X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Budding cutting = healthy?

I have tried new rooting method for myself is new to me anyway. I put cutting in styrofoam coffee cup filled with fresh warm water and i set on heat mat to keep water warm while exchange fresh water every day for 5-7 days. They showen callous and bumps finally and I cupped them with very airy mixture back on heat mats. There is some (no a lot) spots per cup of condensation. They all are in GH with good humidity and temp. Every other day I give 4 squeeze of spray bottle up high enough to mist all cutting per spray. So two question.
    1) should there be more condensation in cups meaning more than just random spots or couple spot okay ?
    2) if a cutting that I known no had roots before cupping only initials but now has green bud or opening bud do that mean cutting is doing good?(I known that bud or leaf no mean roots) but if is doing tis I mean that is no rotting or drying up and roots should form?

Grazie
    Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
    1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy 👼🏼.
    2) This weeks ebay auctions.

It only means that the top part of the cutting is alive. It doesn't say anything about the part under the soil. Is the cup clear? Generally, I judge soil moisture by the color of the rooting medium. "A little" might be just right or not enough. Photos always help.

Bob C.
    Kansas City, MO Z6

Comment

Mike, do these cups have lids to trap the initial heat and humidity?

Styrofoam is a great insulating material (and super good at keeping coffee hot), but for that same reason I wouldn't think that the heat mat's heat would penetrate the bottom of the cup very well to maintain the warmth after the water cools from loss of heat through the top. That would happen pretty quickly if the cup doesn't have a lid. Even with a lid, it'd be hard to absorb much heat through the cup's bottom.
      Sarah
      Bay Area, CA (zone: 9B)

Comment

Oh... I so far never use lid. They in clear cup now. Only foam cup when they in da water. And heat mat is under Rubbermaid ni with cups in bin. I have had good success with bottom heat which is why I do now. My GH is pretty warm and humid so covering the top may create mold but I can try if you think will help... Some cuttings I started in moss and put in cups and are exploding. These Batch I was ganna do MaiMai way with the Baggie but chose to stick to the SM method. I hope I'm not ruin these cuttings from going from water to direct airy mix.

Comment

They are doing fine, but roots can still take forever! I am waiting for 4 weeks now I have leaves and almost no roots!
          Rafael
          Zone 10b, Miami, FL

Comment

• WillsC
            WillsC commented
            Editing a comment
            Yep. Some are just stubborn.

ohhh okay Grazie!

Comment