X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Persistent Caprifigs

I want to try and hand pollinate some Smyrna and San Pedro varieties in the future as well as attempt some trials at common fig caprification. What are some of the best persistent caprifigs? I'd like to track down cuttings for something with excellent taste and decent pollen production.

Question for people in wasp territory: At what point in the season do wasps actually begin to pollinate? When would someone in non-wasp terrorist collect persistent caprifig pollen and hand pollinate a Smyrna fig?

You don't need persistent caprifigs to caprify caducous or common figs.

For fertilization both Roeding #3 and Stanford are highly rated and widely available.
    Fruit crazed in Vista CA. http://tangentvectors.com

Comment

Thanks for the info Richard. I mainly want a persistent caprifig rather than a caprifig since they produce edible fruit. That being said, 271-1 seems to have been used to breed many good varieties. I wonder how late of a fig it is. What time in the season is considered optimum for harvesting pollen and hand pollinating?

Comment

Originally posted by 5kz View Post
        I mainly want a persistent caprifig rather than a caprifig since they produce edible fruit.
        This is a false oft-repeated rumor on fig boards. It appears to have originated as an overgeneralization of a statement by Ed Stover in an article a decade ago, which in itself was a mis-statement concerning Croisic (the actual breeding caprifig was Kearney).

Regarding timing of fertilization: pollen is produced by the breba crop of caprifigs and viable about the time it is needed by a corresponding caducous fig. I say "corresponding" because there are early-, mid-, and late-season caprifig cultivars to match with early-, mid-, and late-season main crop figs.
        Fruit crazed in Vista CA. http://tangentvectors.com

Comment

Working...
        X