X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What now?

I know this is probably obvious to everybody but me, but what now?

Click image for larger version

Name:	D07F956C-8739-45C7-814F-37821326CAEA.jpeg
Views:	154
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	692762

Rooted? Done.
    Up potted? Done.

Now what?

How long should I be very lightly watering. How long in the sun? When and how should the next up pot be? What happens to the parafilm? I know, I know, these are super basic questions, but I’d never heard of, let alone used parafilm before or rooted any cuttings.

After all of my stressing, I did it!! They made it to the up pot and have been thriving!

Then I realized what now?

Complete newbie in need of a little guidance. 😬

Thanks!!
    Palm Beach County, South Florida - 10B

Oh stop rubbing your tropical weather in our sub freezing faces🥶
    Actively seeking any and all varieties
    #Sharing is caring
    Courtenay, BC 🇨🇦 zone 8a

Comment

• Janibd
      Janibd commented
      Editing a comment
      Hahahahaha! I could use some cold. I’m getting no break on my stinking ac bill!!! :-)

• BC BYRON
      BC BYRON commented
      Editing a comment
      Salt in the wound man

I can store these for you in my well maintained and temperature controlled storage in Chicago until "Spring"
    MJ
    Chicago Zone 5a/5b

Comment

• Janibd
      Janibd commented
      Editing a comment
      Not my babies!!

If it were my place I would move them back from the pool edge a bit, we get enough wind that a few topple over yearly. You would not like cleaning potting mix from your pool.

Parafilm should crack and fall off.
    Water and fertilize regularly. They look advanced enough you don't need to worry about limiting water unless you potted them in silt or pure peat moss.
    Up pot when pots are full of roots (check carefully, likely in 3 mos or so)
    Ed
    SW PA zone 6a

Comment

• Kevin912
      Kevin912 commented
      Editing a comment
      Well pull them around your neighborhood in the wagon. If you see neighbors stop and tell them about your new babies like a proud mom😎

• Janibd
      Janibd commented
      Editing a comment
      LOL! Kevin912 That’s what I asked Santa for this year. I love it! It really corners on my little patio. 😃

• Kevin912
      Kevin912 commented
      Editing a comment
      That's what I got for Christmas also

Congrats, your plants look beautiful. I would harden them off by slowly increasing the amount of sun exposure. I would start them off with a day in the shade. Next day 30 min of sun, then the next day 1 hour of sun and keep doubling the amount of sun exposure over a 1-2 week period. This is how I always harden my seedlings off, without any damage. Monitor them closely in the first couple of days. I am not sure how strong your sun is, but if they show any signs of wilting or leaf damage, immediately put them back in the shade.

As for the watering, I would suggest you get a moisture meter (they're pretty cheap) to monitor the water level. It's pretty hard to guess how much water they need once the plants move to opaque pots, so a moisture meter will tell you how much to water. As for the next potting size, people always say to never up pot bigger than 2 inches of your current pot size, but once my plants go outside they go from 2L (1/2 gallon) to 15L-20L (around 4-5 gallon) pots without any problems. Do make sure that the weather is warm enough when you move to pots this size, otherwise the small plants might sit in wet cold soil for too long, which could cause rot.

I can't give you any advice on the parafilm, as I don't use it myself, but I'm sure someone else will chime in.

Comment

• Janibd
      Janibd commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! I’ve been giving them some sun that’s why they’re in the wagon, so I can move them in and out of the patio. Wasn’t sure about the length of time to harden off. Now I’ve got a schedule. :-)

Just ordered a meter on Amazon!

Pretty sure at this stage you can just pull off the parafilm (gently) without any harm to the plant.
    East Coast, Zone 7a
    WL: Blue Celeste, WM#1

Comment

Please share what you are growing. It looks like you have some really nice trees.
      Piney Point Village, Zone 8b

Comment

• Janibd
        Janibd commented
        Editing a comment
        Figs: LSU Gold, Tiger, Scott’s Black, Purple, Desert King, Ronde de Bordeaux, and Bourajotte Gris.
        I also have some TCs: Pomegranate Salavatski, Sherbert Berry, Loquat, and Pakistan Mulberry.

• Bellefleurs
        Bellefleurs commented
        Editing a comment
        Very nice varieties....especially BGris.

Ed and Sapl gave you spot-on advice. Congratulations, you have successfully rooted some figs trees. Good job! One more thing, don't stress about asking basic questions. It's okay. Everyone here is learning, we are all at different levels. It is better to ask than to not know and then make a costly mistake.
      Angel #1 at 2 Angels Mushrooms-Chattanooga, TN Zone 7-B
      2020 WL: MIB, TX Peach, Burgan Unk., Thermolito, Yellow Neches, Shasta Peach, Jumbo, LSU Jack Lilly, Sanguinato.

Comment

• Janibd
        Janibd commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks so much! I’m pretty psyched about them making it this far. But there is no way I’d have been able to without everyone being incredibly generous with their advice.

Your trees look great. Just be careful that you don't expose them to too much sun too quickly. Our Florida sun can be brutal to young figs.
      North Central Florida, Zone 9a.

Comment

• Janibd
        Janibd commented
        Editing a comment
        Our sun down here is roasting, even now in January. I was thinking about putting them in the dappled shade of my Palm tree but I worry about the rain and the parafilm.

I actually won your Smith auction and they arrived today! They look amazing! And the extra cuttings were such a great surprise! I feel like it’s a Christmas bonus!

• Figarious Maximus
        Figarious Maximus commented
        Editing a comment
        Merry Christmas! I put up some shade cloth- 40% I think. Even new cuttings are happy under it until they get acclimated. At this point, I'd remove the parafilm and wouldn't worry too much about the rain.

• Janibd
        Janibd commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks! I do have a shade cloth that I pulled down for the winter. I guess it’s going back up. :-)

A few comments for friends in FL. Initially introduce to morning sun and progressing to longer intervals

During peak summer heat shading from late afternoon sun can help. Like 4PM and later. Not essential but it helps.

Have a good 2" of pine bark mulch to all the pots. This helps with plant health, temperature and moisture management.

From Mangoman, wrap the darker pots in aluminum foil for heat management. Adequate fertilizer is important.

Larger pots will be needed, sooner than you think. Figs can grow rapidly in FL. Rootbound plants can fool you! Rootball can be solid enough that it doesn't adsorb water. Water can be running out the pot bottom and the rootball is still dry. Solution is up potting and possibly a root pruning if needed.

It is only a matter of time before you will need a larger pool to accommodate bigger and more figs. LOL.

Stay on top of watering, quite possibly needed daily. Water stress them enough and it can take a few months or longer to recover.

Looks like you will be enjoying figs this year.

Johnson1
      Zone 9b
      S of Tampa Bay, FL

Comment

• Janibd
        Janibd commented
        Editing a comment
        My husband keeps telling people that he’s afraid he’ll come home one day and I’ll be filling in the pool with dirt. :-)

I do worry about the heat with the pots. My plan is to up pot into white 2 gallons and then into light colored 5 gallons. Hopefully, in the next few years when I figure out what my favorites are to go up to 10-15 gallon pots.

Since it doesn’t seem like our figs really ever go dormant I was wondering, how do you decide when to prune.
    Working...
    X