X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hai fame? Italiano deve attendere per rispondere se lo sai ...

Tis lunch we make tonight(Notte) .... Can you tell me what is correct name and spelling and why most can no figure out how to keep rice sticky enough to roll it?
    Tis meal nothing to do with fico ~until they ripe then I show you desert sweet version~
    If you can tell me answer for stickiness then i send you my papa recipie.... As you see photo he is help make and enjoy...

Salute
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 8 photos.
    Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
    1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy 👼🏼.
    2) This weeks ebay auctions.

What kind of rice are you using? Stuff like Uncle Ben's likes there's to not be sticky for some reason.

Korean rice is generally pretty sticky and is cheap at Korean stores. And don't add any butter while cooking the rice.
    Don - OH Zone 6a Wish list: Zaffiro, Moro de Caneva, Nerucciolo d'Elba, Bordissot Blanca Negra, Rubado

Comment

• Levar
      Levar commented
      Editing a comment
      I completely agree about the Uncle Ben's stuff. It's totally the wrong kind of rice. Also, you're spot-on about trying Asian rices. However, arancini often uses leftover risotto that's been prepared with a fat, vegetables, and seasonings for the base. A little bit of fat to lubricate the veg and the rice won't affect the cohesiveness, granted there's not too much.

• Taverna78
      Taverna78 commented
      Editing a comment
      Very good to name !

• Taverna78
      Taverna78 commented
      Editing a comment
      Is Risotto Cugino

Arancini!

It depends on what kind of rice you use. Short grain rices when made into risotto will keep a shape - the rice can be anything like vialone nano, arborio, or even sushi rice. The idea is to have good development of liquid starch and then to reduce it slightly so it's sticky. If you make the rice the consistency of regular risotto, it won't stick together. You have to take it to the level of tenderness of risotto and keep cooking it to get the liquid down.

Some people will help the mixture cohere by mixing egg yolks or besciamella into the completely cooled risotto. This, of course, also affects the texture. I don't really like adding yolks that much, but that's just me.

Comment

These recipes are correct. They're the Sicilian version, but the basic procedure is the same. You can change the seasonings and even leave out the meat and veg if you want.

Italian: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDMQLMm8VTE

English: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDAbKAjXzu8

Comment

• Taverna78
        Taverna78 commented
        Editing a comment
        I should watch video before I post to make ahahahaha! Will of save me typing and time
        Although we do use egg white for
        Hand so rice stick better.

I could be wrong, but rinsing the rice before cooking it can affect the rice sticking together. Rinsing removes excess starch.
      Edward - Edgewater, Florida (Zone 9b)
      Wish List: Holy Smokes, U. Prosciutto, Ham Rham, Labritja

Comment

• Taverna78
        Taverna78 commented
        Editing a comment
        We just cook rice in morning and keep lid on pot until we make them. It cool down to just little warm and is manageable to form ball in hand. Many people use olive oil in recipe and is then where they ball come apart in fryer. When you mix yolk into rice before you start make ball is key because when you use egg white to coat outside ball with and roll in bread crumb when is in fryer they 2 part egg fuse together. Too much salt will also cause to fall apart. In all we make only used maybe 1.5 tablespoon.

• Levar
        Levar commented
        Editing a comment
        Interesting. Again, while I've never done it myself because I was taught not to, J.Kenji López-Alt of seriouseats.com definitely reiterates common wisdom about not disposing of short grain rice's exterior starches for the purpose of making risotto. It contributes to the creaminess and stirring rice only serves to ensure evenly-cooked risotto.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2011/10/t...f-risotto.html
        Disposing of the exterior starch creates risotto with no creaminess.

Essentially what worked best was when he rinsed the rice in his stock and wine and then cooked the rice with the reserved, starchy rinsing liquid. http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2...to-recipe.html

Another point for experimentation in the kitchen!

But when it comes to a lot of Asian rices, rinsing is just part of how you achieve the desired result. Traditional Pakistani Basmati rice comes to mind.
        Last edited by Levar; 02-01-2016, 06:32 PM.

• Taverna78
        Taverna78 commented
        Editing a comment
        I really no see about wash or anything with rice. We no wash it. No chemical. No nada... Just make stuff rice ball and make in ball... Fry is all... If any bad stuff in or on ball you are cook rice then put very hot oil. Will kill everything. tis way. You ganna eat something so good you can risk dirty rice... But we make tis way many MANY years and we okay beside out 7 eyes! Ahahahaha!! No no no really is think too much about it. You will be surprise what is done and no done in food preparation. Tis simple food

Those look great, Mike!

Thanks for sharing.

Kevin (Eastern MA - Zone 5b/6a)

Comment

Prego Fitz!

Actually Levar is correct enough
        Is Arancini
        And I explain process and then will send you different recipie in Pm for couple meal to try if you like.

If you make standard white rice and cook it almost to finish but no complete and let sit to cool down to almost cool warm is perfect packing. We make about 50 last night All you do is take 10 pound of rice and about 8 egg. Separate the egg and add the yolk to the rice. Keep white of egg close.
        Next maybe table spoon salt and about 2 cup of whatever you favorite gravy is also in rice and lastly about 1-2 cups of
        Grated Parmesan and pecker Reno Romano

In filling you can put whatever we do neckbone gravy peas and fresh mozzarella cheese sometime other soft types cheese but tis time just mozza.

So take remember egg white? Tis is your glue. Dip hands into egg white and then make small patty with rice in you hand and then cup it in hand like little bowl. Add scoop of your filler and 1 piece mozza and then again dip hand egg and put just enough to make top cover no exposing filler and make like you make snowball. Roll thru Italia seasoned bread crumb and put in refridgator for about 2 hour. Tis will come out and will never come apart. Then deep fry and wait for golden brown color. Spilt in half and pour you gravy over the top. Enjoy!
        Is a very heavy meal so no go crazy to make many because they reall only best make fresh. To cook and refrigerate lose is crisp and to freeze before cook is no good either because then they will fall apart for sure.

Comment

• Levar
          Levar commented
          Editing a comment
          Cool - thanks!

I've never had it this way before. So you do it in almost a milanese style with the egg white + crumb coating. The difference being that instead of dunking the raw ball into eggs, when you form the arancino you're introducing the adhesive to each crack in the rice coating. That'd be really nice!
          I definitely see how egg whites would help standard white rice hold together.

My great grandmother used to make arancini every Sunday and taught my mom, who taught me. She was from Bari and eventually lived in Brooklyn. Then, when I went to culinary school, the risotto method is all we were taught. But I'll definitely try your method the next time I make arancini.

I've been meaning to make one with mushrooms and taleggio, actually. Now I have a good excuse.
          Last edited by Levar; 02-01-2016, 08:44 AM.

Belle! Is just different way but simple

Also when fig ripe (it may no sound good but I love ) we cut 1/2 fig and add chocolate piece inside, fry and add powder sugar and drizzle Carmel over top for desert

Comment

Originally posted by Taverna78 View Post
          Belle! Is just different way but simple

Also when fig ripe (it may no sound good but I love ) we cut 1/2 fig and add chocolate piece inside, fry and add powder sugar and drizzle Carmel over top for desert
          That sounds amazing. The flavor profile sounds similar to some preparations of cartellate. I'd love that. I'm doing that next summer, for sure.
          Do you have any figs you like using in particular?

You might know this but for anyone reading who doesn't: In Pugliese cuisine, they have something called "Cartellate" which is a kind of crispy, egg-based doughnut that's been shaped into a kind of pinwheel and often served with "vincotto di fichi", which is basically figs (dried or fresh) that have been cooked down in water to create a honey-like syrup. To serve, you can garnish the cartellate with various other flavors including cinnamon and chocolate.

You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Pitta ‘mpigliat looks really beautiful. I've never had it before. You're Calabrese, then? I'm American but my family is part Laziale (Palombara-Sabina) and part Barese.

About the English word for it: It seems like "Cartellate" is more similar to "chiacchiere" whereas "Pitta ‘mpigliat" looks like it might be close to what Americans call "cinnamon rolls / cinnamon buns" or "pinwheels." (Although "pinwheels" can be anything that has that shape - even tuna and avocado.)

However, cinnamon rolls seem like they'd only be close, but not really interchangeable.

"Ingredienti: Farina di grano duro, zucchero, Olio extravergine di oliva, spremuta d'arancia dolce, vermouth oppure vino dolce, cannella, chiodi di garofano, bucce d'arancia essiccate e macinate finemente e un bicchierino di liquore aromatico (paisanella in particolare, grappa tipica silana); per il ripieno: noci, uva sultanina, mandarinetto, liquore aromatico misto, chiodi di garofano, cannella e zucchero."

I think it's uncommon for Americans to use citrus, and definitely not wine, grappa, or olive oil. And we often add a white frosting syrup.
          You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Sì.... Reggio CZ Italia

Tis last photo you post different. Is look soft. My photo tis is hard and dry. Very heavy. Mostly is walnut raisin and honey syrup. Sometime depend who make it and what country all can be made differently fruits and nuts. But common way is how I show

Comment

Some people use their leftover risotto to make arancini. There is never any leftover risotto at my house. I have to make a fresh pot of arborio rice to make them.
              USDA Zone 9b Wish list: Abruzzi, Pasquale, Filacciano, Tagliacozzo, Zingarella, Godfather. Any, including unknowns, from Abruzzo, Italy.

Comment

Working...
              X