X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When I say "My Fig Friend Figgary From the Fig Forum"

My wife laughs and thinks I am so over the top. There is a frenzy of activity with all the rooting of cuttings and research. Morning the loss of prized cuttings when things go so very bad. It all just seems too intense to be about figs. Is this madness going to taper off? My other hobbies are suffering a little.

Dan

It gets worse, trust me.
    Cutting sales have ended for the season. Plant sales will start March 1 at 8 eastern time. If it is still too cold in your area I can hold your plants till a date of your choosing.

Comment

This is just the start, the insanity grows exponentially!

Example. ... fall of 2014 I had 4 fig trees.... fast forward one year to fall off 2015 I had 78 fig trees. I now have over 80 fig trees with around 40 cultivars currantly being rooted.

And I can't seem to stop looking to see what else I might want to buy or trade for.

I suspect that come 2017 I will breaking the 200 mark and still looking to see what else I can add.
      Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

Yeap, much worse !
        USDA z 10a, SoCal. WL: Raspberry Tart, Boysenberry Blush

Comment

There is no such thing as to many figs, only to little land.

Comment

• COGardener
            COGardener commented
            Editing a comment
            Here, here! !

• joann1536
            joann1536 commented
            Editing a comment
            If that isn't the truth! I'm even thinking of moving...

Stop collecting low-value grades and the number of plants to stabilize at 20 - 30, max.

Comment

• don_sanders
            don_sanders commented
            Editing a comment
            Hey Vladis. What zone are you? About an 8? Do you have the same varieties in Russia that we have here? Which one have you settled on?

Originally posted by danw View Post
          Is this madness going to taper off?
          No. This pit is bottomless.

My other hobbies are suffering a little.
          Yep.

My fig friend Figgary
          Shout out to Gary. Gary appreciation day.

Comment

• Jamie0507
            Jamie0507 commented
            Editing a comment
            I second the "Gary appreciation Day!" The man is my fig growing idol! Seriously.. I heart Figgary 😁😉

Big trouble rusty
          Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
          1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy 👼🏼.
          2) This weeks ebay auctions.

Comment

Fun!
            Jerry, Canyon Lake TX 8b

Comment

It's a race to see who can collect them all first!!!
              Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

Lol, Scott! It is like counting all the stars
                USDA z 10a, SoCal. WL: Raspberry Tart, Boysenberry Blush

Comment

Perhaps not an easy task.... yet one day perhaps. Can you imagine? not only the collection it's self but the space in which to keep them all.
                  Last edited by COGardener; 02-07-2016, 01:19 PM.

Comment

Hey there, Dan... I spent nine hours with your Figgy Friend Figgary on Friday, packaging up cutting orders. We were laughing for much of that time... mostly at HarveyC's expense; as he provides much too easy of a target! LOL!!
                    CA 9b "May you sit under your own fig tree..." This metaphor, in use since Solomon, is a wish for the receiver's spirit to know peace, for their family to be secure, and for their life to be fruitful.

Comment

• Jamie0507
                      Jamie0507 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Blue I am jel lol! Also I am not surprised the two of you are buds, birds of a feather right?

• danw
                      danw commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Sounds like a good time to me! Well, except for the working all day part. But I am down with the laughing all day!! I won't tease Harvey until I meet him at least once.

• HarveyC
                      HarveyC commented
                      Editing a comment
                      You guys certainly made the work more fun. Next time one of you two need to do the walk-in job!

Wow, my own topic! Thanks, neighbor Dan. You know, you don't really need other hobbies.
                    Shout out back at you, Levar.
                    Blue, it was a good day. I enjoyed spending it with you and the Assassin.
                    Jamie, you are too kind. Thank you.
                    I've made some very dear friends in this hobby that we all enjoy. Sharing is the best part of it.
                    figgary
                    Gary USDA 9A
                    Sebastopol, CA

Comment

• Bluemalibu
                      Bluemalibu commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Blast you, Dan... you, and your Fi-ga-ry. Now I can't get the @@@@ VanDyke song Chim Chim Cher-ee out of my head. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_mpaF5-SlU )

It happens with 'It's a Small World' too..

Doh!........ Now I have dueling songs stuck in my head!!!!
                      Last edited by Bluemalibu; 02-09-2016, 11:15 AM.

• danw
                      danw commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Haha, love it!

• Sarahkt
                      Sarahkt commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Haha, great to have a Gary appreciation thread. Gary is one of the best of the fig enablers, and the very first fig forum member (and internet friend) I met in person!

And BLUE! Great to see you over here too! Welcome.
                  Working...
                  X