X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Big Thank You to the Community

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to take some time to say thank you to everyone that helped me this cutting season. This summer I went from 10 or so very common varieties (Brown Turkey, Black Mission, Celeste, etc...) to an additional 135 highly desired varieties. I could not be more excited!
    Abebereira Italian Black Red Lebanese
    Acciano JH Adriatic Red Libya
    Aldo Jurupa Rob's GN
    Alma Kathleen's Black Salce
    Angelo's Dark Keddie Salem Dark
    Armenian LaRadek's BT Salem White
    Atreano Lebanese Red Sals Corleone
    Barada Longue D'Aout Sals EL
    Bari LSU Champagne Scotts Yellow
    Barnisotte LSU Gold Socorro Black
    Battaglia Green LSU Hollier Souadi
    Beall LSU Purple St. Jerome
    Black Bethlehem LSU Scott's Black St. Rita
    Black Greek LSU Thib Strawberry Verte
    Black Madeira LSU Tiger Sucrette
    Black Mission Lyndhurst White Sultane
    Blava (Campenera) Macool Sweet George
    Bourjassotte Gris Mad002 Sweet Joy
    Briogotto Nero Malta Black Syrian Long
    Brooklyn Dark Maltese Beauty Takoma Violet
    Brooklyn White Maltese Falcon Tena
    California BT Manresa Valle Negra
    Carini Marseilles Black VS VdB
    Carne Don Celia Mary Lane Seedless Verte
    Carvalho Mavra Sika Victoria
    CDD Rimada Mead Vincenzo
    Col de Dam Blanc Napolitana Violette Dauphine
    Col de Dam Gris Natalina Vista
    Col de Dam Noir Native Black White Ischia
    Dark Portugeuse Native de Argentile White Triana
    De la Reina Negra D'Adge Wuhan
    De la Roca Negretta Zadar Black
    Deanna Nero 600m Zingarella
    Dominick's Black NJ Red
    Dr. Monticello Noire de Barbentane
    Dr. Gowaty Noire de Caromb
    Emerald Strawberry Nordland
    Fico Gentile Norella
    Figo Branca Olympian
    Galbun Osborne Prolific
    Galicia Negra Panachee
    Gino's Black Paradiso Bronze
    Goccia d'Oro Pastiliere
    Golden Riverside Petite Aubique
    Gros Monstreuse di Lipari Planera
    Hunt Preto
    Igo Princesa
    Improved Celeste Raspberry Latte
    Ischia Black RdB
    Italian 258 Red Israel
    I did have to spend a pretty penny this fall/winter to build my collection, but I COULD NOT have done it without all the very generous people apart of our community. I feel very lucky to be apart of something so awesome, and you have no idea how excited I am to be tasting some of these varieties this summer. Here's how I did it, and the people I want to thank:

First I want to thank Tony of MountainFigs. He is a very generous seller & person and his sales deserve a lot more attention. His cuttings always arrive in prime condition and he was one of the first people to work with me to help me expand my collection. He answered a lot of my newbie questions and was extremely patient with me. I could not ask for more. Thank you, Tony. http://mountainfigs.net/availability/

drivewayfarmer - Again unbelievable prices, generous & probably has offered me the highest quality cuttings of any seller I've purchased from this season. http://www.ebay.com/usr/drivewayfarm...72.m2749.l2754

Herman2 - This guy sends a crapton of wood.. More than anyone else, and even of his more highly sought after varieties. Because of the large amounts of wood he sends, I was able to use that wood to trade for other highly sought after varieties. He also lives 20 minutes away from me, so little does he know that I'm always looking for his opinion before purchasing a new variety.

waynea - Wayne sent me 9 varieties for 1 cutting of Preto. Absolutely unbelievable... And to top it off, I was able to obtain Preto because I was sent cuttings of Preto & Strawberry Verte from Tyro for next to nothing.

Vito - Again, unbelievably generous. Vito sent me tons of wood of Black Zadar, Ischia Black & Angelo's Dark for 1 cutting of Zingarella...

HarveyC - Have you seen his new ordering page? Pons varieties for reasonable prices... Whaaat? http://www.figaholics.com/cuttings.htm

GTO171 (Marcus) - Fantastic prices, lots of wood, good quality & hopefully a good friend I'll have the pleasure of meeting this summer. http://www.ebay.com/usr/gto171?_trks...72.m2749.l2754

BigBadBill - I'm not sure if he's actually big & bad, haha, but he's definitely the generous type our community needs. He has the right attitude when it comes to sharing what he grows and we should all follow his example. See his facebook page, it's not just for figs. Special note: check out his bonsai's growing in rock pots. They're pretty cool: https://www.facebook.com/offthebeatenpathnurseries

WillsC - It's obvious that this guy is an extremely hard worker and will do anything to make his customers & forum members happy. If you want the special offers, I suggest joining his forum. He just had a lottery for Ponte Tresa & Genovese Nero & has over 100 varieties currently listed on ebay: http://www.ourfigs.com/forum/figs-home

GreenFin (James) - I think we all know what a great job James is doing. Between his cutting sale & now his $7 a variety offer, he's shaking things up, and I'm happy to see someone as ambitious as he is. It's also very apparent that he will stop at nothing to ensure the happiness of his customers. http://www.figcuttings.com/p/fig-trees-for-sale.html

hooiserbanana - I sent Brent some of the smallest cuttings I had, and received more in return than I could imagine. Like Vito & Wayne.. extremely generous.

Petechanr - I had multiple trades with Pete. He taught me the value of sending extras that the person you're trading with doesn't expect. Guaranteed way to make a good impression. I'm very glad to see his cuttings doing well. He's also a fantastic seller on Ebay: http://www.ebay.com/usr/rfactor12?_t...19.m1438.l2754

strudledog (Phil) - Again, I got more than what I asked for. Phil is helpful, knowledgeable.. would recommend again. 10/10.

Kelby - Kelby is very helpful & had a fantastic cutting sale on ourfigs this fall.
    Rui - Fantastic cutting sale on ourfigs this fall. Thank you, Rui!
    SCfigFanatic - Doug is generous and very knowledgable. See his 3 cup method: http://figs4funforum.websitetoolbox.com/post/my-3-cup-method-revised-7834836?highlight=cup+method&pid=1290292111
    Greenguy (Cian) Good trader, would trade with again. Thanks Cian.
    Bluemalibu - Blue sent me a crazy amount of Apricot, Apple & Asian Pear scion wood. I'm very excited to be able to do my first grafting with the extra wood he sent me.
    bigmike - Good trader, would trade with again. Thanks Mike.
    Hobo62288 (Bryan) Good trader, would trade with again. Thanks Bryan.
    ADelmanto - Good trader, would trade with again. Sent lots of wood! Thanks Aaron.
    dfoster25 (Dave) - Fantastic cutting package I purchased from Dave in the fall. Lots of bang for your buck.. would recommend again and again.
    johnjay7491 - Good trader, would trade with again. Thanks John.
    FiggyFrank - Great deal on Carini Unknown.

AscPete - I'm not sure why this dude answers my questions, but he always does. And there's been a ton.. What a fantastic & helpful source of information he is.. thank you, Pete!

Lastly, I want to give a special shoutout to figpig_66 (Richie) & Eboone (Ed). These two were the first that were willing to trade with me when I had absolutely nothing that interested them in return. They've shown me kindness and inspired me to show the same kindness to others, which is why this summer I will be doing some kind of plant giveaway.

Again, thank you everyone. I hope I'm not forgetting anyone, and I hope that by sharing my experiences that will help spread & continue the enormous amounts of generosity I've been so undeservingly shown.

-Ross
    Last edited by COGardener; 01-30-2016, 06:35 PM.
    Zone 7A - Philadelphia
    Flavor Profiles & Variety List / Facebook / YouTube / Blog

Ross, what a great write up for some really special people. I can vouch for what you said on many of them and they do a fantastic job. As you stated, they all send more than what you expect. I hope your collection continues to grow and grow and grow as mine did a few years ago. Its hard to believe but I even have a few that you did not list. LOL
    Last edited by newnandawg; 01-30-2016, 04:53 PM.
    newnandawg 7b Newnan, GA

Comment

• ross
      ross commented
      Editing a comment
      Haha, yeah... we can get a little carried away, can't we?

That's an incredible list Ross Wow! Agreed long list of great members there.
    Iowa Z5

Comment

That is quite a list Ross... Congrats!!!

Hmmm... Philly..... I'll be passing through there around March I believe....... You on vacation then? I could stop by and do some shopping!!!
      Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

• ross
        ross commented
        Editing a comment
        Haha, Scott. March is a very busy time for me. I'm a public accountant and march is right in the middle of tax season. What about the summer?

You have been busy Ross
      Cutting sales have ended for the season. Plant sales will start March 1 at 8 eastern time. If it is still too cold in your area I can hold your plants till a date of your choosing.

Comment

• ross
        ross commented
        Editing a comment
        You have no idea, haha. I've got about 400 sticks in my fridge. I'm gonna lose my mind this spring trying to root the rest of what I have.

Wow! Nice list. Have you gotten them all rooted already?
      Don - OH Zone 6a Wish list: Zaffiro, Moro de Caneva, Nerucciolo d'Elba, Bordissot Blanca Negra, Rubado

Comment

• ross
        ross commented
        Editing a comment
        No, Don! About 40 varieties are in decent shape. The rest are either rooting or are just sticks in the fridge.

• don_sanders
        don_sanders commented
        Editing a comment
        Sweet. Good luck with them all.

That's a lot to root, good luck!
      Rafael
      Zone 10b, Miami, FL

Comment

Nice write-up and ack of some of the very generous folks on this forum...
        Tony - Zone 6A
        WL- Good Health, a 60 lb Striped Bass, a Boone and Crockett Typical Buck, bushels of ripe Black Madeira figs, bushels of ripe Hachiya and other tasty Diospyros Kaki Persimmons

Comment

I think we all have an addiction and we all enable each other ha!!

great post Ross
          Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
          1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy 👼🏼.
          2) This weeks ebay auctions.

Comment

Good growing, Ross!
            https://www.figbid.com/Listing/Browse?Seller=Kelby
            SE PA
            Zone 6

Comment

Wow! I went from 6 varieties to 35 this year, and my wife thinks I'm crazy. [She eats the figs, of course.] Thank you for making me look almost restrained!
              Joe, Z6B, RI.

Comment

Working...
              X