X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fig Cuttings

Please share with me your experiences. When you take a cutting do you prefer the lower thicker cutting that has been cut at both ends or do you prefer the, possibly thinner, tip or terminal cutting?

Ian
    Ian

Really happy with what I have.

I'm find that my thicker cuttings are doing better, not drying out.
    Zone 7a in Virginia

Comment

Ian, I also prefer the thicker cutting myself. That doesn't mean I'll turn away the thinner terminal ones. I just find them a little harder to root.
      Dave- Waterford, Ct. Zone 6a

Comment

The thicker cuttings have more enery stored and are therefore easier, they are more tolerant to less then optimal environment and care. The thinner ones have just as much chance at being successful, yet having less energy there is minimal margin for error.

I concur that thicker is better, however, I will try with anything I get.
        Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

Through my experience with Lots of purchases and losses, I have found that I do not have much or any success with pithy new growth. I have much better success with older cuttings that have been lignified and not green, so that's not the tips usually and further down towards the base. I wish I could tell what I was getting before the purchase. I am still new at this and I'm sure others are able to root new growth, I have better success with older fatter cuttings probably because they have more stored energy and are more forgiving to all mistakes. This is just my opinion ...
          WL: English Brown turkey, Improved celeste, Ishia Black, Cravens Craven, Fico Preto, CDD Roja, golden riverside, Violette de Sollies, White Madiera, I 258,

Comment

To me they all root the same. Lignified growth is better than green growth but tip vs lower is not. Thicker cuttings typically take longer to root for me but they root perfectly well. Cuttings from wood 3 years or older can take a lot longer to produce shoots, sometimes over a year.
            Bob C. KC, MO Zone 6a. Wanted: Martineca Rimada, Galicia Negra, Fioroni Ruvo, De La Reina - Pons, Tauro, BFF, Sefrawi, Sbayi, Mavra Sika , Fillaciano Bianco, Corynth, Souadi, Acciano Purple, LSU Tiger, LSU Red, Cajun Gold, BB-10 any great tasting fig

Comment

• The Figster
              The Figster commented
              Editing a comment
              Great insight, thank you
          Working...
          X