X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vladimir View Post
    Where do you get these containers?
    I get them from my local supermarket. There are Deli containers for food. I make the holes to fit my purpose.
    if you can’t find them locally, Amazon sell those, just type 32 oz deli container

Comment

I am going to try this method for some of my cuttings from Harvey. I just wanted to know, how often do you water the cuttings.

Comment

• Lucrative
        Lucrative commented
        Editing a comment
        Please see previous posts. Without first hand experience of how you water and what your exact conditions are, I cannot really advise you on this. It's more of an art than a science and it varies wildly depending on many variables. https://www.ourfigs.com/forum/figs-h...127#post696127

That being said, this method is much more forgiving of overwatering than any other direct potting method I know of, so hopefully you will find success with it. Good luck! Many of Harvey's cuttings are very good sized, and may allow you to split them into 2. If they are large enough to do that, I would recommend you do it and save 1/2 of the cutting for a later date (maybe 2-3 months from now) when you have more experience under your belt. Experience is often the best teacher.

Originally posted by Frank collado View Post
      I am going to try this method for some of my cuttings from Harvey. I just wanted to know, how often do you water the cuttings.
      I always look at the clear pot to see the soil. If it’s getting dry I water it.
      Remember that the rooted cuttings will not have the same water requirements, for example a cutting that is very aggressive and had put a lot of roots and leave will require more water. That’s why I like to watch them individually.

Comment

Well, held out as long as I could, but I up-potted the Black Mission today. 1 day shy of two months in the cup (started 11/22, up-potted 1/21).
        The root ball held together well. I think one small piece of a root was left behind in the cup. Only had to squeeze the wall of the cup all the way around and at the bottom a little bit to loosen the root adhesion to the cup wall then the rest slid out (I have to do this when rooting in DE too)....to answer LadyGT's question above.

Hope this is helpful to those considering this method. I've tried many and this is definitely my favorite now.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200121_191926.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.76 MB ID:	698533

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200121_192005.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.52 MB ID:	698532

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200121_192416.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.56 MB ID:	698534

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200121_192957.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.62 MB ID:	698531

Zone 8b, College Station, TX
        Wish List: Maltese Beauty, CLBC.

Comment

• ginamcd
          ginamcd commented
          Editing a comment
          Great example of what your cutting's roots should look like in coir or peat based mixes at up-potting time!

• Lucrative
          Lucrative commented
          Editing a comment
          Well done! Good job being patient, too! It can be hard sometimes, but it makes a big difference.

• 6b_figs
          6b_figs commented
          Editing a comment
          Wow dude, nice going! The plants look very healthy!

I'm confused by the black cups... are they necessary around the transparent ones? Are they to collect heat from light? Or shield the roots from light? What happens if one only uses transparent cups?

Comment

• ginamcd
          ginamcd commented
          Editing a comment
          It's to shield the roots from the light. It's been debated as to whether light is bad or not a problem for the roots, but many of us choose to let the roots do their work in the dark as that is where they will spend the rest of their lives.

Originally posted by tve View Post
        I'm confused by the black cups... are they necessary around the transparent ones? Are they to collect heat from light? Or shield the roots from light? What happens if one only uses transparent cups?
        The black cup is for root protection. Young roots are very delicate and sensitive to light and sun. Also, in a dark environment, the cutting develop more fine roots, which are the ones that brings nutrients to the tree or cutting.
        Harvey only uses a black pot, but I like to use both to see the progress of the roots and be able to tell better when they need to be watered.
        I’ve done it also with black pot only with very good results.

Comment

Working...
        X