X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Varieties that should not be started indoors too early

Has anyone ever thought about starting a list of varieties which should be started later (closer to when they can be moved outside) because they grow very aggressively and/or have very large leaves? This type sucks up all the available light from the other plants and creates space issues. If so I vote for Malta Black and Atreano. Don't get me wrong. I am happy happy happy they are growing so well. But if I knew I would have started them towards the end of Feb in NJ. Maybe even April.

Yes, they do get big in a hurry. My Figo Preto and Gino's Black have been rapid growers. You can start trimming the top back if needed. But that does cause lots of new shoots that eventually need cutting back or off. Give em a shot of FMV, that will slow them down.
    Alpine, Texas 4500ft elevation Zone 7
    http://growingfruit.org/

Comment

Start air layers 😁
      Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
      1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy πŸ‘ΌπŸΌ.
      2) This weeks ebay auctions.

Comment

Figo preto is extremely fast growing with huge leaves, mine is now to big for my 5x5 grow tent.

Comment

Yep, they all eventually shadow each other. As you said, it's better to start cuttings around March/April if you have a bunch you want to root. I did this last year and it worked out great for my zone. It's nice to root a few during the colder months just to keep the excitement of figs going though.
          Frank ~ zone 7a VA

Comment

What are you people doing to your Pretos? My original tree grew like a monster the first year and the last 4 years grew about 4-6 inches per year, ie not much. My other baby did not grow mych as a 1st year plant.
            Rafael
            Zone 10b, Miami, FL

Comment

• brettjm
              brettjm commented
              Editing a comment
              Clearly you're not sacrificing enough small animals to the fig gods. That's probably your biggest problem.

• Rafaelissimmo
              Rafaelissimmo commented
              Editing a comment
              Brett I sacrifice about a squirrel a week, that's not enuf?? Lol
          Working...
          X