X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My packaging/label method for cutting sales

Sorry, haven't posted much lately as I've been very busy pruning and now shipping cuttings. I've had a few people comment favorably on my method of labeling cuttings that I've sold and thought I'd share this idea with others who may find it helpful. I gave this a great deal of thought because of the large number of varieties and cuttings I was handling and needed to have something that was efficient.

First off, I assigned 184 varieties an item number of 0001 through 0184 in alphabetical order and these were put in 2.5 gallon slider plastic storage bags stored in 47 tubs in my walk-in cooler. I then printed out sheets of labels using Avery 5167 return address labels. These are then placed in envelopes in numerical order with tabs for increments for every 10 envelopes. Retrieval of cuttings from the appropriate tub is made fairly easy by use of an inventory list telling me which tub each variety is stored in. I usually retrieve one variety at a time and will wrap a cutting one or two times with Stretch-Tite food plastic wrap, then place the adhesive label on the plastic, and then wrap one more time. I use Stretch-Title brand from Costco as Amazon sells a very handy dispenser designed for this plastic which avoids the hassles of tangles, cutting, etc. (also works to varying degrees for other brands). If cuttings are being sent internationally, I first wrap the cutting with a piece of newspaper to absorb any excess moisture as this seems to reduce risk of mold.

I've found this to work out well and recipients have been able to easily identify the variety. Much better than taking time for me to write the names and the recipient trying to figure out what I wrote.

You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 3 photos.
    My fig photos <> My fig cuttings (starts late January) <> My Youtube Videos

I want to be like Harvey when I grow up!!
    Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

• HarveyC
      HarveyC commented
      Editing a comment
      I just hope to not grow up!

• COGardener
      COGardener commented
      Editing a comment
      Your right Harvey, it is overrated!

Very Efficient method Harvey. I use the stretch tite from costco too, but love the cutter you mentioned (link below). The avery labels and index is great, so many great ideas! Thanks

http://www.amazon.com/Stretch-tite-W...tite+dispenser
    May the Figs be with you!
    ​​​​​

Comment

Thank you for the great cuttings. Really liked how you labelled them.

Kevin (Eastern MA - Zone 5b/6a)

Comment

Yep I liked it well enough to steal the idea
        Cutting sales have ended for the season. Plant sales will start March 1 at 8 eastern time. If it is still too cold in your area I can hold your plants till a date of your choosing.

Comment

• HarveyC
          HarveyC commented
          Editing a comment
          I had &quot;borrowed&quot; the idea of writing names on green tie tape and attaching to cuttings from Bass but that was much too slow so I &quot;returned&quot; it.

Scott, me too! lol!
        Ryan aka churl82 on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/usr/churl82
        "wherever you stand be the soul of that place" ~ Rumi

Comment

Originally posted by HarveyC View Post

I then printed out sheets of labels using Avery 5167 return address labels.
          What software program do you use for your Avery 5167 labels?
          Thanks again for making all these wonderful cuttings available at a reasonable price.
          Mara, Southern California,
          Climate Zone: 1990=9b 2012= 10a 2020=?

Comment

• HarveyC
            HarveyC commented
            Editing a comment
            My wife Linda Oh, software.... Word. The last I did it myself I think there were templates for most Avery labels.

Thanks. The labels looked great!
          Mara, Southern California,
          Climate Zone: 1990=9b 2012= 10a 2020=?

Comment

Working...
          X