X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tomato...Tomaatoe

I have two questions I'd really like to know the answers to. Is the correct pronunciation of Panache, Pa Nash, or Pan a shay? The other is can someone please tell me what makes CLBC such a desirable variety? Good growth, great taste or some other attributes? Thanks for your help.
    Tony. Pickens county, SC zone 7b
    WL: Atreano; Azores dark; Brooklyn White/Dk; Florea; Golden Riverside; Lattarula; LSU Early Improved Celeste;any of the Maltese or Italians; Napolitana: Tiger Panache

I knew the Colonel would get you.
    wish list: Colonel Littman's Black Cross

Comment

• Otis
      Otis commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm going to go on record here. If I happen to come upon it before you do...it's yours.

• spiff2
      spiff2 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Tony, I wish you a lot of luck. If either of us have it, both of us will have it.

• Otis
      Otis commented
      Editing a comment
      I thought of that after I said it, Gary...but you're the better gardener of us and I'd trust you with cuttings of that bad boy first for sure.

LoL, no, no seriously I don't want the Colonel (well maybe Sanders in the old days), just would really like to know why everyone else does
    WL: Atreano; Azores dark; Brooklyn White/Dk; Florea; Golden Riverside; Lattarula; LSU Early Improved Celeste;any of the Maltese or Italians; Napolitana: Tiger Panache

Comment

• Bellefleurs
      Bellefleurs commented
      Editing a comment
      CLBC is supposed to be a wonderful fig. Dark with a sweet, jammy interior that doesn't split. I regard it as a premium fig alternative to CC which allegedly doesn't grow well in humid climates.
      My tree is very young but hopefully I will see nice growth this Spring.

• Otis
      Otis commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for that. I truly hope it turns out to be one of your favorites

It is a French variety, and the pronunciation is (close to) pan - a - shay, with the accent on the last syllable.
    Don, Danmark

Comment

• Otis
      Otis commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Don, I thought it might be.

Tomato?

po-mo-do-ro

Click image for larger version

Name:	pomodoro.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	142.5 KB
ID:	693093
    Guildwood Village - Toronto, Canada - Zone 6

Comment

• TorontoJoe
      TorontoJoe commented
      Editing a comment
      ginamcd - sorry.... was out of town and slow there.... yes, please!

• ginamcd
      ginamcd commented
      Editing a comment
      The great sauce vs gravy war wages on... I was going to post a humorous video on the subject, but it's a subject that provokes profanity and religious outbursts, so I'll have to go with the G rated explanation.

It's apparently a measurement of degrees of separation from the homeland.

Ask any Italian immigrant what they put on their pasta, they'll tell you sugo or salsa di pomodoro, with or without salsicce e polpette (sausages and meatballs).

Growing up on the outskirts of my home town's version of Little Italy and going to school with dozens of other first generation Italians, never was the word "gravy" uttered except during the days leading up to Thanksgiving. Again, we ate our pasta with sugo or salsa di pomodoro, and on Sunday's salsicce and polpette were added.

When I was in my 20's I met a second generation Italian woman whose mother had grown up in Boston. She kept talking about "ma's Sunday gravy with the sausages and the meatballs." I remember thinking her mother was crazy to be putting brown meat gravy on meatballs and sausages...

• TorontoJoe
      TorontoJoe commented
      Editing a comment
      Gina.... I will thank you for a PM with that profane link.... Please?

It is similar in Russian: pomidor. I guess you will be making a lot of tomato sauce. I love Italian food as much as I love Russian food but I do not cook and my wife is neither Italian nor Russian.
    Worcester, Massachusetts, Zone 6a - In containers 1 gal - 15 gal

Comment

CLBC is a fantastic fig here in my climate. It’s my favorite tasting fig out of over 200 varieties tasted this year. I have heard that it can be shy to bear fruit though.
      Eric - Santa Barbara, CA Zone 10a

Comment

• Evdurtschi
        Evdurtschi commented
        Editing a comment
        Bellefleurs It’s hard to compare them head to head since there were 2-3 months between trying them both. This year should have them ripening at or near the same time

• Otis
        Otis commented
        Editing a comment
        Coming from you, my respect for CLBC has gone up considerably, Eric. But is it still that rare in the community to score such silly high prices?

• Evdurtschi
        Evdurtschi commented
        Editing a comment
        I haven’t checked prices for awhile but it had been coming down in price compared to some of the other top tier figs. Maybe it has gone back up

I also had this question. Perhaps the name of the variety comes from the form of decoration of ostrich feathers on hats and military helmets of the XIX century. In any case, this word is used in French and Russian literary languages. In Russian, it is pronounced like this - Панаш (Panash), in French, it seems, the same way. When there word appeared in the horticultural practice, as a symbol of variegated I don't know. I assume that just like the name of the Fig variety, it comes from the name of the decoration.
      The French "Panachee" is derived from the Latin panna - pen.
      https://www.cnrtl.fr/definition/panache

Comment

acerpictum Appreciate your insight and perspective.

Comment

Not "gravy". Just saying...

Name:	t1.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	175.0 KB
ID:	693826

Name:	t2.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	278.5 KB
ID:	693827

Comment

• TorontoJoe
            TorontoJoe commented
            Editing a comment
            You are quite correct... and it's delicious!

I'm from the south too... Just a different one! We love our grease too!

That's just tomatoes.... Next week I'll show you what I can do with a pig!

• Bellefleurs
            Bellefleurs commented
            Editing a comment
            Wow!! Are you having some sort of event?

• Avant_gardener
            Avant_gardener commented
            Editing a comment
            That’s incredible! Is that just for personal use, or do you sell it somewhere?

Man, is that all for you?

Sorry I meant to make that a comment.
          wish list: Colonel Littman's Black Cross

Comment

• TorontoJoe
            TorontoJoe commented
            Editing a comment
            I wish...

no, this is an annual family event. Our little family of three is good for about 80-90, liter jars. maybe 4 bushels...That almost lasts us the year. It depends on the tomatoes...... the rest gets spread around.... I have the machinery and I host the event. usually first or second weekend after labour day..... a very long day it is.

• spiff2
            spiff2 commented
            Editing a comment
            Well it looks delicious. I bet that is a big day. By the end of it I would look like I had the measles.

Click image for larger version  Name:	001 (Copy).jpg Views:	0 Size:	99.8 KB ID:	693920Click image for larger version  Name:	002 (Copy).jpg Views:	0 Size:	127.2 KB ID:	693921

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1273 (Copy).jpg Views:	0 Size:	58.9 KB ID:	693922Click image for larger version  Name:	help (Copy).jpg Views:	0 Size:	69.7 KB ID:	693923Click image for larger version  Name:	image1 (Copy).jpeg Views:	0 Size:	84.9 KB ID:	693925Click image for larger version  Name:	20190914_192157_resized (Copy).jpg Views:	0 Size:	52.4 KB ID:	693926Click image for larger version  Name:	006 (Copy).jpg Views:	0 Size:	98.0 KB ID:	693927

Attached Files

Comment

• TorontoJoe
            TorontoJoe commented
            Editing a comment
            Is there another way?

• Bellefleurs
            Bellefleurs commented
            Editing a comment
            Amazing and what a wonderful tradition to share with your children.
            Really love this.

• Rafaelissimmo
            Rafaelissimmo commented
            Editing a comment
            Molto bello paisà, is that Gagooz in the back?

Greasy Gravy may be a southern thang, but not south Brooklyn!

Comment

• spiff2
            spiff2 commented
            Editing a comment
            The flour traps it.

• TorontoJoe
            TorontoJoe commented
            Editing a comment
            Up here mostly Woodbridge

TorontoJoe, do you add any spices to your sauce? It looks like you’ve got some beautiful things growing in your backyard.
          Piney Point Village, Zone 8b

Comment

Working...
          X