X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Other fruit scions available

I'm doing some pruning on my trees (the deer are helping) and will have some wood leftover if anyone wants it for shipping ($5 should do it). Grafting is as fun as rooting, I think!

Apples: Liberty and Enterprise
    Pears: Red Anjou and Summercrisp
    Plum: Green Gage
    Peach: Sensation (a genetic miniature)
    Last edited by COGardener; 02-03-2016, 06:48 PM.
    https://www.figbid.com/Listing/Browse?Seller=Kelby
    SE PA
    Zone 6

Awesome offer Kelby!

I wish i had the room on my small NY property to grow some fruit bearing trees other than figs of course
    May the Figs be with you!
    ​​​​​

Comment

• COGardener
      COGardener commented
      Editing a comment
      Matt, get some very dwarfing root stock to graft to. Then as the trees grow keep them pruned.

• BrooklynMatty
      BrooklynMatty commented
      Editing a comment
      Scott - i thought about dwarf varieties too. I would have to think really hard where i could put mine without impacting my other seasonal fruit/vegetable growing areas. You were at my place, maybe ill send you some pics and you can help me find a spot. Then i'll see what the best type of fruit that can produce in short time and grafts well so i could go that route.

Kelby, I would love to get them but as a newbie, I have to ask a stupid question. Can you root these or are they just for grafting? A member from the other board sent me apricot cuttings and I am trying to root them. Am I wasting my time? If they are for grafting, where would someone totally new to this get root stock for grafting? I am in zone 9 BTW. Would these even fruit in my zone?
    Edward - Edgewater, Florida (Zone 9b)
    Wish List: Holy Smokes, U. Prosciutto, Ham Rham, Labritja

Comment

• COGardener
      COGardener commented
      Editing a comment
      I've tried to root stone fruit cuttings in the past, they fail every time.

• Kelby
      Kelby commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh , also the rest of your questions. If they will succeed for you is largely dependent on your chilling hours (hours between 32 and 45F needed for flower initiation), no idea how they'll work for you. JF&E may have trees better suited for you than what I have. Rootstocks are available from many mail order nurseries including Burnt Ridge and Raintree for several bucks each.

Some places will have grafting classes you can attend that teach you how to do it. If you can't find any, youtube is a good place to start and you can practice with random twigs. That's pretty much how I taught myself.

• efletche
      efletche commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the info. Definitely looking into it.

I might go for some Green Gage if you make the offer next year, but it would have to go on a Japanese plum, not sure that would work?
    I have too many scions this year already.

Comment

• Kelby
      Kelby commented
      Editing a comment
      Not sure if I'll have the Green Gage next year, stone fruits are generally too much work for me with all the various ailments.

• eboone
      eboone commented
      Editing a comment
      not an expert but I have read that euro plums grafted to Japanese do not always work...

• ers8891
      ers8891 commented
      Editing a comment
      I have a methly plum tree with blue tit euro plum grafted onto it. it worked for me?

I had European and Japanese plums along with peaches and nectarines all grafted to the same tree. They were all growing and doing great until a hard winter killed the tree below the original graft. The root stock survived and I will be starting the grafting process again. Perhaps this year, maybe next.
    Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

• Kelby
      Kelby commented
      Editing a comment
      I've heard, no experience though, that Euro doesn't graft well onto Japanese but Japanese will graft onto Euro without a problem.

• drew51
      drew51 commented
      Editing a comment
      OK, well it doesn't make much sense for me to get the Green Gage. I myself like Indian Free peach and Arctic Glo nectarine I will be growing them till I die. Best fruit I ever had. Well I have a hard time even getting rid of bad fruit. I hate killing anything. I have to learn to do it! Everybody though has different circumstances, so I can see why you might get rid of it. Many tree fruits require little care, most I can't grow here. Some exceptions though. I have to get some Gage trees one of these days...
      Last edited by drew51; 02-02-2016, 04:20 PM.

Teach me about peaches. How do you care for them? How successful are you at getting fruit?
    Bob C. KC, MO Zone 6a. Wanted: Martineca Rimada, Galicia Negra, Fioroni Ruvo, De La Reina - Pons, Tauro, BFF, Sefrawi, Sbayi, Mavra Sika , Fillaciano Bianco, Corynth, Souadi, Acciano Purple, LSU Tiger, LSU Red, Cajun Gold, BB-10 any great tasting fig

Comment

• SarinaP
      SarinaP commented
      Editing a comment
      I grow Red Haven peaches and it took about 3 years to get a significant harvest. I went from 4 to 20 to over 80 peaches each year. I have a little trouble with moths but they don't get every single fruit. This past year I sprayed just once in the early spring when I saw how many tiny green peaches I had. The hardest part is thinning and spacing properly for healthy fruit.

• Harborseal
      Harborseal commented
      Editing a comment
      Squirrels don't eat pears? What kind of spraying do you do?

• Kelby
      Kelby commented
      Editing a comment
      Squirrels haven't bothered pears...yet. I try to minimize spraying, pears can be done no spray.

In my climate I only get a harvest every few years do to the weather. It gets warm, the trees break bud then it freezes.

As far as care, I've had aphids a couple times and that's it. For me they are healthy easy trees.
    Last edited by COGardener; 02-02-2016, 09:20 PM.
    Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

I also have Green Gage plum if someone is interested - mine gives amazingly delicious fruit but sparingly due to rot. Will also have Enterprise apple, Mutsu Apple, and Stark Delicious pear if someone is interested as well. I tried grafting the first time 2 years ago, only 1/12 plum grafts and 1/8 pear grafts took - tried cleft grafting.

I have two wild calleryana pear seedlings growing on my property, would like to try to graft oriental pear to them if someone has wood
      Ed
      SW PA zone 6a

Comment

Great offer! I have been wanting these cuttings for a while now. PM sent. Larrry

Comment

PM sent. thanks for the offer.

Comment

Working...
          X