X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is my CdDN on its way out? ;(

Hi Everyone, I hope I can get some advice to save my CdDN as it does not look happy at all.. I rooted this one back in September and it shot up amazingly well for the first 4-5 months. I had it in a gallon container all that time and I eventually had to pinch the top because it was too tall to fit under the lights.. After that it pushed out 2 new fat buds on the top two nodes but they grew into branches. Baby figs have also started to grow up the whole stem as well so I figured it may be focusing its energy on making them instead of branching out. I wasn't worried until the leaves started yellowing from the bottom & slowly working upwards. I cut them off & decided it may be rootbound and potted up to a 3 gallon (It was rootbound).. Now it seems to just be getting worse.. I have it under 2 different lights (shoplight T8 and a flurescent worklight single bulb 150watt equiv at 6500k) so that it can get light from more than one angle but the remaining leaves are drooping & turning even more yellow.. I don't believe I've overwatered but it's difficult to know for sure especially since I've up potted recently. It's about 65 degrees in my basement with humidity around 40%.. Any suggestions on what I can do? I picked one baby figlet off (broke my heart lol), should I remove the others? I really want to save this tree if at all possible.. Had it going great for too long to lose it just before spring! πŸ˜”
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
    My Plant Inventory: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...HZcBjcsxMwQ7iY

Rooted Cuttings Available 2021:
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...fxsT1DuH8/edit

Here's a couple more pics..you can see the swollen buds and figlets on the first one and a look at the discolored leaves on the 2nd. I've been using .75ml of foliage pro every other watering.. And 1ml protek every 3 or 4 waterings.. Teeny bit of superthrive every 2 weeks also.. Help!
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

I would pick all of the fruit off immediately. In my opinion Superthrive is a waste of money. Try and find the NPK ratio on their website. Dynagrow is the way to go and as with any fertilizer the management of concentration is very important. Could you take a picture further back showing more of the plant? I think it needs more real food.

Ian
      Ian

Really happy with what I have.

Comment

Yes, remove all figs!

Did you have a sudden drop in temp? It looks as though the tree wants to go dormant.
        Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

β€œThough the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

How often did you water and with how much water? What type of potting mix are you using? I was going to suggest more fertilizer, but the amount of Foliage Pro you're using doesn't seem like it deviates enough from the manufacturer suggested dilution to cause that much yellowing.

If the roots looked healthy when you up-potted, the tree should bounce back. I've had some trees last season just stall out and drop leaves (probably due to poor watering practices on my part). They eventually restarted after a couple of weeks. It was a mysterious temporary dormancy.
          Johnny
          Stuff I grow: Google Doc

Comment

i agree with Scott, it looks like it wants to go dormant.

I had a small MBvs in the basement that looked similar a while ago and the all the leaves dropped.

i kept watering it and now it's pushing new growth.

Good Luck
            Kevin (Eastern MA - Zone 5b/6a)

Comment

I just moved the tree upstairs and back into my cutting room where it's 73 degrees and 55% humidity.. Here are a few more pics from further back and in better light..

Thank you for your quick responses everyone, I REALLY appreciate you all for trying to help me figure out what I'm doing wrong here and what I could do to help my CdDN..

So as per Ian & Scott's recommendation the figlets have been removed.. As far as nutrition, I was thinking maybe it was starved because I left it in the 1 gallon pot too long? There was no soil left that wasn't root filled.. The roots were circling but I carefully freed them from the soil and gently placed the tree into a 3 gallon pot.. But it was difficult because it seemed there was not as much extra room as I thought there would be even though I went up 2 gallons in size.. I didn't have a bigger pot last week when I did the up-pot unfortunately.. Planned to move up again at the end of March right as spring begins.. Also, maybe I should just give this tree a single large dose of foliage pro & protek? I also have floranova which I have not used on this plant..

jkuo For soil I used more of a 4-1-1-1 mix of pine bark mulch (sifted), peat, coir, perilite.. Went a bit heavier on the perilite than the peat/coir though.. Added a bit of gypsum & pinch of epsom salts to help with the draw that coir can have N mag & cal.
              I thought that maybe this could be a sort of dormancy that the tree is going through.. Only there has been no temp change at all downstairs in the basement.. It stays consistently between 60-65 degrees no matter the outside temp (at least so far this year anyway it has).

I'm wondering if it needs natural light maybe? Should I move it to a south facing window perhaps? For now I'll keep it upstairs, but please continue to give me advice, I truly appreciate it!
              You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 4 photos.

Comment

I also agree with Scott.
                Cutting sales have ended for the season. Plant sales will start March 1 at 8 eastern time. If it is still too cold in your area I can hold your plants till a date of your choosing.

Comment

In the future I would not remove any leaves manually either. (Unless they are diseased or infested with something) The tree will abort the leaves when it's ready.
                  Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

β€œThough the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

Also now that I'm thinking about it, it has been in sort of a slow decline as far as leaf color & like I said it stopped growing when I pinched it 2 months ago (except for putting on the figlets & swelling buds). It did kind of remind me of the way my outside figs looked in late August/Sept timeframe.. I guess it would make sense that figs need to shed their leaves after a period of time right? The leaves have been on for about 4-5 months.. Pretty much a seasons worth now that I think of it. Sounding indeed like it could be dormancy.. But even without a change in temp/light etc?

fitzski So this same type thing happened to your plant in the basement as well? How long did it take before the growth resumed? Did you continue to fertilize or just plain water?

Comment

• fitzski
                      fitzski commented
                      Editing a comment
                      i think it was a few weeks before it started to push new growth and I just watered with my normal dilute fertilizer.

Still learning about figs but from what I've seen, even if it drops it's leaves, if the stem/bud(s) are still green then it will most likely push new growth.

I have a 2yr old cutting from USDA/UCD that is 12 inches tall. It dropped it's leaves twice the first year and then once last summer. It has resprouted after dropping it's leaves everytime.

Good Luck.

Moving it to a warmer room with better light sounds like a good idea. Have you checked for mites?
                    Don - OH Zone 6a Wish list: Zaffiro, Moro de Caneva, Nerucciolo d'Elba, Bordissot Blanca Negra, Rubado

Comment

• Jamie0507
                      Jamie0507 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Don I did check for mites & they are not there now, however I did have some about 2 months ago.. Residual damage maybe? I used AzaMax to ice those stinking buggers and it worked.. But maybe it could have damaged the leaves back then too? Food for thought.. Thanks for reminding me of that!

It looks it should be okay to me, you got some good information already. I would just add, you will need to be very careful with your watering, I would err on the dryer side until that baby starts to re-establish. I don't think you need anymore nutrients either, you just increased soil volume 66% and have fertigated it. To me it is displaying classic symptoms of being root bound and starved as a result, now it's unhappy and it will take some time to push new roots into the new soil and come to a balance again, I would guess maybe a 3-4 week setback until it is happy again.
                    Calvin, Wish list is to finish working on the new house, someday.
                    Bored? Grab a rake, paint roller, or a cordless drill and come over!

Comment

• Jamie0507
                      Jamie0507 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thank you for the solid advice, everything you suggest makes great sense.. Now I just gotta figure out how to sit tight, be patient, and shoo my watering hand!

Sometimes there is this desire to fix things immediately, but plants don't turn around quickly. Sometimes we try to do too much to fix a problem. Agree completely with never removing leaves of a young cutting unless irrevocably diseased, and with Calvin's advice above about giving it some time and extreme care with watering. Hang in there Jamie, patience is hard with these troublesome plants
                    Ed
                    SW PA zone 6a

Comment

• Jamie0507
                      Jamie0507 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      You're so right Ed, it's almost always best not to jump into things where plants exhibiting what we we believe to be "problematic symptoms" are concerned.. Everything in me wants to do "something" to help, but the best help is most likely to sit tight like you are suggesting.. Thank you for your insight

Jamie

Even if the leaves fall off, as long as the stem is green why worry? Spring will be here soon and hopefully the plant will wake up and grow. Have you tried floralicious? Its a good supplement to fertilizer, good for containerized figs.
                    Rafael
                    Zone 10b, Miami, FL

Comment

• Jamie0507
                      Jamie0507 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Great point Rafael, the stem does look to be in great shape & leaves do come & go at different points naturally anyway.. Also glad to hear the thumbs up on Floralicious products! I have both Floranova & Flora-bloom but was finishing up the foliage pro before opening the bottle.. Johnny I believe the FloraNova is good for earlier "vegetative" phase and Bloom is used later on to help with the fruiting phase, but I don't know from experience just yet

• COGardener
                      COGardener commented
                      Editing a comment
                      http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00A3R...sjL&ref=plSrch

Here you go Johnny

• Rafaelissimmo
                      Rafaelissimmo commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Sorry I wasn't clear Johnny Kuo and Jamie, the product I use is Floralicious Plus, that's the one a few fig people have written about and it seems to do right by me. Expensive no doubt.

You used .75 ml of Foliage Pro in how much water?
                    Bob C. KC, MO Zone 6a. Wanted: Martineca Rimada, Galicia Negra, Fioroni Ruvo, De La Reina - Pons, Tauro, BFF, Sefrawi, Sbayi, Mavra Sika , Fillaciano Bianco, Corynth, Souadi, Acciano Purple, LSU Tiger, LSU Red, Cajun Gold, BB-10 any great tasting fig

Comment

• Jamie0507
                      Jamie0507 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      The devil is in the details right? Lol! Great point, I should have mentioned that, as it is very important detail but skipped that in my hurry to post.. I've been adding .75 to a gallon of water, but when I use my smaller watering can which is a wee bit less than a half gallon I shoot for in between .25ml & .50ml.. Only because some of my cuttings are not as far along.. This one probably could have used the full 1.25ml/gallon recommended on the directions.. Do you think so or no?

• Harborseal
                      Harborseal commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Well you can be sure you didn't over fertilize, which can cause leaf discoloration and dropping.

Now that it's back in better light and warmth you could certainly try giving 1.25 ml/gal. As long as you can handle 3 months of growth and keep it well lit. However, with your current lighting it sounds as if you can't even manage it now. If not then I'd completely stop fertilizing. Keeping this plant well lit would probably mean 4 CFLs around it now but in a month or so you'd probably have to have a 1000W HID setup. Here's my favorite

http://www.amazon.com/Apollo-Horticu...s=apollo+1000W

Then you need a fan and aluminum duct to keep the lamp cool so it lasts longer, a screen for the fan intake and 3) 6" hose clamps.
                      Last edited by Harborseal; 02-04-2016, 03:28 PM.

When I ever in doubt I remove all growth and put to sleep for few days in fridge. Then wake back up. So far work 4 out of 4 times. Is just me tho...
                    Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
                    1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy πŸ‘ΌπŸΌ.
                    2) This weeks ebay auctions.

Comment

• Jamie0507
                      Jamie0507 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      That's a good idea except Im not sure if that would work on this plant.. Because the whole stem grew out of a "two node wonder" that I almost gave up on back in September.. It shot up real fast but then stopped growing about 2 months ago after I pinched it bc It was getting too tall for the lights.. I could put it in the garage though & let it feel the coldness! That would probably throw it fully into dormancy for sure.. Maybe same as fridge would? It's definitely too big for the fridge as is though ;(

Extensive re-potting (where you remove the old soil and untangle the roots) is hell on plants unless they're dormant. We think we're being super careful, but most of the tiny root hairs are probably torn away in the process, leading to a difficulty in water uptake - which can lead to overly wet soil. Give it time. It has to grow back the roots that it lost, while still dealing the transpiration from the leaves.

In the future either re-pot during dormant season, or just plant the whole rootball in the new container. Don't untangle the roots, just cut them where they start to spiral.
                    Fig & Blackberry Farmer in Sunol, CA.

Comment

• eboone
                      eboone commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Good points - I missed that in the previous posts.

• Jamie0507
                      Jamie0507 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I agree, Great points! As gentle as I tried to be I know I definitely still tore some of those fine root hairs up.. I was trying to wait until Spring to up pot it into at least a 5 gallon, but my nerves got the best of me & I caved to "needing to do something" to help it.. I must desist from this sort of "helping" in the future for sure! But I definitely see your point.. No more "gently untangling" the roots while any of my trees are awake! Thank you for some great advice

Its all excellent information and I certainly agree with most everything that
                    has been said.

One other question. You stated you are using a T-8 light and another 150 watt
                    bulb. How close to the plant do you have these lights?
                    newnandawg 7b Newnan, GA

Comment

• Jamie0507
                      Jamie0507 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Another important detail I left out! Okay so the T8 (4ft shoplight 6500k) was getting pretty darn close.. Just about 2-3 inches from the top leaf.. It's been really difficult trying to accomodate this one since it's so much bigger than the others.. Maybe it's time for the south facing window I'm thinking? Also the single cfl bulb was more like 5-6 inches away because that one threw off a bit more heat.. My light meter registered about 1000ppm for each at the closest leaf.. A little under that from the shoplight if that helps?
                      Last edited by Jamie0507; 02-03-2016, 10:24 PM. Reason: Bad spelling, had to edit lol

Have you seen any small cobwebs on the plants?
                    Youtube: PA Figs eBay: tdepoala
                    Wishlist: Galicia Negra, Paritjal Rimada, Black Ischia UCD

Comment

• Jamie0507
                      Jamie0507 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Actually I did have some spider mites on this plant about 2 months ago, but I used a product called AzaMax and it wiped them out after the 2nd use.. I've continually been checking under the leaves for more but so far so good.. Hey that's a thought.. I wonder if the AzaMax could have damaged the leaves? The plant did already halt its growth before then but the yellowing leaves may have began shortly after I started using it.. I can't be sure but its definitely possible.. Hmmm..

http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edib...low-leaves.htm
                    Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
                    1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy πŸ‘ΌπŸΌ.
                    2) This weeks ebay auctions.

Comment

Thank you Mike that was an interesting article.. The last paragraph was actually pretty assuring.. "While yellow leaves on fig trees may be disturbing to the gardener, the condition isn’t fatal and with careful attention to the stresses your tree may be suffering, the condition should be easily cured" I received excellent advice here from everyone and I believe my next step should be to sit back & wait at this point. It could have been a multitude of things that caused the tree to be in this state, so maybe she is just trying to get a fresh start. For now I will just take a hands off approach but keep my eyes on and just observe.. Also going to lay off any heavy watering and if worse comes to worse I will put it out in the garage with my other dormant trees and hope for the best in the spring. Thank you everyone for all your help. I truly appreciate all of you

Comment

I am leaning toward a combinationof the AzaMax and possibly the "hot" light (150 watt) being
                        5-6 inches from the leaves.

I believe I would move the lighting back and do nothing else except give the plant
                        some time to do its thing. It may drop all those leaves before it heals itself.
                        newnandawg 7b Newnan, GA

Comment

Jamie. I was just reading this and wondering how this plant is doing a month later now?
                          Last edited by Blackfoot12; 03-04-2016, 08:26 PM.

Comment

• Jamie0507
                            Jamie0507 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I think you are doing all the right things.. Dont worry, our trees will survive to see new growth spurts soon! Lol! I remember when you 1st posted about your BM because I was having the same crazy growth issues with my CDDN and difficulty with trying to accomodate it lighting wise.. Lets keep each other posted & think positive thoughts

• Harborseal
                            Harborseal commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Jaime, what happened with your CdDN? Did it put out new growth?

• Jamie0507
                            Jamie0507 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Hi Bob So far it is still seems to be in a state of dormancy.. It lost all of its leaves within about a week of my initial post, but I'm sure it is still very much alive.. There are two swollen buds on it that look as though they could burst forth any day, but as of right now I have it in a sunny window in my unheated attached garage.. I figure that I would rather have it leaf out when I put it outside in the sun.. That way I won't need to worry about leaf burn or slowly introducing it to the sun. Maybe next week I'll start shuffling that one outside to get a head start on the season. We supposedly have some super nice weather headed our way Thanks for checking it with me about it though Bob! I will be sure to post an update & pic of any changes as they occur πŸ‘.. Fingers will remain crossed until then though!

I've lost one CdDN cutting and may be losing another one. The roots of this variety seem to be especially sensitive to moisture and/or fertilizer. The first one I tried to dose with some root growth promoter when I noticed it was struggling and the extra moisture did it in. The second one I thought I was keeping on the dry side. It had a healthy nest of white roots on the bottom of the cup. All it took was one normal watering (it may have been a very dilute Miracle Grow solution -I forget exactly) for the white roots to turn all brown. It's a fussy rooter for me. I have two trees already from last year so I might try an air layer.
                          Mara, Southern California,
                          Climate Zone: 1990=9b 2012= 10a 2020=?

Comment

• Jamie0507
                            Jamie0507 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I totally agree, they seem to be EXTREMELY fussy rooters.. Out of the 3 nice and seemingly cddn cuttings I had started at the end of last August/early Sept timeframe, this was the only one to pull through for me. Once out of the cup stage though this was grew insanely fast and the leaves were huge and beautiful.. (Sure miss them leaves πŸ˜₯).. Then all of the sudden in late Dec it stopped growing for me & seemed to need a break.. By early Feb its leaves were really looking tattered, then all dropped off before mid Feb.. Now it seems to be in total dormancy.. Hoping our two Cddns pull through to see brighter days for sure Thank u for sharing!

It's finally waking back up! Geez I was really starting to sweat whether this one was ever going to wake back up.. Probably too late to make any figs, but I'm still happy regardless πŸ‘πŸ˜ Just goes to show ya that patience is a must in this hobby/obsession of ours! πŸ˜‰ (I really gotta work on that patience thing myself lol)
                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                          X