X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A fast solar heating project.

My propagation room was staying a bit too cold even with a heater in it on the cold days. The roof and the west facing walls are clear but the room does not get sun until after noon. The prop room is connected on one end to the front green house and the greenhouse gets very warm. By 9:00am on a sunny day it can be over 90 degrees. First thought was to simply use a fan to blow or draw that warm air in to the prop room but the problem is it tanks my humidity. So I decided to make it a closed system and after some googling I cam up with this incredibly simple system. It is 4" corrugated solid drain pipe that runs the length of the greenhouse, crosses at the front and returns. The air from the prop room enters at the lower pipe makes the route and there is a duct fan connected to the pipe at the upper entry point. The air is over 100 degrees coming in to the room. With a thermostat to shut the fan off when the room hits 80 degrees and a timer to have the fan only able to come on between 9:00am and 4pm. Works like a charm.

Click image for larger version

Name:	solar1.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	67101

Click image for larger version

Name:	solar2.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	67102
    Cutting sales start Nov 1 at 9PM eastern time as always at willsfigs.com

Brilliant. I had a similar setup in my greenhouse mine was a closed system hooked to Woodburn the circulated water through pipes underground to keep the soil Temps up around 75.
    Garden Pics
    http://s117.photobucket.com/user/the...?sort=3&page=1

Comment

Hey MacGyver! Nice job and good thinking! how come fan no on 24/7 or is bad to have fan blowing on plants 24/7.
      Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
      1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy 👼🏼.
      2) This weeks ebay auctions.

Comment

Smart idea. You should be a civil engineer.
        Jerry, Canyon Lake TX 8b

Comment

Setting in the sun at the top of the greenhouse I'm surprised it's only 100F.
          Alpine, Texas 4500ft elevation Zone 7
          http://growingfruit.org/

Comment

Nice, now I have to work on one for mine.
            Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana
            Buffalo WV Z6

Comment

Originally posted by fruitnut View Post
              Setting in the sun at the top of the greenhouse I'm surprised it's only 100F.

If I had the side curtains rolled up the air coming out would be hotter but really don't want it any hotter.

Comment

Originally posted by Taverna78 View Post
                Hey MacGyver! Nice job and good thinking! how come fan no on 24/7 or is bad to have fan blowing on plants 24/7.

Mike there are two fans in the prop room that run 24/7. That fan though if I ran it at night with no sun on it would blow air whatever the outside temperature is so it just runs 9:00am to 4:00PM. After that it is just the heaters that keep the room warm.

Comment

• Taverna78
                  Taverna78 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  So only have fans on to move air around at day time but night time have all off beside heater?
              Working...
              X