X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welcome aboard Tamara. It's a great place, nice people and tons of information.
    San Diego County, CA - Zone 10

Comment

So out of curiosity, how did everyone get into figs? My venture began with my first taste. I was about 8 yrs old the first time I recall eating a fig. It was a mission fig, and to an 8yr old child it was huge! I had to share it.. if i would have known how good it was going to taste, I'm sure i would have begged for more.. It wasn't till a few years later that i was able to have more. We were going up north in California, there were orchards everywhere. People were pulling over on the side of the road freely picking from the fig trees! Of course my mom stopped as well and we all filled our shirts full.. I cannot tell you how many I ate that day, but I can say it's one of my favorite memorys!
      Then I grew up, moved away from California, no more orchards... I missed being able to walk through the farmers orchards eating my belly full.. I missed figs...
      I had to find a way to have figs! I first sought out a way to purchase fresh fruit from the orchards I used to walk through. But they were gone!! I called nursery, no one had them here..
      I finally found a nursery willing to ship me a tree!! Only 100.00 for shipping. That wasn't bad I though, maybe I'd finally get to eat a fig again...
      I planted my little tree. I cared for it the best I knew how... gophers wanted my tree more than I did I guess...
      I was devastated.
      Mothers day was coming, my daughter brought me another fig tree!! It was labeled celeste, everyone tells me it's a brown turkey. Whatever it is though, I love it! And I've gotten about 20 edible figs from it so far.
      It's been in the ground a little over 5 years now. Each year I've taken steps to winterize it, but it kept dying back to the ground, and by the time it would grow again I'd be lucky if I'd get a handfull of fruit from my tree!
      This past year I've become determined to allow my tree not to die back and shoot up again...
      I built a greenhouse around my tree last year in September.
      So far, all is well...
      I await impatiently for spring to come...
      The spare bedroom has became my indoor greenhouse where I baby my newest trees and will continue to do so until they are strong enough to be outdoors in the greenhouse.
      This is my story.
      I hope you all enjoy!

Tamara

Comment

You’ll find lots of information here for winter protection as well as fertilization and propagation. Most folks trade varieties using cuttings. Then you have to learn how to propagate cuttings (I’m still working on that part).
        Zone 5 Omaha. WL - Michurinska green, Malta black, maybe I-258?

Comment

Oh ya- and post lots of pictures! That way people can critique... Er .... i mean, offer helpful suggestions.
          Zone 5 Omaha. WL - Michurinska green, Malta black, maybe I-258?

Comment

• Sweethrtbbgrl
            Sweethrtbbgrl commented
            Editing a comment
            Lol I think I am my worst critic.

• Sweethrtbbgrl
            Sweethrtbbgrl commented
            Editing a comment
            As for pictures, I have not figured that out yet.

Comment

Welcome!

I went to school in Stillwater, and used to go camping and hunting just north of Muldrow.
            Texas (N. Houston area) - zone 8b
            Wish List: Col Littman's Black Cross, Rubado, Calderona, Harry's Crete, Cavaliere, GM-172, and GM-25

Comment

Welcome Tamara I thought I recognized that city lol.

Comment

• Sweethrtbbgrl
                Sweethrtbbgrl commented
                Editing a comment
                Only since I get such great tres from you!

Welcome to OurFigs!
              Ed
              SW PA zone 6a

Comment

Working...
              X