X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cold Hardy Figs that can be Grow in ground ????

I would like some advice on what figs can be grown in ground in the cold growing zones even one that will Die back. I am wanting to send my Brother some figs up North Burr rrrrrrrrrrrrrrr Up UP North cold Yea Sunny and 75 is my weather

Where is your brother located? The list in my signature has many hardier varieties. Generally, colder than zone 6 gets tough. It can be tough in zone 6.
    https://www.figbid.com/Listing/Browse?Seller=Kelby
    SE PA
    Zone 6

Comment

Hardy Chicago, Brooklyn White, and Ronde de Bordeaux are three good ones, among others. I've looked at this in some detail:
      https://mountainfig.files.wordpress....ecember-15.pdf
      Tony WV 6b
      https://mountainfigs.net/

Comment

Florea
        Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

Also Improved Celeste, Violette de Bordeaux, and (White) Marseilles (aka Lattarula, Italian Honey). To an extent, it depends how the trees/bushes are going to be trained and/or protected.
          Tony WV 6b
          https://mountainfigs.net/

Comment

One thing I have learned here in zone 7a is that it is not only the cold hardiness of the wood that is important but the ability to ripen the fruit in a relatively short season. Pinching will be needed. I agree with the varieties mentioned by others above. My order of priority would be:
            Florea, Improved Celeste, Mt. Etnas, Ronde de Bordeaux and possibly Pastiliere (though it is supposed to drop figs in the early years).
            Last edited by Rewton; 02-07-2016, 11:21 AM. Reason: Clarification - my comments above apply to figs in-ground. Figs in containers are a different story.
            Steve
            D-i-c-k-e-r-s-o-n, MD; zone 7a
            WL: Nantes Maroc

Comment

If he in zone like me he will only see one crop unless has GH or other way to keep grown in cold. If he only ganna have one tree better plant in wine barrel with wheel. Then can roll into garage in winter. Otherwise I grow many many type in my zone and they fine as long as protected well when get cold
              Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
              1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy 👼🏼.
              2) This weeks ebay auctions.

Comment

Have to say that Florea is at the top of my list....but I've not had much luck with Florea cuttings thus far. I'll keep trying.
                Bryant...Franklin County, VA...Zone 7a. Wish List: a 32 hour day....more sleep

Comment

Bryant, I got my Florea from WillsC as an air layer last year. Just a thought if you continue having problems.
                  Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

Bryant, I may be able to help you with Florea.
                    newnandawg 7b Newnan, GA

Comment

• pukzpukz
                      pukzpukz commented
                      Editing a comment
                      What you have this Mike ??? the Florea AND Where is Hershell ???

• DBJohnson
                      DBJohnson commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks! I'll PM you once I know for sure if these cuttings aren't going to make it. Pretty sure the 3-cup cutting is dead, but the direct potted one may just be slow.

There you go, never hurts to ask.

Comment

Thanks All Any More AND WHERE IS HERSHELL !!!! AKA DAT Funny Man I know where waldo is

Comment

Thanks, guys!
                        Bryant...Franklin County, VA...Zone 7a. Wish List: a 32 hour day....more sleep

Comment

Cold hardiness is always a new topic started after multiple other topics on the subject. I have been collecting cold hardy varieties for several years and have dozens that have been labelled cold hardy by any number of sources. It's a topic out of control as each time a list is posted it adds or leaves out some varieties. I am trying to firm up my opinion and continue to seek out hardy varieties.
                          Florea is probably the fig that should be at the top of the list as it is both cold hardy and an early ripener - which is important if you want ripe figs. A cold hardy plant that ripens fruit late is not going to help.
                          I have been posting my variety ripening list the last few years and will try and get to that again soon. Past years I posted on f4f but will post here from now on.

Bryant I see you left me a message - will read asap. I see we are neighbors. I have Florea if you have difficulties.

Comment

Working...
                          X