X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY LED Grow Light for 2020: Variable Spectrum and High Output

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2462.jpg Views:	0 Size:	189.9 KB ID:	687078
    Input (Measured): 170 Watts @ 120 VAC
    LED Bulbs: Twelve (12) UL Listed / Labeled 1600 Lumens @ 15 watts each
    Output: Calculated 21,000 Lumens / 315 PPF

Actual Measured Output 24 in x 30 in Area (5 sq ft) with Reflective Mylar Blanket Surround / "Tent":

@ 12 inches = 44,000 Lux / 660 PPFD (avg)
    @ 24 inches = 24,000 Lux / 360 PPFD (avg)
    @ 36 inches = 14,000 Lux / 210 PPFD (avg)

Note: "Measured" = ~ 3600K (~ 14% Blue); 4 bulbs @ 5000K & 8 bulbs @ 3000K
    Material List:
    6 - PVC Tees 1" ($8.00)
    3 - 20" PVC Pipe 1" (10 ft = $2.00)
    4 - 6" PVC Pipe 1" (10 ft =$2.00)
    1 - 24Ft. 12 socket Outdoor String Light ($20.00)
    24 - 8" Nylon ties ($1.00)
    12 - E26 base LED Bulbs, 1600 Lm each ($6.00)

Note:
    1. For 24" x 48" foot print replace the three (3) 20" pieces with three (3) 43" long.
    2. Almost any suitable material can be used for the PVC "Frame", including Plywood (~ 18 x 22).

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2461.jpg Views:	0 Size:	227.3 KB ID:	687077

Optional:
    1 - 1 ft power strip ($1.00)
    1 - Electrical Handy Box ($1.00)
    1 - LED Dimmer Switch ($8.00)
    4 - Wire Nuts, Orange ($1.00)
    1 pair- Ratcheting Light Hangers ($8.00)

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2470.jpg Views:	0 Size:	155.9 KB ID:	687076
    https://manuals.harborfreight.com/ma...3999/63483.pdf

Reference:
    1...https://www.ourfigs.com/forum/figs-h...-and-led-tubes
    2... https://www.ourfigs.com/forum/bluebe...r-and-spectrum
    3... https://www.ourfigs.com/forum/figs-h...r-fig-cuttings
    Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Most impressive (Darth Vader voice)!
    Zone 7a Westchester County, NY
    Wish List: Figo Preto, Bordissot Negra Rimada, Col De Dame Blanc, Smith, Cravens Craving, Noire De Barbentane, Strawberry Verte

Comment

• AscPete
      AscPete commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks...

Well...this seems quite a bit better than my set up with two of these guys from Harbor Freight.

Comment

• AscPete
      AscPete commented
      Editing a comment
      The idea was to create modular light fixtures that can be quickly and easily duplicated, with no or minimal wiring skills.
      The PVC Frame can easily be replaced with any appropriate available materials, like a small piece of wood with anchoring / hanging points for the light bulbs.

AscPete - If i were to make this DIY light for 2'x4' setup, would i need to get 2 sets to get +600 PPFD?
    GA 7b

Comment

• AscPete
      AscPete commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, but keep in mind;

Grow Light Sizing;
      https://www.ourfigs.com/forum/figs-h...327#post681327

100 - 200 PPFD = Seedlings / Cuttings
      200 - 400 PPFD = Vegetative
      600 - 800 PPFD = Flowering

A 630 PPF 24 bulb fixture can provide more than 800 PPFD coverage for a 24" x 48" area.

That being said, two of these string lights can be easily daisy chained with no additional wiring, up to a manufacturers recommended eight (8) total strings, but I would only do six (6) maximum....

• Dbills
      Dbills commented
      Editing a comment
      I believe the answer is yes.

• tharnsur
      tharnsur commented
      Editing a comment
      Awesome! Just purchased 2 sets of string lights! Thanks again.

I started to make a few cree led grow lights out of cpu heat sinks with fans, extreme light. First pic lights all off in theater room, second one is just this 100watt cree light nothing else. Lights the room up like the sun, and produces heat like the sun too, lol.
    Attached Files
    Myfigs:https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...QMA/edit#gid=0. WL: I 258, violeta, RDB, Black Ischia, Raspberry Latte, Malta black, Figo Preto, Galacia Negra, Black Zadar. Spokane, Wa. Z6

Comment

• AscPete
      AscPete commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for commenting...
      IMO, the major issue with most "DIY COB" other than material costs, wiring and assembly is the "Poor Light Distribution" (Hot Spots) over the grow area.

• shawnjames70
      shawnjames70 commented
      Editing a comment
      Ya bought from newegg and one of the two cree distributers , cant remember names but it was like 10 bucks for heatsink, 15 bucks for cree led and 15 bucks for led 100 watt driver(balast?). Fun project..

Thanks for posting, are the e26 more effective than the 19s?
    Wish list. White Baca, Rigato de Salento PB, Iranian Candy, Nerucciolo D’Elba, Saint Martin

Comment

• Dtownfigs
      Dtownfigs commented
      Editing a comment
      Got it thanks. Quick question, I’ve got strip of A19 and three grow specific lights that allow turning on red white or blue spectrum. Currently I’ve got the white and blue on, but should I also have the red on as well. My thought was to promote vegetative growth with just the white and blue. Thanks

• AscPete
      AscPete commented
      Editing a comment
      You should also use / add the red, it should promote increased photosynthesis.

Vegetative growth requires all wavelengths of visible light, they work together for healthiest development.

• Dtownfigs
      Dtownfigs commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Pete, I’ll go switch on the red!

When it comes to the distance between the LED bulb and leaves, how close is too close?
    ​​​​​​
    Southern Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada

Comment

• AscPete
      AscPete commented
      Editing a comment
      The plant leaves will provide indication with visible heat / light damage and or bleaching.
      The measured intensity of a 1600 Lumens 15 Watt LED bulb is over 100,000 Lux (over 1,500 PPFD) at 2" and over 200,000 (over 3,000 PPFD) Lux at 1"...

I cant view the images that are uploaded. I want to see your setup AscPete but cant view the pictures.

Comment

Hi Pete
    Outstanding work, as always. I am curious when and how and why you would use a dimmer in this setup
    Thank you sir

Comment

• AscPete
      AscPete commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi Coop,
      Thanks.
      A dimmer actually increases the efficacy of the diodes, so 1/2 the operating watts is actually more than 1/2 the Lumens output. Haven't had time to measure for an actual percentage, will get around to that measurement as time allows. You could also use the same 15 watt bulbs dimmed for seed starting and vegetative growth while conserving power usage.

An application would be if the light was mounted on the underside of a fixed shelf, for example; for a 3' height, you could dim all 12 (dimmable) bulbs and maintain the same even coverage for seedlings thru ~ 24" tall plants. Although, due to the versatility of this E26 base "Fixture" you could simply use less bulbs, lower wattage bulbs and or different style bulbs (PAR30, PAR38, BR30, BR40, etc)

A simplified chart for Sizing and Spectrum selection of the DIY LED Grow Light...
    Last edited by AscPete; 01-07-2020, 07:16 PM. Reason: Added photo (public)...
    Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

Outstanding work Pete. Most informative
      Thank You

Comment

• AscPete
        AscPete commented
        Editing a comment
        You're welcome.

AscPete inspired me to try a similar approach. I just finished this 4'X8' shelf. I have 25 14 watt bulbs drawing about 350 watts. Mine are a bit more spread out but still produces 7000-15000 lux at the cuttings (which are closer than AscPete 's setup).

I used slightly different string lights that did not have each light on a wire. That allowed me to trim off a small loop and then hang them directly from a particle board shelf using wire staples (with screws instead of nails to not puncture the shelf above). My light string was: https://www.hometownevolutioninc.com...16-gauge-wire/

It was easier and less expensive than my other shelves, so I plan to do more.

One question - where did you get led light bulbs? I found 4 for $7.97 at Walmart, but not a better deal.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1494.jpeg
Views:	185
Size:	3.01 MB
ID:	689232Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1495.jpeg
Views:	163
Size:	3.23 MB
ID:	689233
      Fig Plants Available Now, Free Shipping: https://tinkerbugfigs.com/product-category/figplants/
      Zone 7A - Moorestown NJ

Comment

• AscPete
        AscPete commented
        Editing a comment
        cepeders ,

The ones that I’ve measured were high voltage DC, but you can place a dollop / drop of 100% Silicone Caulk on the exposed terminals as an insulator.

I’ve also used Clear 100% Silicone Caulk (Silicon I) as a protective covering over the Diodes and PC Board. When Mixed with Mineral Spirits the Silicone is thinned and will “Flow” evenly over the board and diodes.

• cepeders
        cepeders commented
        Editing a comment
        Good point. I have silicone conformal coating spray that I can try too. I’ll take a picture , but I figured it was AC because there was only a resistor and capacitor between the socket and the board. Seemed similar to the LED COB boards (which are coated) but have similar looking IC rectifiers. I a mechanical engineer though, so still have lots to learn about circuits

• AscPete
        AscPete commented
        Editing a comment
        To change AC to DC only requires a "Bridge Rectifier" which is a relatively small in-line device at these lower watts.
        The Resistors and Capacitors decrease, smooth out the final DC voltages / watts while the LEDs (Diodes) are arranged in Series and Parallel circuits for optimal operation at the higher voltages.

Thanks so much for this wealth of lighting information. Looks great!
      Tony. Pickens county, SC zone 7B
      WL: Azores Dark; Brooklyn White; Dominick; Florea; Golden Riverside; Napolitana; nothing I can't pronounce!

Comment

• AscPete
        AscPete commented
        Editing a comment
        You're welcome,
        I'm hoping it helps clear up some of the misinformation that's circulation out there about LED Grow Lights.

I’m having trouble finding the bulbs 2/$1. My store has generic bulbs for $1 each. Not complaining but was hoping to find the two packs.
      Zone 8B Willamette Valley, Oregon

Wishlist: , Planera, Del sen juam gran, Campaniere, Sant Vincenze.

Comment

• AscPete
        AscPete commented
        Editing a comment
        Just stopped in at a store that I pass on my commute, Middletown NY. You're right they did not have the 2/$1 Sunbeam 15 watt bulbs, only the 2/$1 9 watt Sunbeams, $1 each 8 Watt and 14 Watt "Generic" GFS BriChips (UL Listed) LED Bulbs which have the newer generation LED Chips, their only downside (other than the cost) is that they are Non-Dimmable...
    Working...
    X