X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adriatic JH

Adriatic JH! Please share any photos or experience you have, and also post photos on the varieties index.

This variety is rapidly becoming a favorite light fig due to it's suberb unique flavor, hardiness, and productivity. The mother tree is found in Austin, Texas on the property of Joe Hood (an f4f member), where it was already established when he moved into the house. Early attempts at identification using Condit's information led to the moniker Adriatic, which is incorrect when compared to the UCD specimen. My understanding is that Adriatic JH has 1-5 lobes (with or without thumbs) and Adriatic UCD has 5 lobes and thumbs. If there are leaves with no lobes, then it should be Adriatic JH. Adriatic UCD is also heavily FMV infected to the point of being barely productive whereas Adriatic JH should be healthy.

Quite hardy and productive to zone 6, it is able fruit after being killed to the ground (50+ fruits). The mother plant has been reported to produce over 90 lbs of fruit per year. It is primarily grown for the main crop, although a few brebas may occur which are large and excellent. Main crop should ripen in early September in Mid-Atlantic or July in Texas. Figs are very good; flavor is in the Green Ischia group. Best flavor when weather is dry, but they are still edible even if rainy. Drips honey from eye when ripe.

The true ID is unknown, but herman2 has described it as a "white version of Madeira Black and Preto", the only fig he suggests being comparable is I-258. If you check out the top 5 figs lists recently posted, this variety comes up quite a few times.
    It's a light fig for dark fig lovers! For more info on this from Mr. JH himself, search f4f for "mountainman0826".

Here's my little guy, you can see the three lobes and thumbs. Rooted pretty easily for me. I'm looking forward to planting this out in a prominent spot!

You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
    https://www.figbid.com/Listing/Browse?Seller=Kelby
    SE PA
    Zone 6

An exquisite fig, so good I have 4 of them. Right in my wheel house!
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 4 photos.
    Rafael
    Zone 7b, Queens, New York

Comment

• vito12831
      vito12831 commented
      Editing a comment
      That’s a beautiful looking fig Rafael, I can almost taste it.

• twoputz
      twoputz commented
      Editing a comment
      in your opinion, is it better than a Green Ischia? If yes, why?

• Rafaelissimmo
      Rafaelissimmo commented
      Editing a comment
      Green Ischia is smaller, earlier and will not split. A perfect Green Ischia does not come close to matching a perfect AJH, but it is very difficult in my zone to get a great AJH to ripen before they start to split in Autumn. If you have a long season and dry weather, Adriatic JH is a top fig. I no longer have 4 trees, just the one.

Got a few cuttings under way, i'm excited about this one!
    Seems to be in everyone's top 5 flavor list so i know i cant go wrong with JH Adriatic.
    Last edited by Rob Ster 010; 03-02-2015, 09:46 AM.
    Rotterdam / the Netherlands.
    Zone 8B

Comment

The more I read about JH, the more I want it. Thanks for the report, Kelby.
      Frank ~ zone 7a VA

Comment

• Rui
        Rui commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh, it's on its way as soon as the weather is warm enough for bareroot transport

It's a light fig for dark fig lovers!
      Well said. One of my top five. Ranks up there with CdDB.

I would rather have duplicates of this variety than more figs with average taste. I have three of these and am planning to keep them all.

Fortunately it's one of the really good figs that's not that hard to get.
      SoCal, zone 10.
      www.ourfigs.com Invite your friends.

Comment

Here's a Adriatic JH cutting of mine displaying quite a different leaf pattern:
        You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
        Jesse in western Maine, zone 4/5
        Wishlist- Figues Juane, Demos unk, Nantes Maroc, Thermalito

Comment

• Kelby
          Kelby commented
          Editing a comment
          Interesting! I assume mine is legit. Fig leaf shapes sure make this fun!

• zone5figger
          zone5figger commented
          Editing a comment
          Others I have leaves with more well-defined lobes, yours is probably just happier!
          None of mine have leaves as 'mature' looking as yours.
          We can only trust our sources, I lucked out and got it from two and they both seem consistent.
          I look forward to comparing fruit in someday....

Tough plant. It survived the winter vortex outside in a pot last year. Died back to the soil line and came back strong. I like it.
        RI Zone 6a
        Container Herder

Comment

• GregMartin
          GregMartin commented
          Editing a comment
          Wow! How cold did it get for you?

Currently rooting a couple of cuttings.
        Otmani - Dallas, TX - Zone 8a
        Wish List: Col de Dame Blanche, Brogiotto Bianco, Sicilian White, Panache

Comment

Here's a picture of JH and Sal's Corleone and JH and Preto. I got to eat a bunch of them last summer and it is one of my favorites.
          Art
          Western Pa -6a

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	20140920_161415.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	6929

Name:	20140920_162004.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	120.1 KB
ID:	6930

The grid on the top fig is an impression from my squirrel proofing screen. I let these go a long time since it ripened in cool weather.
            Bob C. KC, MO Zone 6a. Wanted: Martineca Rimada, Galicia Negra, Fioroni Ruvo, De La Reina - Pons, Tauro, BFF, Sefrawi, Sbayi, Mavra Sika , Fillaciano Bianco, Corynth, Souadi, Acciano Purple, LSU Tiger, LSU Red, Cajun Gold, BB-10 any great tasting fig

Comment

• Kelby
              Kelby commented
              Editing a comment
              Wow, you ripened it dark!

• Levar
              Levar commented
              Editing a comment
              jeeeeeez that looks good.

• Cguitar
              Cguitar commented
              Editing a comment
              That looks like strawberry jam! Yum!

JH Adriatic is the best of the green-red berry figs that I have growing. Why? For life in 8B, its tolerance to rain, heat, humidity and 30+ degree temperature swings in imperative but no tunlike Battaglia Green. What separates it from Battaglia Green (thus far) is that it is flavorful before the 'dead ripe' stage when the pulp bleeds into the otherwise thick skin. This characteristic offers a longer period to be ripe. I like the texture and flavor from the seed crunch. You can see how good that crunch is; can't you? source: JH Adriatic 2014

Name:	1989498.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	286.8 KB
ID:	6997

Name:	1989500.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	193.5 KB
ID:	6998

Name:	1989501.jpg
Views:	372
Size:	198.4 KB
ID:	6999
            jimmie aka JD | tallahassee.fl | zone.8b | davistating.eBay

Comment

• JD
              JD commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks eboone!

• Taverna78
              Taverna78 commented
              Editing a comment
              Jd I agree with Boone. Wonderful photo! Tis fig is ready green or dark?

• Hammer
              Hammer commented
              Editing a comment
              Darn, that looks great. Currently rooting 2 JH's. Should I be concerned with the open eye in a wet an humid zone 9?

I have one but it didn't seem to grow a whole lot this past year. Going to put it in the ground any way and see what happens. Should do great on the humid Gulf Coast. Im very excited about this one!

Comment

In addition to one in my driveway,
              I'm lucky enough to have one JH Adriatic in a 20 gallon pot in a greenhouse.
              Exquisite flavor , even when grown in a greenhouse
              Kerry - NH zone 5
              Wish list - Del Sen Jaume Gran , Angelito ,Thermalito , Exquisito , Campaniere, Teramo , White Madeira #1 .

Comment

• Kelby
                Kelby commented
                Editing a comment
                Looking good!

I need it in my life. Might not be super rare, but if it's as good as it sounds then I must find it. Let the hunt begin.
              Proudly Serving in the United States Armed Forces, 2009-2017
              Everyone should have a green thumb

Comment

Everyone tree looks outstandingly belle! Tis my JH I receive from my mentor WillsC.
                Grazie again Will. I wish I should of take photo and size of each tree you send me to compare now, they all are almost out grown 3 gallon and 5 gallon pot already!
                You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 3 photos.
                Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
                1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy 👼🏼.
                2) This weeks ebay auctions.

Comment

Here's mine, rooted this spring.
                  (thank you WillsC)
                  Rotterdam / the Netherlands.
                  Zone 8B

Comment

Awesome pictures.. I'm glad my cutting that I rooted were successful. ..
                    Zone 6a Orange County NY

Comment

All those pics is making my mouth water, my lil jh adriatic didn't grow very much, it's been in ground for 2 seasons and is only about 2' tall.
                      Ryan- CenLa, zone 8a/b

Comment

• Sarahkt
                        Sarahkt commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I've had mine for less than a year and it seemed to be so busy setting out fruit that it didn't have enough energy to grow any taller. It was potted up too, so it had a lot of root growth. Hoping it gets a lot bigger next year. I want a lot more of this variety!

Have a cutting of this in the fridge and plan to try rooting it this winter. Fingers crossed.
                      Bryant...Franklin County, VA...Zone 7a. Wish List: a 32 hour day....more sleep

Comment

Any way to get a few cuttings from one of these? Macmikeal (at) me (dot) com

Comment

I got a 5-gal Adriatic JH earlier this year from a generous forum member. It has been precocious and set a lot of delicious figs for a small tree, pretty much one at every node. The last few I picked early to avoid losing them to frosts altogether and they tasted great even when not perfectly ripe. Already one of my favorites! I plan to try to root/layer a few more for a spare and to give to family members who haven't been impressed with (store-bought unripe Brown Turkey) figs previously.

Admittedly I haven't had ripe fruit off too many of my trees yet to compare, but I got to taste a lot of varieties from others' trees in August and it remains very high on the list.

Adriatic JH are the four on the right, still delicious and looked fantastic even though picked a few days early in advance of frosts.
                          You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.
                          Last edited by Sarahkt; 12-14-2015, 07:50 PM. Reason: fixed pictures
                          Sarah
                          Bay Area, CA (zone: 9B)

Comment

• Tuckerbob
                            Tuckerbob commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Those look delicious

Does anyone stil have some refrigerated cuttings they would be willing to part with, or willing to air layer a JH Adriatic for me? I ordered some cuttings last year and managed to kill all 3 of them, alas. I made the mistake of putting them in a sunny window and they grew like crazy on the top, then rotted under the soil. Heartbreaking! I killed 32 cuttings that way. 😫That's how one learns though... I would be happy to pay, or I could trade an Improved Celeste air layer in a couple months (that is my only fig tree right now, but it is yummy!)
                          Wishlist:Violette de Sollies, CdDN, RdB, Petite Negri, Franks Salerno, Florea, LSU tiger, Longue d’aout, black jack, I-258, Brooklyn white, black mission, smith...

Comment

• ginamcd
                            ginamcd commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Sending pm

I have been looking for cuttings of this all over the place. Every time I get something set up it falls through. Anyone able to help???
                          Starting collection over due to hard frost and neglect from traveling for work (lost close to 60 varieties). Looking for Sodus Sicilian, and anything else worth while

Comment

• ginamcd
                            ginamcd commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Sending pm

figgary gifted a single cutting along with some others and it rooted easily. It’s in a tree pot now. Hoping it does well after reading this thread...can’t wait to taste a fresh fig from my own trees.
                          Wish list: sangue dolce, HdA, Pasteliere, Luv, CC, colonel littmans,
                          Princeton, NJ. Z6B

Comment

My first two fig trees I got and planted in ground from Willsc one of which was an AJH. What an excellent fig and vigorous grower. Just started to put out some brebas.
                            You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

Working...
                            X