X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First To Leaf Out in 2020

This tree is ridiculous!! It was, by far, the first last year too. It’s NOT spring time here but this tree just doesn’t care. 😂

This is a single crop caprifig that appears to be isolated from other nearby caprifigs but interestingly, last year I found wasps in the early spring caprifigs. That is strange because it would mean that there has to be a nearby one that actually ripens the winter crop VERY early so they can populate this caprifig. Looks like I need to go exploring and see if I can locate that one too.
    Attached Files
    Eric - Santa Barbara, CA Zone 10a

That's potentially valuable. Do you think the earliness is related to the plant's traits or is there possibly a microclimate at work?
    Springfield, OR - Zone 8b ISO: San Miro Piro, Hative d'Argenteuil, Campaniere, Planera

Comment

• Evdurtschi
      Evdurtschi commented
      Editing a comment
      That’s what I’m thinking. This might be a valuable trait. I see no reason why this would have a microclimate different from others. It’s on an unexposed hillside. It does get full sun but most of my trees get full sun

starting to grow here at my home in louisiana, not as much as yours though.
    Independence Louisiana Zone 8B

Comment

• Evdurtschi
      Evdurtschi commented
      Editing a comment
      Most of mine won’t start for another 6 weeks

• Nick Costanza
      Nick Costanza commented
      Editing a comment
      we will probably get a few more hard freezes in February

Mine are starting to wake up and grow here in North Florida. It's been unusually warm.
    North Central Florida, Zone 9a.

Comment

My Zappia figs never really went dormant here, started setting more main crop like a month ago. Cavaliere woke up after I knocked off the few remaining leaves like 3 weeks ago and it's in full on grow mode. We got one or two nights below 32, then it's been relatively warm. Rodgrod, Nina 4 and LSU Black woke up as well. They don't quite know what to do with the weather this year.
      -Luke S. at Keesler AFB, 9a
      -SAH Dad, gardener, fan of comedy, philosophy, and the deep dive on YouTube
      -W/L: JN, CCN, Thermalito

Comment

Here in Fresno everything is in a deep dormancy. Usually by March is when bud break will occur. We are consistently in the low to mid 30’s at night.

Comment

An inground Green Ischia has 5 new full size leaves. That is 3 to 4 weeks earlier than 2019.
          Johnson1
          Zone 9b
          S of Tampa Bay, FL

Comment

Working...
          X