X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Figs for more than fruit: Your best looking fig tree?

I just transplanted one of my newer rootings of my favorite fig variety(Ronde De Bordeaux) to the front of my house in a large, partially sunken pot(so I can keep the roots contained each year). I love the look of the fruits and leaves. I'm curious who else is using fig trees for ornamental purposes as well as fruit? What's your best looking variety?

Looking forward to seeing people add to this as more trees wake up, nice thread!

Comment

I have an unknown Rimada that's my best looking tree. Following that I'd say CdD Roja.
      Alpine, Texas 4500ft elevation Zone 7
      http://growingfruit.org/

Comment

i dont have any that is beautiful but other locals with DK in ground with correct pruning sure makes me drool wishing i can have one in my front yard some day in far far away future.
        Please subscribe to my youtube channel all about figs and fruit trees thank you! https://www.youtube.com/c/kimtien

Comment

I love the look of well trained, mature trees in large containers (20+ gal). Like a big beautiful bonsai except it produces a ton of fruit in addition.

Comment

Tineke is my best looking fig tree (Ficus elastica variegata ‘tineke’
            Current grow list: LSU Purple, VDB, Panache, Yolo Bypass, UCD GR, Ben’s GR, Cuervo Oscuro, LdA, UCR 228-20
            Grow zone: 7a/b

Comment

I am doing my best not to plant any flowers in my front and back yard, trying to save sunny spaces for my beautiful fig trees !
              Keeping them pruned and shaped so that they fit nicely where they are for the season, something like this Little Miss
              Figgy and others 🙂
              Click image for larger version

Name:	20190726_100618.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	2.28 MB
ID:	697119
              Italian Honey, this picture is a few years back

Name:	20190727_162820.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	697120

Name:	20191005_232523.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	951.6 KB
ID:	697121

Name:	20190704_093541.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	4.00 MB
ID:	697122

Name:	20190621_190906.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	3.39 MB
ID:	697123
              Since I planted Black Madeira in SIP I am able to move it from place to place where ever is sunier
              Click image for larger version  Name:	20190717_193904.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.34 MB ID:	697086

​​​​​​​
              Last edited by moonlight; 01-20-2020, 01:12 AM.
              Looking for De La Gloria.Your best teacher is your last mistake !

Comment

• giants11596
                giants11596 commented
                Editing a comment
                Hi, your trees have great shape, did they start from cuttings?

• moonlight
                moonlight commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks for your comment giants11590, most of my fig trees I started from cutting.
                The images of Italian Honey, and Little Miss Figgy I bought as small trees, Col de Dame Blanc is an air layer off of my older CdDB mother tree, Yellow long neck was grafted in green fig root stalk from Paolo, I am guessing that the root stalk is Hardy Chicago os something very similar

Emalyn’s Purple shown in my profile picture. The leaves have long fingers that are serrated; so beautiful!!!
              Menifee, CA. Zone 9a. MotherofDragons on Fig Database/FigBid. WL: VdB, Burgan Unk.

Comment

If we talk about the beauty of the fruit, then the most beautiful for me are Violette de Sollies. The outlines of some of the figs have maximum tension and dramatic plastica. But I do not have this varieties.
                The leaves of your figs are very beautiful.
                Andrew

Comment

It’s early days for my trees yet, but I think the col de dames have a really beautiful leaf shape; looking forward to when they grow up. Click image for larger version

Name:	1CF4C31B-72C5-4FCC-8BA3-E10B3F7CFC44.jpeg
Views:	117
Size:	3.47 MB
ID:	697348
                  Mike, MA Zone 6b
                  wishlist: The skill to successfully grow all the sticks I’ve picked up!

Comment

I agree that the leaves of fig trees can be very beautiful, but if left to grow naturally they are surely one of the ugliest trees in all nature.

The branches grow in all direction, they intertwine, are fat and thin, easily gnarl, the trees have no shape at all.

But I love 'em
                    Don, Danmark

Comment

• dondan
                      dondan commented
                      Editing a comment
                      If you wanna be happy for the rest of your life
                      Never make a pretty woman your wife
                      So for my personal point of view
                      Get an ugly girl to marry you…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qh9ZZgDqzAg

• acerpictum
                      acerpictum commented
                      Editing a comment
                      In fig-tree type of branching is called sympodial; it very effectively captures all available volume and sunlight. Perhaps, in terms of evolution, figs are ahead of most woody plants. It feeds on sunlight, water and those elements on which fallen-disintegrate leaves fall. That is, he brings to the Earth much more food than he needs, and feeds those who can not create. No wonder in ancient times, people compared the milky juice of figs with breast milk of Juno, and figs - with the generative function of women.

Visitors always seem to like my Black Madeira. Started from a cutting in December, 2014. I need to do something about the UV burn, the upper parts of limbs are cooking, even in my mild climate.

Name:	IMG_5479.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	2.54 MB
ID:	697518
                    Gary USDA 9A
                    Sebastopol, CA

Comment

Working...
                    X