• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tuckerbob
    commented on 's reply
    Those look delicious

• CliffH
    commented on 's reply
    Any Green Ischia/Verte type figs, including the Adriatic JH, should do very well there. They have been grown successfully over much central and eastern Texas for decades.

A Mt Etna (like MBVS, HC), Smith, VdB, or any of the LSU figs should also do very well there.

• FigoVegas
    replied
    I'm glad this post popped back up in the que. I've been trying to decide which fig to send to a friend that recently moved to Nacogdoches and was unsure of what varieties would be best suited there. I'm adding this one to my collection in Vegas this year and have an extra that sounds like it will work well in Nacogdoches as well! Any other suggestions for East TX would be appreciated as well.

Leave a comment:

• Ruben
    replied
    Thank you Ed

Leave a comment:

• eboone
    commented on 's reply
    still have a few available cheap here: https://www.ourfigs.com/forum/figs-h...ms-see-updates

• Ruben
    replied
    Does anybody have some cuttings available please let me know! Thanks

Leave a comment:

• Fig-Doctor
    commented on 's reply
    Looks very very nice!

• Rafaelissimmo
    commented on 's reply
    Green Ischia is smaller, earlier and will not split. A perfect Green Ischia does not come close to matching a perfect AJH, but it is very difficult in my zone to get a great AJH to ripen before they start to split in Autumn. If you have a long season and dry weather, Adriatic JH is a top fig. I no longer have 4 trees, just the one.

• Hammer
    commented on 's reply
    Darn, that looks great. Currently rooting 2 JH's. Should I be concerned with the open eye in a wet an humid zone 9?

• twoputz
    commented on 's reply
    in your opinion, is it better than a Green Ischia? If yes, why?

• Fig-Doctor
    replied
    Adriatic JH is one of the most productive green fig at my garden (Zone 10a). I stared growing this year February from cutting. Fruits are at almost every sing node. Very impressive performance.

Leave a comment:

• ginamcd
    commented on 's reply
    Sending pm

• ginamcd
    commented on 's reply
    Sending pm

• KK
    replied
    JH
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Leave a comment:

• Altadena Mara
    replied
    My Adriatic JH tree is several years old and it’s figs are very good but Bourjassotte Grise (slightly bigger) and the Strawberry Vertes are better. AJH is in a ground location with afternoon shade (perhaps influential) and one SV is also in the ground but gets full sun. The tastes are similar but SV ripens earlier. I forget the taste of the breba. Battaglia is also similar in taste. If you like the fruity flavor of this variety, you might want to grow AJH, SV, BG and Battaglia. Here they ripen at slightly different times so give more great figs over time.
    Here are the only notes I could find:
    September 18, 2015 -Adriatic JH –mild berry flavor, slight acid, skin thin and eatable, but nothing remarkable. Didn’t even taste that sweet after Pete’s Honey.
    November 20, 2015 – more fruit ripe. Strong berry flavor, good acidity and almost adequate sweetness. Of course, anything would taste sour compared to Pete’s Honey.

Leave a comment:

• vito12831
    commented on 's reply
    That’s a beautiful looking fig Rafael, I can almost taste it.

• chrisw
    replied
    My first two fig trees I got and planted in ground from Willsc one of which was an AJH. What an excellent fig and vigorous grower. Just started to put out some brebas.
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.

Leave a comment:

• Cguitar
    commented on 's reply
    That looks like strawberry jam! Yum!

• Tonytone
    replied
    figgary gifted a single cutting along with some others and it rooted easily. It’s in a tree pot now. Hoping it does well after reading this thread...can’t wait to taste a fresh fig from my own trees.

Leave a comment:

• Nic40
    replied
    I have been looking for cuttings of this all over the place. Every time I get something set up it falls through. Anyone able to help???

Leave a comment:

• CandiceR
    replied
    Does anyone stil have some refrigerated cuttings they would be willing to part with, or willing to air layer a JH Adriatic for me? I ordered some cuttings last year and managed to kill all 3 of them, alas. I made the mistake of putting them in a sunny window and they grew like crazy on the top, then rotted under the soil. Heartbreaking! I killed 32 cuttings that way. 😫That's how one learns though... I would be happy to pay, or I could trade an Improved Celeste air layer in a couple months (that is my only fig tree right now, but it is yummy!)

Leave a comment:

• Levar
    commented on 's reply
    jeeeeeez that looks good.

• Sarahkt
    commented on 's reply
    I've had mine for less than a year and it seemed to be so busy setting out fruit that it didn't have enough energy to grow any taller. It was potted up too, so it had a lot of root growth. Hoping it gets a lot bigger next year. I want a lot more of this variety!

• GregMartin
    commented on 's reply
    Wow! How cold did it get for you?

• Sarahkt
    replied
    I got a 5-gal Adriatic JH earlier this year from a generous forum member. It has been precocious and set a lot of delicious figs for a small tree, pretty much one at every node. The last few I picked early to avoid losing them to frosts altogether and they tasted great even when not perfectly ripe. Already one of my favorites! I plan to try to root/layer a few more for a spare and to give to family members who haven't been impressed with (store-bought unripe Brown Turkey) figs previously.

Admittedly I haven't had ripe fruit off too many of my trees yet to compare, but I got to taste a lot of varieties from others' trees in August and it remains very high on the list.

Adriatic JH are the four on the right, still delicious and looked fantastic even though picked a few days early in advance of frosts.
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.
    Last edited by Sarahkt; 12-14-2015, 07:50 PM. Reason: fixed pictures

Leave a comment:

Working...
X