X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nero 600M

it seems like there was quite a bit of buzz about this variety awhile back.
    I'm wondering if anyone has fruited this one, and how it has performed for them in terms of productivity, ripening time, and flavor.
    Last edited by COGardener; 05-02-2017, 09:09 AM.
    Jesse in western Maine, zone 4/5
    Wishlist- Figues Juane, Demos unk, Nantes Maroc, Thermalito

I'll let you know in 6-7 months.

But seriously, reports from h2 indicate it died back over the winter with some fruit still produced.
    https://www.figbid.com/Listing/Browse?Seller=Kelby
    SE PA
    Zone 6

Comment

• zone5figger
      zone5figger commented
      Editing a comment
      I've read H2's reports on N600; hardy, rain-resistant, decent sized and good flavored...I guess that was the 'buzz' I referred to.
      But not too many collaborating reports from other growers from 2014 season, plants still too young perhaps?.
      For me, it has been an easy rooter, moderately vigorous grower as a young start with ornamental, long-fingered foliage.
      Last edited by zone5figger; 03-02-2015, 06:57 PM.

• Kelby
      Kelby commented
      Editing a comment
      Jesse, mine was slow growing with very tight nodes, unique to me.

Vallecalda, Nero 600m, ValleCalda di Borgofornari
    This fig tree was discovered in the Apennine Mountains (Italy), in a place named Vallecalda di Borgofornari, at an elevation of 550 meters. Despite the cold winters of the Apennine Mountains, this fig tree bears a significant and successful crop of brebas and a very large main crop, which usually doesn’t ripen.

In its natural habitat, Vallecalda reaches an important size, bears finely dissected leaves and produces many root suckers. This fig tree has an excellent resistance to cold.

Breba crop production is good and the fruits resist very well to sudden temperature changes, they usually don’t drop. The fruit is very palatable, melts in the mouth, is very sugary and has a very good perfume. The skin is quite thin and sweet. It is an excellent fruit.

In its natural habitat, the main crop fig does not ripen, but in Haute-Savoie (France), at a lower elevation (about 440 meters), fruits usually ripen. They are smaller than the breba fruits, but more numerous and have the particularity of being exceptionally resistant to bad weather conditions. The eye remains closed despite the autumn rains. This fig must not be harvested while being excessively mature, because as the skin is thick, it becomes hard when ripening, degrading the organoleptic qualities. However, when harvested ripe, it is a sugary fruit of very good quality.

Finally, Vallecalda is particularly adapted to cold areas, even in unfavorable situations, thanks to its natural resistance to cold and its excellent fruits.

Comment

• zone5figger
      zone5figger commented
      Editing a comment
      Source for this description? I like that " Vallecalda reaches an important size", I think I've done something similar sitting around this winter!

• jkuo
      jkuo commented
      Editing a comment
      I recall seeing this text here: http://www.planetfig.com/cultivars/fcveng8595.html. I don't know if that was the original source or not, but it's the first place I remember seeing it.

I'm looking forward to how Nero 600m does this year for the first time both from in ground and in pot. The slender and pointed finger-like lobes look to me like a cross between Ronde de Bordeaux and Violette de Bordeaux, and maybe the fruit too a cross between those two. One small but elongated breba fig currently forming on a heavily pruned tree in pot. My biggest question at this point is whether or not the main crop of this cultivar will ripen early.
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
    Tony WV 6b
    https://mountainfigs.net/

Comment

• CarbonFX
      CarbonFX commented
      Editing a comment
      Tony, any update on your tree in ground over the last few years and what you experienced? Notice a difference in taste of the fig between the in ground vs potted also? Any other details o on your tree would be great.

• mountainfigs
      mountainfigs commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, I've long since assumed now that Nero 600M is apparently a synonym of VdB, Vista, Negronne, Petite Negri, etc. Left totally unprotected in winter, it has not produced figs for me after total topkill, unlike a handful of other varieties here. I get fruit from it only in pots, good fruit.

All I kept hearing was it was resistant to late season rains when ripening, which is great. It's on the "acquire" list.
    RI Zone 6a
    Container Herder

Comment

I have a three year old plant that I put in ground last spring. It produced pretty good and the fruit was good for its age. Having said that, I
      want to give it more time and see how it reacts to the single digit temps we had this winter. The only protection it has is 2-4 inches
      of pine straw around the base.
      newnandawg 7b Newnan, GA

Comment

Does anyone know the average and record lows where this fig comes from?
        Bob C. KC, MO Zone 6a. Wanted: Martineca Rimada, Galicia Negra, Fioroni Ruvo, De La Reina - Pons, Tauro, BFF, Sefrawi, Sbayi, Mavra Sika , Fillaciano Bianco, Corynth, Souadi, Acciano Purple, LSU Tiger, LSU Red, Cajun Gold, BB-10 any great tasting fig

Comment

Sounds like another great fig, I'm very happy that I have a couple rooting, here's hoping for the best.
        Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

I'm hoping to taste mine this year. It is about 3 ft tall and looks pretty good so fingers crossed.
          NC Zone 7a-b

Comment

Nero 600....

Comment

How did you like it, Marius?
              Bob C. KC, MO Zone 6a. Wanted: Martineca Rimada, Galicia Negra, Fioroni Ruvo, De La Reina - Pons, Tauro, BFF, Sefrawi, Sbayi, Mavra Sika , Fillaciano Bianco, Corynth, Souadi, Acciano Purple, LSU Tiger, LSU Red, Cajun Gold, BB-10 any great tasting fig

Comment

My small tree ripened 4 figs last year. They were very late because it was so small, but even in the cool late september weather they were still better than my VdB. The tree would not stop setting figs, I must have pinched off 20 after the first 4 set. I'm really looking forward to more this year.

Andy - Zone 6a Lat 39.9º N, Altitude 5390' Westminster CO ⚘ Scion List

Comment

Nero600 is an average tasting fig,I'll give him an 7(from 1 to 10).From the same class,I do prefer a ripped Ronde de Bordeaux or a Petite Aubique.

Comment

• zone5figger
                    zone5figger commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks for the flavor rating...do have any experience with the cold-hardiness of Nero 600?

I'm hoping to taste Nero 600 and Valle Negra side by side this year to see how close they resemble each other. I'll definitely report back.
                  Frank ~ zone 7a VA

Comment

• jkuo
                    jkuo commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Looking forward to your report. I managed to get Valle Negra cuttings as a backup to Nero 600. I'm curious as to whether they are the same.

Nero 400m, Nero 600m, ValleCalda di Borgofornari
                  A very good fig.
                  The text I posted above was copied from the www.planetfig.com . I got this variety directly from the owner of the site - I gave if to a fig collector living in the USA.
                  Thats it. An easy story. No different straines, no myth

Comment

Vale Negra is a high quality fig.
                    I do have a 4 year old Nero600 in ground,zone 6(south of Cleveland,Oh).Regarding its cold hardiness,I would say...5 deg Fahr. or 0 Fahr(not more than 2days).My plant is dead for sure..!!!

Comment

• jkuo
                      jkuo commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Are Valle Negra and Nero 600m different figs from your experience?

I keep seeing Nero 600M and Nero 600. I bought my cuttings as Nero 600M, is this two different cultivars or are some people just dropping the M?

If this is an omission or abbreviation, I can see it contributing to the constant name confusion.

I realize that typing the entire name is taxing, yet it will help knock down questions and confusion on all cultivars.

My opinion.
                    Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

• Rewton
                      Rewton commented
                      Editing a comment
                      It only takes one or two prominent fig enthusiasts to spell the name wrong and pretty soon others are doing it too. Examples are Nordland and Takoma Violet being incorrectly spelled as Norland or Tacoma Violet. I understand how this can happen but it does lead to confusion. About a year ago I asked Jon at figs4fun to change his database to correct the name for Takoma Violet but it is still mispelled there unfortunately.

Originally posted by COGardener View Post
                    I keep seeing Nero 600M and Nero 600. I bought my cuttings as Nero 600M, is this two different cultivars or are some people just dropping the M?

If this is an omission or abbreviation, I can see it contributing to the constant name confusion.

I realize that typing the entire name is taxing, yet it will help knock down questions and confusion on all cultivars.

My opinion.

It should be Nero 600M. It signifies that it's grown at a nursery located at an elevation of 600 meters.
                    My fig photos <> My fig cuttings (starts late January) <> My Youtube Videos

Comment

Mea culpa on the nomenclature, Nero 600m is correct.

But here in 'merica we like to call it Black 1968ft ...I think it's catchy
                      Jesse in western Maine, zone 4/5
                      Wishlist- Figues Juane, Demos unk, Nantes Maroc, Thermalito

Comment

• zone5figger
                        zone5figger commented
                        Editing a comment
                        (600 meters = 1968 feet)

• cjmach1973
                        cjmach1973 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Hey I live a 383.5m. That means it should grow at my house-even if it does hit -18 sometimes-right?

Originally posted by HarveyC View Post

It should be Nero 600M. It signifies that it's grown at a nursery located at an elevation of 600 meters.

Or was it found growing in the wild at 600M elevation rather than nursery grown at that elevation???

Ed
                      SW PA zone 6a

Comment

Which ever the case, I believe It would be helpful to everyone if were to fully and correctly spell out all cultivar names rather then abbreviate. This will make it easier for new people to follow and I believe it will help stop some confusion.

Comment

Apnoist, in regards to the name of this cultivar you list Nero 400m, Nero 600m and ValleCalda di Borgofornari. These are all synonyms for the same variety, correct? I presume ValleCalda di Borgofornari is the original name. Why/how did the Nero 400m/600m names come about? I think it is best (when possible) that growers stick with the original name. Anyway, thanks for playing your part in introducing this fig to north america.
                          Steve
                          D-i-c-k-e-r-s-o-n, MD; zone 7a
                          WL: Verdolino, Figue Jaune, Nantes Maroc, Lussheim

Comment

Steve, these names/synonyms are correct, same as on the original site, from where I got the variety. I do not have any further information.
                            Nomenclature is in my opinion a very difficult topic in our hobby, fig collectors always seem to feel the need to split names and synonyms into different varieties, forgetting that the way to find name+synonym was a loooooong way for other people.

Comment

Can anyone provide updates on how this variety fared for them this winter? I'm getting the impression it's not as hardy as it was initially hyped.

I've decided to container grow mine for another year before planting it, it's a little weaker than I'd like to see.
                              https://www.figbid.com/Listing/Browse?Seller=Kelby
                              SE PA
                              Zone 6

Comment

Not tasting the best for my zone. My Aldo, HC, Dark Portuguese, Aubique Petite and RdB taste better.

Comment

Working...
                                X