X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sourcing 5-gal buckets

I am anticipating needing to make a bunch of 5g SIPS for trees I started last summer as well as some of the cuttings that seem to be pretty vigorous. I'm assuming these would need to be food-grade buckets, too. I am anticipating needing to make 15 or 20, so that means 30-40 buckets. If I was building 1 or 3, I'd just go ahead and get them new from Lowes or HD...but this many can be a bit pricey.

So...where do you get your buckets?
    Bryant...Franklin County, VA...Zone 7a. Wish List: a 32 hour day....more sleep

Try the following places. Pickle shops, supermarkets (icing buckets) or large bakeries. Those are food grade buckets. You can also check craigslist as people try to get rid of them. Supermarkets are your best bet, go every 2 or 3 days and you should get some.
    May the Figs be with you!
    ​​​​​

Comment

Go to the first construction site you see and the dry wall crew will be glad to give you all you need.
      Garden Pics
      http://s117.photobucket.com/user/the...?sort=3&page=1

Comment

I ran across a small , somewhat local , maker of salsa , salad dressings etc..
        They were always looking for folks to take away surplus buckets from mostly Anaheim peppers , capers , citrus juices....
        Got hundreds from there , now get icing buckets from supermarket bakeries if I need a few at a time.
        Kerry - NH zone 5

Comment

You might try restaurants. Certain food items (like pickles, tofu, sauces) come in plastic buckets for places that need them in high volume. Ethnic grocery stores might also have some. Asian groceries which carry bulk tofu often receive that tofu in 5 gallon buckets. I've seen other food items (not remembering other examples at the moment) that need to stay submerged in liquid also come in 5 gallon buckets.
          Johnny
          Stuff I grow: Google Doc

Comment

I used to get mine @ Sonic fast food. This was 35 years ago. The were green pickle buckets. I became a regular so they started saving them for me.
            Jerry, Canyon Lake TX 8b

Comment

Landscaping companies put their pots at the curb. Drive by a couple on trash day.
              Edward - Edgewater, Florida (Zone 9b)
              Wish List: Holy Smokes, U. Prosciutto, Ham Rham, Labritja

Comment

Wish List -

Comment

Mcdonalds used to get their pickles in 5 gallon buckets. Also the Dunkin Donuts would get their filling in 5 gallon buckets too. Churches sometimes get the communion beverage in 5 gallon buckets.
                  Hi my name is Art. I buy fig cuttings-so I can grow more figs-so I can sell more figs-so I can buy more fig cuttings-so I can grow more figs....

Comment

• smatthew
                    smatthew commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I have visions of someone trying to fill those tiny communion cups by pouring from the 5g bucket...

• cis4elk
                    cis4elk commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Bucket of Christ?
                    Amen.

• DBJohnson
                    DBJohnson commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I think someone got confused with Bacchus.....

Thanks, guys! I'll make the rounds of the bakeries, groceries, and restaurants next week.

Comment

Those are great examples! I'll have to make some rounds as well!!!
                    Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

Not to sound too ghoulish, but a lot of times, you can find pots up to 2 gal along the curb by the service entrance to cemeteries. The American Legion here places flowers on veterans' graves most weekends and leaves the pots for the trash man.
                      Edward - Edgewater, Florida (Zone 9b)
                      Wish List: Holy Smokes, U. Prosciutto, Ham Rham, Labritja

Comment

Our local Dunkin Donuts and the largest local grocer with a bakery say they recycle their icing buckets.
                        A couple local resturaunts get many salad bar items in them.
                        A friend has a painting business-paint and joint compound both come in 4.5 or 5g buckets
                        Unfortunately some places want to charge for them, and craigslist prices for buckets is up from 2y ago. Shop around
                        Ed
                        SW PA zone 6a

Comment

Find your local dairy. In OR we had one that gave away the buckets but charged 50 cents for the lid.
                          Bob C. KC, MO Zone 6a. Wanted: Martineca Rimada, Galicia Negra, Fioroni Ruvo, De La Reina - Pons, Tauro, BFF, Sefrawi, Sbayi, Mavra Sika , Fillaciano Bianco, Corynth, Souadi, Acciano Purple, LSU Tiger, LSU Red, Cajun Gold, BB-10 any great tasting fig

Comment

Craigslist is also a good place the guy here has 1000's of them at .90 cents a piece ** http://newyork.craigslist.org/jsy/for/5437909847.html ** http://newyork.craigslist.org/jsy/for/5437871464.html **
                            Last edited by Dave; 02-07-2016, 03:44 PM.
                            Wish List -

Comment

• eboone
                              eboone commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Almost worth driving all that way.....

I just found a little deli on Craigslist that is selling them for $2 each with lids... going to see if I can talk him down if I buy a bunch.
                            Zone 7a in Virginia

Comment

This post got me curious, so I went down to the local nursery and inquired about 15 gallon pots. They took me out back and let me browse all I wanted. I ended up getting 5 pots in great condition for $2 each. They are the injection molded ones, so they are thicker and sturdier than the blow molded ones. So if you're looking for bigger containers, don't forget your local nurseries.
                              Houston, TX Zone 9a

Comment

Thanks!

Right now I'm looking to build SIPS containers from the 5-gallon buckets...but there will come a time when I'll need to source even larger pots.
                                Last edited by DBJohnson; 02-10-2016, 07:47 AM. Reason: Itchy enter finger....

Comment

• Visceral
                                  Visceral commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  Please post some pics from your assembly when you start. I'd be interested in trying a few SIPS maybe later.

Plastic 55 gallon barrels cut in half make great containers.
                                Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

• Visceral
                                  Visceral commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  Scott,
                                  Any idea where to get some of these on the cheap? I've seen them for sale, but new ones are $60 each minimum. And that didn't include shipping!

They're is a nursery just down the street from me that closed a few years ago. I can see a ton of huge pots in the back, the new land owners are using the lot as RV storage, I'll have to pop in someday and see what their plans are for the pots.

Comment

Working...
                                X