X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first Cosmic Crisp apple....Cosmic Dud!

I broke down and bought a couple pounds of Cosmic Crisp Apples today. I had to find out for myself how CC stacks up against my much beloved Honey Crisp Apple. They were $2.35/lb.

My first impression is that they are more insipid than a Red Delicious Apple.

Cosmic Crisp is not crisp, it is unpleasantly hard. The flavor and sweetness is so weak it could be mistaken for a raw red potato.

The only good thing I can say is that they are an attractive color and shape. The skin is also relatively tender.

Maybe I got a bad batch. They are Pacific Northwestern grown. The best tasting apples IMHO, of any variety, come from the Northern Appalachian growing region (New York State, Pennsylvania, and West Virginia), so maybe I should keep an eye out for Cosmic Crisp Apples from this region before I pass final judgment.

Thorntorn
    ​​​​​​
    Last edited by Thorntorn; 01-14-2020, 01:04 AM.
    W. PA., Pittsburgh, zone 6b USDA, but more 5b, realistically. All pot grown fig trees, no in-grounds.

They definitely aren’t as good as Honeycrisp. They are exceptionally crunchy and dense. They did have a nice flavor but very muted compared to Honeycrisp.
    Eric - Santa Barbara, CA Zone 10a

Comment

• Evdurtschi
      Evdurtschi commented
      Editing a comment
      Update. I had another today from Sprouts and this one was fantastic. I purchased Jazz and Honeycrisp also to compare them and Cosmic Crisp was the clear winner today. I must have had some that were picked too soon earlier. This was complex, tangy, sweet and very crisp ramv

Agree. Apples sold here from PNW have usually been picked pretty early. I have not seen them from local or Eastern orchards yet.
    Ed
    SW PA zone 6a

Comment

• JCT
      JCT commented
      Editing a comment
      Cosmic Crisp trees are available to Washington state growers only for some period of time. This goes for home gardeners as well, the trees are not supposed to be grown outside the state.

I was underwhelmed by the apple as well, a pity after all the hype. I'm rather glad that the trees are not generally available as I would have been tempted to get one, apple un-tasted....

Thorntorn

Here's my experience from just 30 minutes ago.

Bought three Cosmic Crisp from Sprouts yesterday and shared two with co-workers at lunch today. One was all deep red with the small spots. The other was half deep red with spots and also yellow on the other side.

Both were very good...not as crisp as the ones I got last fall but these were very flavorful and quite tart. They did not last long.

FWIW I do not know where these were grown...PNW or New York..so I cannot comment on your observations.

FWIW my new favorite apple is Envy although I have found that one must pick through the pile and choose only the firmest Envy apples..otherwise they can be mealy and not as flavorful. I have also found that they vary in color pattern with some being all red and others with a red and yellow mix...my experience is that the more red the better as in the yellower ones tended to be less crisp and more mealy.
    Last edited by Charles; Yesterday, 11:39 AM.
    Zone 9B; NorCal, Fair Play, CA
    I can also be found in San Jose and Rocklin and occasionally in Santa Cruz (hometown). Hit me up.

Comment

There was an apple tasting ranking that I saw during the CRFG in Monterey on Sunday. There's a brix number for each variety too so it's helpful. Honeycrisp is unexpectedly low on the ranking. Interesting stuff
      Attached Files
      San Jose CA, Zone 9b
      Wish list: GR, CC, CLBC, MIB, Burgan UNK, WM#1, Cali Candy, Brandon St Unk, Sangue Dolce, Calderona, Smith, Martinenca Rimada, Campaniere, Thermalito

Comment

• Nomnoms
        Nomnoms commented
        Editing a comment
        It says 2019. Since 2020 just started so they probably don't have one for this year yet

• TheMillennialGardener
        TheMillennialGardener commented
        Editing a comment
        Brix is misleading, in my opinion. A bag of sugar has a high brix score. Taste is so much more complex than sugar content. It's the texture, the acidity, the balance of subtle flavors inherent to the proteins within the fruit, etc. Taste is so driven by the amino acid balance. That's why shellfish is "sweet" despite containing no sugar. I think the Col de Dame figs score very low on the brix scale, but they're so good due to the texture, acidity and strong flavor.

• Suemc
        Suemc commented
        Editing a comment
        Nomnoms, Thanks for posting that ranking! I add new varieties almost every year to my cider+fresh eating orchard so am always happy to add more info to my fruit tree research file.

Texture is very crisp, but I agree flavor is lacking in these. Best mainstream USA variety I've had is Arkansas Black. Best overall mainstream variety for me is Smitten (grown and eaten in New Zealand, not the USA ones).
      East Coast, Zone 7a
      WL: Blue Celeste, WM#1

Comment

https://growingfruit.org/t/cosmic-cr...mmentary/25546
        Fruit crazed in Vista CA. http://tangentvectors.com

Comment

Best apple I have eaten was a Pacific rose. Sweet and super crisp. Not sure if it was from really healthy trees or what but amazing. When you started to bite it would almost split across apple it was so crisp
          Actively seeking any and all varieties
          #Sharing is caring
          Courtenay, BC 🇨🇦 zone 8a

Comment

• Thorntorn
            Thorntorn commented
            Editing a comment
            I've heard of Pacific Rose, and will get it ASAP. Thanks for the lead.

Thorntorn

Cosmic Crisp was a dud for me also. Finally tried them about 2 weeks ago when they first made it into local stores.. Not crisp at all when compared to Honey Crisp. Skin as well as interior reminded me of a storage apple in spring. Almost like they went through a hard freeze. All eight purchased were the same. Maybe they were from a bad batch or stored poorly? Honey Crisp has been my go to for the past few years until I found Ever Crisp last season. Ohio bred, Cross between Honey Crisp and Fuji, it is sweeter than HC and rock hard crisp. Almost too hard to eat off the core but I love it's crunch and sweetness. If you don't like a hard apple, would not recommend it. Ever Crisp also has long storage life, from my experience last winter. Cosmic Crisp just didn't do it for me but I will try it again, hopefully from a NE grower. Think the first ones came from the PNW?
          Ed B. West Coast of Michigan L.P. 6a/6b

Comment

• Thorntorn
            Thorntorn commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you, Ed. I will keep a lookout for Ever Crisp.

I got a nice batch of Honey Crisp apples from a farm near Mt. Hope, OH, not long ago. They were outstanding, but they having grown in the richer soil that Ohio has, over the leaner soils of most of Appalachian PA, NY, and WV, they lacked the richer flavor punch I find tantalizing that comes from growing in leaner soil. My opinion, of course.

Thorntorn

• UKE4U
            UKE4U commented
            Editing a comment
            Thorntorn, Ever Crisp are not found in stores yet in my area of Michigan. For the last 2 years they have only been available at the local farmers market. I was told that they are one of the new patent varieties that commercial growers have to pay a royalty for every tree planted. Don't know how true that is?

Jazz is what you want. It is the Black Madeira of apples.
          Phoenix, Arizona 9B

Comment

• Thorntorn
            Thorntorn commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes Jazz is another favorite of mine. It's remarkably delicious. Still not as commonly seen around here as Honey Crisp.

Thorntorn

• Charles
            Charles commented
            Editing a comment
            Agree..Jazz is often exceptional as well.

Very surprised at the feedback.
          Cosmic Crisp has been sensational for me. I must have bought several dozens already. Possibly the top apple this year. And I tasted maybe a hundred varieties.

Comment

• Evdurtschi
            Evdurtschi commented
            Editing a comment
            They’re grown near you so you probably get excellent ones that are picked ripe.

• Charles
            Charles commented
            Editing a comment
            And stored properly...I suspect improper/imperfect storage may account for the variation I see in apples at the store...pick carefully my friends.

Honey crisp was crisper than Cosmic Crisp and had more flavor.
          Worcester, Massachusetts, Zone 6a - In containers 1 gal - 15 gal

Comment

Am I the only one that totally missed the Cosmic Crisp hype...?

https://www.ourfigs.com/forum/bluebe...ic-crisp-apple
            “The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now.”
            – Chinese Proverb
            MA 5b/6a

Comment

The hype is real, 😂😂
              $1.79 Each!!!! At my local Target
              Attached Files
              Wish List: CdD Gigante, CdD Mutante, BNR, Golden Riverside (BenB)/Golden Rainbow , White Madeira #1, Col. Littman's Black Cross or Cravens Craving,

Comment

• TheMillennialGardener
                TheMillennialGardener commented
                Editing a comment
                Look at them. They were picked so long ago, they're starting to dry out and desiccate in spots. $2 for a month old apple. But maybe that's considered fresh since these are supposed to last 4 decades or something

$1.79 ea...
              and they were picked over 3 months ago and and kept at 34* in cold storage ever since.
              Mmm, fresh apples 🍎

Comment

Pink Lady is a nice apple to pair with Honey Crisp.

Comment

Thanks for your comment Evdurtschi about your more recent experience with CC.

The club apples (jazz, opal, topaz etc.) did get one thing right, they enforced strict quality control on the entire supply chain starting with the grower all the way to the store. The customer experience is always very good with these apples. And hence the perception that these apples are better than all others.
                  Unfortunately as a university developed apple, Cosmic Crisp has been unable to do this and the variation in quality really shows.

The potential is there; if it is grown, stored and shipped properly, it is one of the best. Maybe a great backyard apple?

Comment

• Evdurtschi
                    Evdurtschi commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I would absolutely grow this one if I could

Another descent newer apple is Koru. I was told it was rare, but has showed up at a local market, so not that rare. My understanding is that Koru was a single sport tree, or branch in a Fuji? orchard in Japan. The orchard was purchased for millions of dollars to secure the variety. A nice apple. Almost between Honey crisp and Pink Lady which had a touch of acidity.

Have any of you come across the Sumo Mandarin? Try it if you can find it. Super good. (Thanks Doug)

Comment

• ramv
                    ramv commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Sumo is the best citrus there is. IMO of course.
                    I liked it so much that I got the budwood for it and grafted it here. Despite the fact that it is extremely hard to grow citrus outdoors here.

• Evdurtschi
                    Evdurtschi commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I am getting Sumo scion this week!! Wahoo!!!

• ginamcd
                    ginamcd commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Koru showed up in stores up here and was good. I forget what it was going for, but I know it wasn't cheap.

Thanks for all your input. I will not throw in the towel with Cosmic Crisp just yet, especially in light of RAMV's information that CD was/is UNIVERSITY developed and managed.

That says it all...a probably fantastic apple, mismanaged by common sense void, intellectually impotent, and institutionally stagnant people, permanently installed as leaders in American society.

Thorntorn

W. PA., Pittsburgh, zone 6b USDA, but more 5b, realistically. All pot grown fig trees, no in-grounds.

Comment

Originally posted by Thorntorn View Post
                    mismanaged by common sense void, intellectually impotent, and institutionally stagnant people, permanently installed as leaders in American society.
                    Sounds like our government
                    East Coast, Zone 7a
                    WL: Blue Celeste, WM#1

Comment

For sweet and refreshing, I go Honeycrisp.

For flavorful and tangy, I go Pink Lady.

I haven't found better apples than these two. The closest competitor are Jazz Apples, in my opinion. I've tried these fancy-shmancy secret crosses that were "the best selection over 10 years of trials and 1,000 trees, etc., blah, blah," and they all fall short of Honeycrisp and Pink Lady. These fancy apples are like hybrid tomatoes. No matter how hard they try, they can't make a hybrid that competes with Brandywine Sudduth, Brandywine Yellow and Cherokee Purple.
                      Zone 8A Southeast NC Coast
                      Subscribe via YouTube:https://www.youtube.com/c/TheMillennialGardener
                      Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/NCGardening

Comment

The pink lady is our favorite too. I can’t remember the one in the foreground. Possibly twenty ounce.
                        Central IL Z6a
                        WL: Roots on the nice cutting I have!

Comment

• Netstars
                          Netstars commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I tasted my first Pink Lady apple and put one in ground the following planting season!

• Suemc
                          Suemc commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I have rootstock coming this spring and plan on increasing my pink lady numbers as I only have one of those.
                          I’m also getting a couple of Goldrush trees this year. I’ve never tasted the fruit but keep reading that they’re great for eating and cider.
                          My goal in life is to live long enough to taste the results of all the stuff I plant😂
                      Working...
                      X