X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Development of cuttings

I am new to figs and propagation by cuttings so I was looking for some critiques/comments. These were cut and scored, dipped in root stimulator and planted in potting soil in pots. It is Feb 9, and it has been three weeks in pots covered in polyethylene bags in my house (70F). Any comments welcome. How do they look, anything I should be aware of?
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.

Without a way to see the roots, there's no way to be sure. But that being said, they look great for 3 weeks. Here's crossing my fingers for luck that they're pushing roots as nice as the leaves!

And welcome to OurFigs!
    Bryant...Franklin County, VA...Zone 7a. Wish List: a 32 hour day....more sleep

Comment

Welcome!

Those do look great for 3 weeks, with those leaves and green buds. My only comment of concern would be that the soil looks a little wet and heavy (adding perlite would lighten the mix, assist with draining and better aeration for young roots), but looks like it's going just fine for you. I have often read that rooting stimulator isn't really necessary except for stubborn/weak rooting varieties and can delay budding, but that really doesn't look to be the case here. I recently received De La Reina, I-258, and Galicia Negra cuttings that had been pre-sterilized and treated with rooting agent, and all three have heavily rooted in under three weeks and are doing very well, so now I'm more of a believer about rooting hormone adding a boost.
      Sarah
      Bay Area, CA (zone: 9B)

Comment

I think they look fine.......your soil looks a bit wet so I would not water at all until it dries out some. At this stage water is the enemy.
        Cutting sales have ended for the season. Plant sales will start March 1 at 8 eastern time. If it is still too cold in your area I can hold your plants till a date of your choosing.

Comment

Thank Yall so much for the input! I would be lost without all this help.

Comment

Well, I thought these cuttings were doing well but have noticed many shoots have begun to droop and a few have fallen off. Here are some pictures, does anyone notice what I am doing wrong to cause this?
            You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 4 photos.

Comment

Two things--Have you noticed any gnats flying around? I have several cuttings that did the same thing and it's gnat larvae eating the roots. Also, does the pot seem unusually light? If so, it needs some judicious watering (preferably from the bottom to avoid those gnats).
              Bryant...Franklin County, VA...Zone 7a. Wish List: a 32 hour day....more sleep

Comment

Hmm I hadn't really noticed any gnats but if there are any how would I kill them? I have some permethrin that I could apply to the soil.

Comment

• DBJohnson
                  DBJohnson commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Look in the tops list....I started a thread yesterday about gnats.
              Working...
              X