X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can fog cuttings regrow new roots of previous fell off??

Hello everyone! I’m new to this forum and to figs in general. I would love to get some of your expert advice! So something terrible happened to my newly rooted King fig cuttings that I bought from figbid. I planted the cuttings in water bottles with the tops cut off and learning the hard way, that was not a good idea. Anyhow...the 2 of them grew so vigorously and looked so rootbound that I decided to up pot them. To make the long story short, the beautiful roots disconnected from the cutting...completely as I was trying to take it out 🤦‍♀️. I realize now that I should have used tree pots, as they are shaped differently and have easy ejection. I’m heartbroken. I stuck the 2 cuttings back in the medium, this time in a bigger pot but they lost ALL of their roots, completely back to square one. Is there any hope that they will regrow? Or all hope is lost since they already used up their “energy”? I have 2 more of the same variety which are super thick, like 1.5-2 in thick which have some new leaves but no roots. Has this happened to anyone before? Can roots grow back from scratch? Thank you so much in advance!!!
    Starting Spring 2020: Northern FL, zone 9a!!!

Anything is possible but not likely. The bigger cuttings just give them more time. Good luck
    JLB zone 8b south Mississippi. Wish list really good figs thay don't split with all this dang humidity

Comment

As posted above.... When rooting a cutting it's almost completely dependent on its energy stores....At the best of times I can be a struggle to get a gutting to maturity..... Having expended so much of it's resources on the first set of roots... it's more likely than not that it will run out of steam before being able to form new roots... That said.....It's not like you're trying to save 200 of them.... If it's not going to be a huge burden.... you may as well give it a try... worst case is they still croak...

Also - it's only a guess but if the roots ripped off that easily it may have been less the container issue than it was the roots were just not well established..... I've seen figs rooted in all manner of containers.

Pics will always help with this sort of thing...
      Guildwood Village - Toronto, Canada - Zone 6

Comment

• Kozachka
        Kozachka commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for your input, I guess I’ll leave it and see what happens. I posted a pic and the tip is turning brown, Brian M said it’s because the tip wasn’t sealed, so still hopeful. I’m hoping it’s not a sign of cutting death..

I really appreciate your replies, thank you! The energy store makes a lot of sense, I guess I can’t be too hopeful. I didn’t think to take pictures at the time but now that about 2 weeks have passed I noticed that the tips are turning colors...are they dying? Click image for larger version

Name:	C33D8099-596F-4E6F-BD6B-6CFE02F492E7.jpeg
Views:	160
Size:	2.17 MB
ID:	681008

Comment

• Kozachka
        Kozachka commented
        Editing a comment
        Brian M, what do you use to seal the tips? If not sealed it won’t do any harm correct? It will just dry to the node but not past the node? Thanks!

• Brian M
        Brian M commented
        Editing a comment
        I use basic candle wax. And yes sometimes it will continue past the node but only once in a while.

• Kozachka
        Kozachka commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh wow good to know! Will do that next time!

Comment

Many of us have done this, including myself. Not sure the exact type of watter bottle used, but hourglass shapes / ridges can make the transplant a nightmare.

Ive gravitated to party cups (20-32oz, transparent or translucent)
        Long Beach 10b / 22

Comment

MLC, I used 2 different bottles, one with ridges...and another one was the smart water brand, the long and lean one, the long lean one was worse because it is made of thick plastic and very hard to cut apart...that’s when the roots broke off . Party cups is what I will try next, thank you

Comment

Doesn't hurt to leave them in the pots. Since they had already rooted for you earlier, whatever you do, do not overwater. Still not sure how I know this but don't overwater.
            Zone 10B,
            WL: Madeira Island Black (MIB), Blk Mad KK, BNR, PR, MR, Pastillere.

Comment

• Kozachka
              Kozachka commented
              Editing a comment
              Got it! I will be careful not to overwater! Thanks 😉

Hey Kozachka, your nickname sounds familiar, it has a meaning right?!
            Nice to meet you
            ~Lana

Comment

• Kozachka
              Kozachka commented
              Editing a comment
              I haven’t tried using fig pops, how do you like those? I tried plastic cups and those release easily but are not deep enough, I always want to stick the cuttings deeper to cover more nodes (hence the plastic bottle terror lol). Just yesterday I started some cuttings I’m tall treepots, so far I like the depth and shape, looks like they should come out easy when time comes. I had a hard time finding inexpensive treepots with cheap shipping. I found this site:

greenhousemegastore.com

This is where I got my treepots, and the shipping was only $10.50! And I got a lot of stuff. Along with the treepots I get the holding tray, makes it easier and more sturdy!

• Lanachka
              Lanachka commented
              Editing a comment
              Fig pops was good method, but clear plastic cups is my presence, less water stays in cups

• Kozachka
              Kozachka commented
              Editing a comment
              I’m totally going to try the fig pops! Noah said that it prevents fungus gnats as well!

Or just cut the bottom off, if it's obviously going to be tough/impossible to remove, and up pot, The less stress the better.

Over the next year or two you could gradually cut off/cut up the plastic. The roots will do a lot to help and once it's an established plant you can deal with whatever.

If it's a rootstock/common variety to you it's not worth the trouble maybe, but for a new/desired cutting... I would take a very gentle approach.
            South Arkansas - Zone 7b/8a - have Brown Turkey + 1 black madeira.

Comment

• Kozachka
              Kozachka commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you Noah, it looks like the rest aren’t making it because now I have fungus gnats 🤦‍♀️ I didn’t even know what those things are until now...I guess there is a first time for everything. I ended up ordering a duplicate set of cuttings

• Noah Mercy
              Noah Mercy commented
              Editing a comment
              Dry sand on top will prevent fungus gnats, some use antifungus (like kaptan) and sealing the media (e.g. figpop, cup with a good lid and/or Glad press-n-seal type plastic cover, covered plastic bin) or use DE - while others root them outside in the spring where fungus gnats never seem to be problem, around here anyway. We have all had them - they cause "damping off" (fungus) in small seedlings. I think peat moss attracts them the worst! Good Luck - you have found the right place to learn

• Kozachka
              Kozachka commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you Noah, I will try putting sand on top. I’ve read that on some blog too, just wasn’t sure how effective it is. But if people here are doing it then it must work!! I also treated with gnatrol and nematodes but still see flys and some larvae. I want those things gone!

I've been quite surprised at the strong life force in a fig plant to survive even under severe stress. Here except for rot which seems incurable, a thick cutting has rallied and rerooted for me on the few occasions I,too, ripped roots off when attempting the uppot maneuver.so go for it and never surrender!
            But this whole issue is why I stopped rooting in solid containers and began using the thin popbags that I simply cut six longitudinal slits in and uppot WITH the rooted cutting inside , or am now trying the porous organza bags planned to be treated similarly. This way baby roots face zero torque during the uppot move and baby roots can easiy get out of the bag thrugh the slits and into the container mix to flourish.

The art of fig war comprises many maneuvers to overcome barriers in place, best of success to you, Amigo!
            Z8A NC SANDHILLS

WISH LIST :CC, ZAFFIRO, CAMPANIERE

Comment

• Kozachka
              Kozachka commented
              Editing a comment
              I need to try this rooting method! I would be devastated if this happened to me again. I just received my treepots the 4x9, so sterling some cuttings there right now. Hopefully the treepots don’t give me any grief

The cutting on post 5 is dead

Comment

• YATAMA
              YATAMA commented
              Editing a comment
              Top sure looks that way.But here have had cuttings with all above ground crispy send up a green shoot from an underground buried node so I leave these baddies alone and wait Find waiting costs zero. Once in while life resumes.

• Kozachka
              Kozachka commented
              Editing a comment
              Coop, you are right...it was dead
          Working...
          X