X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Berry Flavored Breba or San Pedro

Are there any good berry flavored figs that produce a good reliable breba crop?
    Travis - Zone 5a, Central WI
    Wish list - Green Michurinska, Yellow Neches, Any good breba producers or early varieties

Violette de Bordeaux. Quality flavor and early even for a breba crop. Though, most all breba crops are not the easiest to produce in cold zones.
    Tony WV 6b
    https://mountainfigs.net/

Comment

• WIFigger
      WIFigger commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, I appreciate the feedback! Are there any good Etna types you know of that have a reliable and good breba crop?

• mountainfigs
      mountainfigs commented
      Editing a comment
      Not in my experience, though I think some people have had some limited success with that. I've seen best breba success here with Latarulla and San Miro Piro for light skin breba and Grantham's Royal and VdB for dark skin, with VdB being the only berry fig among them. Brooklyn Dark, aka Malta Purple Red, aka Aldo's etc can have a productive berryish breba crop but it's really a sugar fig that can struggle to get sugary as a breba and so can taste berryish.

• WIFigger
      WIFigger commented
      Editing a comment
      I was just reading some of your old posts about San Miro Piro the other day. I think I'm going to have to keep my eye out for it.

I'm not an expert on breba crops but the ones that spring to mind that aren't San Pedros: VdB, Brooklyn White, Atreano, Nordland
    NE Ohio, Zone 6a. Wishlist: Sodus Sicilian

Comment

If you haven't read them already, see if you can find the posts by jrdewhirst on growing San Pedro's in cold areas. He found delaying the emergence from dormancy until outside temperatures are consistently above 50F will help them hold onto the breba crop. If you take them out when there's still a risk of colder temperatures or big spring-time temperature swings like we get here in the Northeast, they tend to drop the breba crop.
      “The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now.”
      – Chinese Proverb
      MA 5b/6a

Comment

• WIFigger
        WIFigger commented
        Editing a comment
        I have, but thanks for the reminder. It's been awhile since I've read that. We get those temp swings here too. This spring will be my first year with a San Pedro. I had a Desert King that grew quite a bit last season. I'm hoping to get a few breba. I'm trying to round out my flavor groups with both early season main crop and breba producers.

• jrdewhirst
        jrdewhirst commented
        Editing a comment
        Let me add that it can be difficult emotionally to leave the trees in storage in very dim light (e.g., my garage) while they are leafing out. But I've just sucked it up and waited. It didn't seem to matter -- direct sunlight didn't damage the young leaves. And the breba crops were great.

• ginamcd
        ginamcd commented
        Editing a comment
        Tough love, but big rewards! I have a few I'm hoping to try this with this year, but only one is a true San Pedro - Lampeira Preta. The other two are San Miro Piro (mentioned above) and my dad's unknown Sal's Corleone/Palermo Red variety which produces a good breba crop for him, but the main crop is so late it rarely has time to ripen.

Just remembered a third one I'm aiming for breba with - Oro (rosato).
        Last edited by ginamcd; 01-20-2020, 09:00 AM.

jrdewhirst - which San Pedro's have you had the best luck with? In addition to the DK I got a Norman's Yellow, but it didn't grow near as much.
      Travis - Zone 5a, Central WI
      Wish list - Green Michurinska, Yellow Neches, Any good breba producers or early varieties

Comment

• Seattlefiggirl
        Seattlefiggirl commented
        Editing a comment
        the normans yellow how yellow did it get? i got on but it doesnt look too different than DK. like it had tiny yellow than green. online photos show a yellow similar to lsu gold. do you have photos you can share?

• WIFigger
        WIFigger commented
        Editing a comment
        Seattlefiggirl - I haven't gotten any figs from it yet. Maybe this spring. It was a cutting last season. I'm curious to see what it looks like. There isn't much info on it that I could find.

WIFigger —. The short answer is Desert King.

Ive got a big Zumwalt, which has been very productive, plus two daughter trees, also productive. IMO, Zumwalt is a DK synonym.

Then in an attempt to diversify, I added a Filacciano Bianco, and I also added some daughter trees. After a slow start it (they) now produce(s) well. But once I got enough fruit, I realized that it’s a DK synonym too.

So basically I have 6 DK’s under two other names.

Last year I started cuttings of Lampeira Preta, which is definitely different. Maybe I’ll see some fruit this year.
      Joe, Z6B, RI. Looking forward to next season.

Comment

• jrdewhirst
        jrdewhirst commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm wide open to the possibility of adding a third SP variety (other than DK and Lampeira Preta), but I've never found another variety that seemed worth growing here, once I've got those two. Grantham Royal may come close but I was never convinced.

One thing to keep in mind is that SP brebas all ripen more or less at the same time -- there's roughly a 2-week window. Here it's late July to early August. One medium sized potted DK can easily give you 30-50 fruits; a big potted tree could produce over 100. How many fruits do you want all at once?

• WIFigger
        WIFigger commented
        Editing a comment
        How is DK or LP for drying or preserves, do you know? For fresh eating I couldn't go through that many, but I think it'd be ideal if you wanted to preserve them. I would love to try and combine figs with fruit that grows well in this climate like strawberries, blueberries, or raspberries.

• jrdewhirst
        jrdewhirst commented
        Editing a comment
        Sorry, I don't know. I dried a ton of main crop fruit from common figs last summer -- and they are awesome -- but none of the brebas from San Pedros. Drying seems to concentrate the sweetness. I assume that if the DK brebas start out reasonably sweet, the dried fruit will be good.
    Working...
    X