. And, good point fitzski...check on elderly neighbors!
    Last edited by SmyFigs; 01-22-2016, 09:41 AM. Reason: Good point, fitzski

Comment

• fitzski
      fitzski commented
      Editing a comment
      Mike should take the credit for mentioning that but it's something I have always done in my neighborhood. I have a 85 yr old widow across the street from me and an 83+ yr old couple next to me.

After it snows, I'll go over and make sure there car's are cleared off and have a path cleared from the house to the car.

They both have people that plow their driveways so I let the plowers take care of the driveways.

I'm hoping that when I'm that old some young person will do the same

Kevin

• SarinaP
      SarinaP commented
      Editing a comment
      Yup yup--just had a long talk with the widow across the street. She knows she's welcome to come over any time... and we're lucky enough to have a snowplow driver one street over. I'm sure he's going to be crazy busy but he's already said he'll keep tabs on the entrances to our streets. *mental note, make him some cookies*

Thanks everyone! Snow shovels, check! Sand, check! Snacky food, check! Batteries, flashlights, sudoku books, check! My husband thinks I'm a crazy prepper, but I don't care... I'm having fun. Oh, and I'm going to finally get to try out my tealight heater if we lose power! Yay!
    Zone 7a in Virginia

Comment

• DBJohnson
      DBJohnson commented
      Editing a comment
      LOL! I'm the crazy prepper...nothing out of the ordinary bought for the storm (other than pumpernickel rye bread and deli cheeses for my grilled cheese sandwiches). I did fill all the fuel tanks in the vehicles and a some extra fuel for the tractor (have a slow fuel leak that I've not gotten around to fixing).

That being said, it did occur to me last evening that I do have a deficiency that needs to be rectified in the next few months--I need to get a generator for the place since everything is electric.

• SarinaP
      SarinaP commented
      Editing a comment
      Bryant, I have two little solar cell phone chargers that I got as gifts at a corporate retreat... they are pretty great! Adapters for iPad, phone, MP3 player... I believe they're pretty inexpensive too, in case you want to add a little something portable.

• fitzski
      fitzski commented
      Editing a comment
      Bribing snow plow drivers is a good thing, it can't hurt.

If I'm out when they go by I'll try and ask them if they want hot coffee/chocolate.

Somewhere between 6-18" forecast here. Good insulation for the in-ground plants, if nothing else!
    https://www.figbid.com/Listing/Browse?Seller=Kelby
    SE PA
    Zone 6

Comment

So far have about 5-6" on the ground with another 7-10" forecast for today/tonight. Vehicles are fueled up, tractor is set up with the blade to clear things once it stops falling, tractor is wrapped up so it doesn't get iced up. Enjoy the pics!
      You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 7 photos.
      Bryant...Franklin County, VA...Zone 7a. Wish List: a 32 hour day....more sleep

Comment

• DBJohnson
        DBJohnson commented
        Editing a comment
        Same age as me--according to the serial number it was built in March 1968. Massey-Ferguson 135. It's a decent old tractor and will make someone a great project....but I'm not a project tractor person. Looking to get a newer tractor...maybe a bit bigger...say, a MF245...sometime in the next couple of years.
        Last edited by DBJohnson; 01-22-2016, 01:42 PM. Reason: Typo

• SmyFigs
        SmyFigs commented
        Editing a comment
        Wow! THAT'S a lot of snow!

• DBJohnson
        DBJohnson commented
        Editing a comment
        About double that amount now...and it's still falling.

The storm is supposed to mainly miss us here in S.W. PA - prediction for 1-4 inches by tomorrow afternoon where I live.
      Ed
      SW PA zone 6a

Comment

• fitzski
        fitzski commented
        Editing a comment
        yeah, last i heard we're in the 2-4" range here in Eastern MA.

• GregMartin
        GregMartin commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm in the 0" band up here in Maine...this one is just missing us. Everyone stay safe, especially when shoveling. Moving a lot of snow after a big storm can really freak up your back. Take breaks and don't overdo it. The ergonomic shovels, the one's with the bent handles, are really THE shovel to own....saves you from yourself...engineered to do the job correctly. If you have straight handled shovels you should consider tossing them.

My job allows me to telework at times like this so I'll just ride it out indoors and dig out when it stops. My only worry is the possibility that we could lose power. That would not be good.
      Steve
      D-i-c-k-e-r-s-o-n, MD; zone 7a
      WL: Nantes Maroc

Comment

• Rewton
        Rewton commented
        Editing a comment
        It just started to snow here in Maryland a few minutes ago...here we go.

we are expected to get 16", my wife was off work today so she will not be able to get to work tomorrow and I work at home so we are set. be careful everyone
      Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana
      Buffalo WV Z6

Comment

• SmyFigs
        SmyFigs commented
        Editing a comment
        Light the fireplace and enjoy Ourfigs forum!

• growcrazie
        growcrazie commented
        Editing a comment
        yep

I hate winter!👊
      Dave- Waterford, Ct. Zone 6a

Comment

• DBJohnson
        DBJohnson commented
        Editing a comment
        Winter used to be my favorite season, but getting older has changed my opinion.

• SmyFigs
        SmyFigs commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh no! Really? I wish we could get a little bit of different weather here in So Cal. It's always, well....sunny.

Want to see crazy? Is snow in Italia in Calabria Tis Taverna piazza Normally only snow top of mountain in Sila. Imagine all the fig,grape and cactus fruit that die from tis. Photo normal with no snow.
      Attached Files
      You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.
      Last edited by Taverna78; 01-23-2016, 09:04 AM.
      Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
      1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy 👼🏼.
      2) This weeks ebay auctions.

Comment

• fitzski
        fitzski commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice pictures, mike. Looks like a beautiful place.

• Taverna78
        Taverna78 commented
        Editing a comment
        Grazie fitz..

I am try to edit slide show with musica from last time I go home.... But I no good with YouTube. I can only use movie maker in my computer when it want to work correct. If I can finish I would love member that is great with YouTube to post it for me for ourfigs to see. Now is a lot personal photos on it no one will understand but I will love for you all to see.

• Altadena Mara
        Altadena Mara commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks. I didn't know that.
        "Altadena also Calabria is like a state in USA. So i.e. Illinois = Calabria. Chicago = Taverna
        Capise?"

Cleaned 6" off the driveway then an hour later 3" more. December was great.
      Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana
      Buffalo WV Z6

Comment

• DBJohnson
        DBJohnson commented
        Editing a comment
        I prefer the one-and-done approach. We're hunkered down and waiting for it to stop falling. Once that happens, I'm cranking up the tractor and clearing my drive, the road back to my place, and my neighbors dive.

• growcrazie
        growcrazie commented
        Editing a comment
        I just have a push broom, I could really use a tractor

It's not even dark out and my dog has already kicked off one of his shoes in the yard. This is going to be a lonnnng weekend. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVvY...ature=youtu.be
      Zone 7a in Virginia

Comment

• fitzski
        fitzski commented
        Editing a comment
        good luck, Sarina. It looks like my dog when we try to put her boots on.

I hope you shovel paths for him in the backyard.

• Taverna78
        Taverna78 commented
        Editing a comment
        Look like "hot patuti hot patuti hot patuti" no remember name of movie although.

• SarinaP
        SarinaP commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh yes, he's got lots of room. We have an addition that hangs over a lower deck and patch of grass.

Lil figgy had to wear a sweat shirt today over her yoga pants. Ah nice. But remember I roasted this summer and fall here in Florida. When I lived in Michigan, I used to take my snow blower and do the old couple across the street sidewalk and driveway. I would drink cocoa and brandy and then head over. Little buzz in my long quilted coat with fox fur hood and snow boots. Thermals and snuggy chlothes. She would give me piece of homemade apple pie (the best ever) I thought it was a fair trade.

Comment

• fitzski
        fitzski commented
        Editing a comment
        my elderly neighbors bring me "thank you" gifts all the time for helping them out. She's Italian so she loves to cook. Lasagna, chicken parm pasta, chili, soup, brownies, cookies, etc.

I always say it's not necessary but they keep doing it.
        Last edited by fitzski; 01-22-2016, 07:05 PM.

Had over an inch of rain from the storm and will drop down to 33 tomorrow night.
      Cutting sales start Nov 1 at 9PM eastern time as always at willsfigs.com

Comment

• fitzski
        fitzski commented
        Editing a comment
        will lows in the 30's affect any of your fruit trees?

• WillsC
        WillsC commented
        Editing a comment
        They are calling for 30 now. The mango trees would not like even 35, it could defoliate and as it is they are now blooming. While they are in ground there is a greenhouse over them so they are protected from frost and while it is now a chilly 44 degrees here at noon it is 107 in the GH lol..have the curtains rolled up capturing that heat for tonight. Even with no heater there is still 3500 gallons of water in there and I doubt it will get below 50 inside overnight. The rest of the trees peaches, plums, blueberries 30 won't bother them at all.

Measured a foot fo snow this morning, lots of blowing and drifting. Up to another foot possible here.
      SE PA
      Zone 6

Comment

SE PA
        Zone 6

Comment

• fitzski
          fitzski commented
          Editing a comment
          It looks like a fluffy snow but 2 feet is still 2 feet.

• WillsC
          WillsC commented
          Editing a comment
          I do not miss that snow at ALL......I occasionally do miss ice fishing but I get over it

• Taverna78
          Taverna78 commented
          Editing a comment
          Tis is you fig under snow?? Why you no cover?

Hubby's been busy--for the record, I did the part off to the right and around to the driver's side door! I think we got just over a foot. We shoveled the first 5 inches or so last night before bed.
        You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
        Zone 7a in Virginia

Comment

Measured 23 inches of snow out by the garden plot--not drifted. Here are some updated pics. Still getting some flurries, but accumulation should be done. I've tried to get motivated to crank up the tractor and clear the drive but then I look outside and the coffee maker calls me back.

Comment

• fitzski
            fitzski commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for sharing, looks like a fluffy snow.

For some reason it didn't load this pic.

Comment

• SarinaP
            SarinaP commented
            Editing a comment
            Looks so peaceful!

Here's what our patio looked like a little while ago with fig forest in the background. Poor figs. It's still coming down like gangbusters but at least we have power.
          Steve
          D-i-c-k-e-r-s-o-n, MD; zone 7a
          WL: Nantes Maroc

Comment

• mountainfigs
            mountainfigs commented
            Editing a comment
            Looks more like 2 feet than 1 foot, no?

• Rewton
            Rewton commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes, I think we are pushing 2 feet here in Rockville.

• Taverna78
            Taverna78 commented
            Editing a comment
            You also no cover fig??? Snow is going to die back to ground?

Dang. ... and it's going to be 60° in Colorado today.
          Last edited by COGardener; 01-23-2016, 11:37 AM.
          Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

• WillsC
            WillsC commented
            Editing a comment
            There is something wrong with it being 60 in Colorado and 44 in central Florida.

• COGardener
            COGardener commented
            Editing a comment
            For sure Wills, super weird!!

18+ inches so far, more coming down. 3 feet in the nearby mountains. Outdoor fig bushes don't mind as not bitter cold now or so far this winter.
          You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 10 photos.
          Last edited by mountainfigs; 01-23-2016, 11:27 AM. Reason: added a couple photos
          Tony WV 6b
          https://mountainfigs.net/

Comment

• fitzski
            fitzski commented
            Editing a comment
            nice pictures, tony.

Well...that's that. A 47 year old Massey-Ferguson 135 is not enough tractor to pull a blade through that much snow...at least not without chains (which I don't have). Almost got the damned thing stuck broadside across the road entrance...and that was with the blade up and just trying to get through the snow drifts.

So...coffee, maybe some scotch, pot up a few cutting showing good roots, and then video games.
          You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 3 photos.

Comment

• fitzski
            fitzski commented
            Editing a comment
            What's plan B for clearing the snow?

• DBJohnson
            DBJohnson commented
            Editing a comment
            I will get out there and dig out the vehicles later today. The drive is the biggest obstacle. About 200 yards and drifted in. Will likely hit it tomorrow using the shovel.

Thus definitely puts me leaning toward a bigger, newer tractor..,,

I have been a Texas all my life, Houston and now Canyon Lake. I know nothing about snow. Why shovel snow? Why not wait til it melts?
          Jerry, Canyon Lake TX 8b

Comment

• fitzski
            fitzski commented
            Editing a comment
            If I had done that last year, I wouldn't have left the house from mid-Jan until mid-April

We got 90" of snow in 35 days starting in mid-Jan last year.

• jmaler
            jmaler commented
            Editing a comment
            I feel for you folks for having to deal with that much snow. Hope it all works out for you.

• fitzski
            fitzski commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm sure you have your own weather issues to deal with. We're used to snow in the northeast.
        Working...
        X