X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Green ischia vs UCD green ischia

Does anybody know the difference between the UCD green ischia vs a regular green ischia? I didn’t realize that there are two different strains. Which one is better??? Thank you in advance!!
    Starting Spring 2020: Northern FL, zone 9a!!!

I'm not sure if there is a difference, but I just read in another post from one of our veteran growers, (hopefully they'll chime in soon)...that UCD didn't and doesn't even have a program for producing fig varieties, only UCR, or University of CA at Riverside, all the plants grown at the UCD site are actually from the USDA. I'm rooting some green Ischia, but my source never specified where their tree came from.
    Tony. Pickens county, SC zone 7B
    WL: Azores Dark; Brooklyn White; Dominick; Florea; Golden Riverside; Napolitana; nothing I can't pronounce!

Comment

The UCD designation would normally just indicate that the variety came from the USDA program (land leased from UCD) that used to distribute cuttings to fig hobbyists on request. They stopped doing this a few years ago.

As for the original question, I would speculate that there is no difference between Green Ischia (UCD) and Green Ischia but don't know that for sure. On the other hand, there does seem to be multiple distinct varieties/strains under the name "Verte". Verte is sometimes used as a synonym for Green Ischia.
      Steve
      D-i-c-k-e-r-s-o-n, MD; zone 7a
      WL: Zaffiro, Verdolino, Figue Jaune, Nantes Maroc, Lussheim

Comment

Hmm, i was unaware of the two varieties aswell, all i know is mine came from a member here. Super good tho, one of my best figs.
        Attached Files
        Myfigs:https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...QMA/edit#gid=0. WL: I 258, violeta, RDB, Black Ischia, Raspberry Latte, Malta black, Figo Preto, Galacia Negra, Black Zadar. Spokane, Wa. Z6

Comment

• Kozachka
          Kozachka commented
          Editing a comment
          That looks amazingly delicious 🤤

• Otis
          Otis commented
          Editing a comment
          Yum, looking forward to some of that candy!

WillsC sells both of the Green ischias on his website, that’s how I found out about the two strains. I emailed him about it, waiting for a reply. Maybe he can clear it up for us here I was just wondering if anyone here grew both of them and which they like better

Comment

I would agree with Steve's comments on Green Ischia and Verte varieties. The "Green Ischia" has become a lumping category with a lot of green/red fig variants dumped into being called Green Ischia. I have "Green Ischia" trees, all from nurseries or forum members, that show three distinctively different leaf patterns between them.

If I wanted to make sure that I got the "true" recognized Green Ischia, then I would get the one that could be traced back to the UCD/NCGR/USDA program. They were the ones that did the genetic testing to document the true ID of the varieties.

Having said that, I personally just want a great tasting fig. All the ones that I have that I acquired as "Green Ischia" are all very good.

CliffH
          Texas (N. Houston area) - zone 8b
          Wish List: Rubado, Thermolito, Calderona, Cavaliere, GM-172, and GM-25

Comment

• CliffH
            CliffH commented
            Editing a comment
            Rewton - All of this is just my opinion. I have "Green Ischia" trees with 5 lobe leaves, and ones with tri and single lobed leaves. For me (and this is purely personal) I classify the 5 lobed leaved trees as Green Ishcia variants, and the single and tri lobed trees as Verte (like Strawberry Verte).

I have notice that Bat Green has larger fruit, and Rockaway Green has very different leaves (mine has not fruited yet).

It just seems hard as hell to tell one of the Green Ischia or Adriatic type fig another one. And almost impossible when looking at just the fig itself.

• Richard
            Richard commented
            Editing a comment
            The specimens labeled "Ischia Green" and "Verte" at Wolfskill (aka UCD) are genetically distinct by a long shot. Whether the fruits of those two trees are different or the same I won't discover until Fall.

• Rewton
            Rewton commented
            Editing a comment
            Richard, good to know. However, I think outside of the UCD context they names have gotten used in an interchangeable fashion, or at least that is what I have read previously on the forums.

CliffH all these varieties make my head spin 😆, plus the unknowns. I’m rooting Adriatic JH, perhaps I don’t need a green ischia if Adriatic is so similar. Thanks for the input!

Comment

• Garlic_Mike
            Garlic_Mike commented
            Editing a comment
            The JH Adriatic is far superior to Green Ishia, 6b, IMO. Adding another I would get Battaglia Green.

I will never be a fig connisour, even if I cared to. But I have learned worrying too much about fig variety names is a losing battle. Common plant names in general are archiaic. I will grow and fruit as many figs as I can and then stick with what I enjoy the most that will do well in my conditions without too much help from me.
          Tony. Pickens county, SC zone 7B
          WL: Azores Dark; Brooklyn White; Dominick; Florea; Golden Riverside; Napolitana; nothing I can't pronounce!

Comment

• Kozachka
            Kozachka commented
            Editing a comment
            I agree, that’s what I’m trying to do, find the best tasting once for my area, and most productive. There are just so many out there, I will never try them all

There are a couple members here that love Green Ischia from UCD. When I found out that was true, I decided to acquire Green Ischia (UCD). I made sure that I found a source (actually it was Wills) that has a tree descending from UCD to ensure that I had what they loved.
          Zone 7A - Philadelphia
          Flavor Profiles & Variety List / Facebook / YouTube / Blog

Comment

• Kozachka
            Kozachka commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks Ross, Have you tried the fruit yet? I ended up ordering the UCD green ischia cuttings from Wills just this morning, could not resist. If I keep going at this rate.....

• ross
            ross commented
            Editing a comment
            No. I actually got rid of it. As good as it may be, it's too late to serve my needs here long term.

Entering into the continuing dilemma of acquiring a near limitless number of varieties while refining ones tastes is a principal symptom of being a fig addict. 😊
          Johnson1
          Zone 9b
          S of Tampa Bay, FL

Comment

• Kozachka
            Kozachka commented
            Editing a comment
            I definitely have the symptom 🤦‍♀️

• Otis
            Otis commented
            Editing a comment
            Ain't it the Truth!

Originally posted by Kozachka View Post
          that’s what I’m trying to do, find the best tasting once for my area
          What is your area?
          Could you please add it to your signature?

Adding your approximate location to your profile is helpful to others. You'll find it in an obscure location:
          Drop down menu in the upper right under your user name >
          My Profile >
          Edit Settings >
          Drop down menu above Date of Birth, choose Account >
          Scroll down to Conversation Detail Options and click on Edit Post Signature
          ​​​​​​​🤓

Fruit crazed in Vista CA. http://tangentvectors.org

Comment

• Kozachka
            Kozachka commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you! Will do my current area is Pittsburgh PA 6b, but this spring we are moving to north FL 9a. I’m going to add my “new” area even though I’m not there yet, just because I’m collecting figs for that area...I’ll be there very very soon!

Ischia Green has a long known history. Around 1760 a collector named Miller obtained several fig cultivars from the island of Ischia, brought them to the Royal Horticultural Society in London, and infamously "supplied numbers, and later on some names". This group is where some of the Ischia-named cultivars originally were propagated from. Ischia Green itself then came to the U.S. by various means to Maryland, the "South", and to California in unknown order. Orchards were present in those U.S. locations and perhaps others by 1835. Then in 1894 the USDA (likely W.T. Swingle) imported scions of all 66 figs of the Royal HS fig collection to California, establishing the famous "Chiswick" collection -- distributed among 4 locations. A few of the sites had all 66. By about 1950 these were consolidated in Winters (Wolfskill), Fresno (Kearney Ag Center), and Riverside (UCR). Over time they -- the Chiswick's, all came to reside only at Winters. The latter is the source of the UCD label, even though the facility has been operated by the USDA (NCGR Davis) since about 1990.
          Last edited by Richard; 01-20-2020, 10:16 PM.
          Fruit crazed in Vista CA. http://tangentvectors.org

Comment

• Kozachka
            Kozachka commented
            Editing a comment
            Wow! Thank you for the wealth of information. I definitely did not know it’s history, very interesting. I got the UCD version this morning

Grow both.... Please report back on your results.
          Guildwood Village - Toronto, Canada - Zone 6

Comment

Working...
          X