X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the thinnest cutting you've successfully rooted?

Just looking to see if anyone has had any success at all with cuttings on the thinner side....as in the less than a #2 pencil realm?
    Zone 6B PA

I rooted a few outside in late summer that were much thinner than a pencil
    Zone 8B (almost 9A), SE Georgia

Comment

I rooted a tiny twig that I almost threw away. Much thinner than a No. 2 pencil. It was the only cutting taken from a small and young tree that I did not think would make it through winter. It didn't, and I was very glad to have the cutting! I took the cutting in late November and rooted it in mid-December, so not stored very long. The cutting rooted fine and was one of my fastest growing tree that summer and even ripened two figs.
      “The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now.”
      – Chinese Proverb
      MA 5b/6a

Comment

quarter inch celeste and sbt green wood cut off early spring and leafed out, stuck in pots of soil in full sun with leaves stripped away and dipngro used. almost all rooted
        Z8A NC SANDHILLS

WISH LIST BURGAN UNK, ZAFFIRO,

Comment

i got a local unknown (looks adriatic-y), all the other cuttings never did anything (likely cut from dieback) and a little 5 inch twig less than 1/4" thick, just stuck in a pot, pushed a couple of leaves in early may. it stalled for quite some time then went full beanstalk and put on ~7 feet of single trunk growth by october - set a few figlets but nothing that would ripen in time so i pinched them. In the meantime i acquired several other known adriatic types (battaglia, strawberry verte, WM#1, and a couple others). i thought i would leave it outside this winter to attempt to fight the elements, but the growth was just too good to leave to chance so we'll see what it does next year. Worst case, it'll become rootstock after next season if it doesn't prove tastier or earlier than some of the others.
          Fairfax, VA Zone 7a
          Wish List: RLBV, St. Martin, Thermalito

Comment

I've recently got rooting on some pretty skinny VdB and Danny's Delight green cuttings. Now to see if they make it past up potting.
            Tony; Pickens county, SC zone 7b
            WL: Brooklyn White; Dominick; Golden Riverside; Maltese Beauty; Norland

Comment

The smallest ones I've rooted, were 2 cuttings that Steve, (Rewton) was kind enough to share with me in January, 2016. Both together may not have been as thick as a pencil. He had gotten so many requests for this new variety, all he had left were these 2 cuttings. Of course, he said that if I failed with them, he could send better ones the next year. Both rooted easily, though they were some slow to grow, small plants. 3 years later, mine produced a great crop of amazing figs. The other, I gave to my friend, Dan. Here is a pic of my White Madeira 1 today. Thanks Steve!
              Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5472.JPG
Views:	336
Size:	5.43 MB
ID:	690067

Gary USDA 9A
              Sebastopol, CA

Comment

Beautiful tree Gary

Comment

• figgary
                  figgary commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks, Brian. Certainly one of my favorites.

I rooted a tiny Petite Negri sucker, that was in the ballpark of 3/16" and about 3" long. But it was small on account of low vigor and was well lignified. It was just an experiment to see if it was possible and it took off. I can't remember if I gave it away or used it as rootstock, but it rooted just fine.

These days, I graft cuttings that size, either to stunted rootstock or other cuttings.
                Springfield, OR - Zone 8b
                WL: Ischia Black, Iranian Candy

Comment

one that just recently rooted for me is half a pencil thick.
                  5B - Chitown

Comment

I rooted a thin, green, actively growing branch from Holy Smokes as a backup tree in mid summer 2019. It wasn't too much thicker than a wire coat hanger. It rooted fairly quickly. Rigo007 has it now. I hope it does well in Fla!
                    Bill
                    New Madrid, Mo. Z7

——

We all bleed fig-honey!

Comment

• Rigo007
                      Rigo007 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      It's already growing more here, Bill, thanks again sir.

• Bellefleurs
                      Bellefleurs commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Such a pretty fig....
                      Hoping that it becomes more widely available.

Man... I’ll let you know when I finally successfully root one.
                    Zone 5 Omaha. WL - Michurinska green

Comment

I rooted 2 Teramo cuttings that were about 3-4” long and less than a 1/4” thick. They didn’t survive the up pot though.
                      Oregon, Z 8b. WL: zaffiro, campaniere, thermalito, DSJG, verdolino, Green mich, rubado, sodus Sicilian, Burgan, petravaca bijela, valle negra, fiorone di ruvo, st. Martin, qudsaya, cherry cordial, cul d’asse, grise de st Jean, iznot, salce, verdal negra, BNR, RDS, PR

Comment

I rooted the tiny suckers on the bottom of a brand new TC with a 100% success rate while they were completely green. That was the easiest thing I've ever done. It was way easier than rooting hardwood cuttings. Go figure. I wrapped them in damp paper towels and in a couple weeks I had roots like a ponytail on every one. I wish I could do that with hardwood cuttings in January
                        Zone 8A Southeast NC Coast
                        Subscribe via YouTube:https://www.youtube.com/c/TheMillennialGardener
                        Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/NCGardening

Comment

• DerekWatts
                          DerekWatts commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Isn't it funny how something can be so easy one time, and nearly impossible to duplicate later, when you need it?

• TheMillennialGardener
                          TheMillennialGardener commented
                          Editing a comment
                          DerekWatts tell me about it. I had 80-90% success rooting last year, but this year I am more like 50-60% so far. It's been very sunny and warm compared to last year, which was cloudier and cooler. I have had the heat off most of the December and the windows open during the day. I wonder if the less consistent environment is throwing off my success compared to last year, where I had the home more climate-controlled? Maybe it's just me.

Took these 2 days before this thread started. Leafing out in January with freezing weather ahead. I will see what they do. I have rooted a few tiny ones before.
                        PPP
                        Eatonton, GA zone 7b/8a

Comment

I have rooted 1/8” cuttings before. I really do not like to because they fail more often than succeed.
                          As soon as you start seeing green growth and the pot dries out a bit you have to fertigate lightly with 1/2 strength solution.
                          There is very little energy to sustain growth in the little guys!

Zone 8B - Cottage Grove, Or
                          Wish List - Raspberry Cream, Lauralita, LP 4000, WXC014, WXC016, WXC019 and WXC20 to all be common.

Comment

I am still to hardheaded to toss them. However, they have a very high failure rate and are probably best cleft grafted. Getting roots is not the problem, it’s after the up pot when they run out of gas. If you do try it, use high temps during the up pot 80* to keep them trucking. I’ve noticed the cooler temps (72-75*) are the demise of the thin cuttings.

Comment

• Netstars
                              Netstars commented
                              Editing a comment
                              That may be my problem because my grow room is at 72 degrees. Interesting 🧐

When I was taking cuttings and shaping my first year figs, I had a ton of short stubby cuttings. I have a hard time just throwing away good plant material. Even when I trim my citrus, I'll grab the branches and stick them under a tree somewhere. I guess I just feel like I need to give life a chance....and hopefully life, uh, finds a way.
                            Attached Files
                            -Luke S. at Keesler AFB, 9a
                            -SAH Dad, gardener, fan of comedy, philosophy, and the deep dive on YouTube
                            -W/L: JN, CCN, Thermalito

Comment

These posts are very encouraging.
                              My super special cuttings from Wills arrived yesterday and two of them (my most highly anticipated) are very small/ thin. I’m going to try my very best to get them to root and I’m using Gina’s DE method.
                              Piney Point Village, Zone 8b
                              W/L: Cessac

Comment

Bellefleurs I got some thinner ones of more expensive varieties as well, but they were longer. I cut off at least a 2 node piece with as much extra underneath the node as possible and have them set aside to give me a shot at grafting the variety in spring.
                                Attached Files
                                -Luke S. at Keesler AFB, 9a
                                -SAH Dad, gardener, fan of comedy, philosophy, and the deep dive on YouTube
                                -W/L: JN, CCN, Thermalito

Comment

I have rooted tiny twigs that should have been thrown out. But none that I purchased, just from pruning around the bottom of my figs. The 2 in the picture were cut from the plant and then stuck around the base of it, its been a few weeks now so I know they are rooted. Will remove in the spring. I did it just to see what would happen, they are from a seedling rootstock. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0350[1].JPG
Views:	170
Size:	2.85 MB
ID:	690605
                                  Central Florida zone 9b
                                  Wish List Thermalito, Exquisito

Comment

Spring of 2019 i rooted cuttings like below. It seems also to work in 2020.
                                    These cuttings are 3 to 4mm and started on 01-12-2019 and today I see the first roots.
                                    The varity is Ronde De Bordeaux

Why these small cuttings? All bigher cuttings are stored in the refrigerator for exchange. Ore I root them later.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200111_154001491_iOS.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	691680Click image for larger version

Name:	20200112_145522729_iOS.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	691681
                                    Growing: Brown Turkey, Ronde de Bordeaux, Hardy Chicago, Dottato, Michurinska-10.
                                    Wish list: Yellow long Neck, Smith, Sao Miguel Roxo and cornel littman black cross
                                    Netherlands zone 7B/8A?

Comment

I take those as a personal challenge.
                                      Attached Files

Comment

About 1/8 inch
                                        Actively seeking any and all varieties
                                        #Sharing is caring
                                        Courtenay, BC 🇨🇦 zone 8a

Comment

I once had a buyer who requested 10-cuttings that were "thin like a pencil" so I went out and clipped them his way. I've stuck skinny ones in the ground in March (rather than discard) and they grew just fine with rootone and daily watering. No parafilm.
                                          Oregon City, OR (Zone 8b) by Portland.

Comment

Working...
                                          X