X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone up-pot to grow bags?

I have a bunch of cuttings in cups that need to be up-potted and I was wondering if anyone had any experience up-potting to plastic grow-bags.

I know plastic pots are more durable but the cost of grow bags is much less and the grow bags are square which will make it easier to position the "pots" together.

I'm running out of room in my propagation setup so space is a concern for me.

I may do half and half and see if there is a difference between them.
    Kevin (Eastern MA - Zone 5b/6a)

I haven't personally used them. I was tempted to try them a while back after this thread on F4F. Seems like others use them regularly.
    Johnny
    Stuff I grow: Google Doc

Comment

• fitzski
      fitzski commented
      Editing a comment
      thanks, i'll check the thread out on f4f.

The man tha truns the local hydroponics store sells grow bags and cautioned me that you should pick the final size that you want for the plant because it is very difficult to transplant from the grow bag.

Comment

• fitzski
      fitzski commented
      Editing a comment
      i was thinking of using the plastic grow bags not the cloth ones for the first stage and then up-potting to larger plastic pots.

I have many large pots but not smaller ones for the intermediate stage.

when they were ready to be up-potted again, i'd just cut the bag.

Still debating...

I've started up potting into 2 liter bottles. They are free assuming you have access to some. Just cut the top off and solder holes in the bottom. Cover with something opaque like paper if you prefer.
    Don - OH Zone 6a Wish list: Zaffiro, Moro de Caneva, Nerucciolo d'Elba, Bordissot Blanca Negra, Rubado, Black Celeste

Comment

• fitzski
      fitzski commented
      Editing a comment
      ok, thanks, Don. Now where can i find 30 empty 2-liter bottles

• eboone
      eboone commented
      Editing a comment
      what kind of pot are you going to pot the bottles up to? If a 1g(trade) size pot I would rather just go directly to that pot.

I used some soda bottles last year, and a few got put outside before potting up (it was much later in the season) - they seemed very prone to blow over. Inside they were ok.

• don_sanders
      don_sanders commented
      Editing a comment
      Assuming they don't get too root bound, I'm guessing that I'll start acclimating them to the outside in paper boxes on the porch and then go start to 3 or 5 gallons. I'd prefer one gallon containers but I don't have those and have free 2 liters. I'm trying straight from moss to 2 liter as well since they seem to outgrow the cup pretty fast and I'm not very good at getting them out of the cup without disturbing the roots.
Working...
X