X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rewton
    commented on 's reply
    Richard, good to know. However, I think outside of the UCD context they names have gotten used in an interchangeable fashion, or at least that is what I have read previously on the forums.

• Richard
    commented on 's reply
    The specimens labeled "Ischia Green" and "Verte" at Wolfskill (aka UCD) are genetically distinct by a long shot. Whether the fruits of those two trees are different or the same I won't discover until Fall.

• TorontoJoe
    replied
    Grow both.... Please report back on your results.

Leave a comment:

• Kozachka
    commented on 's reply
    Wow! Thank you for the wealth of information. I definitely did not know it’s history, very interesting. I got the UCD version this morning

• Richard
    replied
    Ischia Green has a long known history. Around 1760 a collector named Miller obtained several fig cultivars from the island of Ischia, brought them to the Royal Horticultural Society in London, and infamously "supplied numbers, and later on some names". This group is where some of the Ischia-named cultivars originally were propagated from. Ischia Green itself then came to the U.S. by various means to Maryland, the "South", and to California in unknown order. Orchards were present in those U.S. locations and perhaps others by 1835. Then in 1894 the USDA (likely W.T. Swingle) imported scions of all 66 figs of the Royal HS fig collection to California, establishing the famous "Chiswick" collection -- distributed among 4 locations. A few of the sites had all 66. By about 1950 these were consolidated in Winters (Wolfskill), Fresno (Kearney Ag Center), and Riverside (UCR). Over time they -- the Chiswick's, all came to reside only at Winters. The latter is the source of the UCD label, even though the facility has been operated by the USDA (NCGR Davis) since about 1990.
    Last edited by Richard; 01-20-2020, 10:16 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Otis
    commented on 's reply
    Ain't it the Truth!

• Kozachka
    commented on 's reply
    Thank you! Will do my current area is Pittsburgh PA 6b, but this spring we are moving to north FL 9a. I’m going to add my “new” area even though I’m not there yet, just because I’m collecting figs for that area...I’ll be there very very soon!

• Richard
    replied
    Originally posted by Kozachka View Post
    that’s what I’m trying to do, find the best tasting once for my area
    What is your area?
    Could you please add it to your signature?

Adding your approximate location to your profile is helpful to others. You'll find it in an obscure location:
    Drop down menu in the upper right under your user name >
    My Profile >
    Edit Settings >
    Drop down menu above Date of Birth, choose Account >
    Scroll down to Conversation Detail Options and click on Edit Post Signature
    ​​​​​​​🤓

Leave a comment:

• Kozachka
    commented on 's reply
    I definitely have the symptom 🤦‍♀️

• Garlic_Mike
    commented on 's reply
    The JH Adriatic is far superior to Green Ishia, 6b, IMO. Adding another I would get Battaglia Green.

• Johnson1
    replied
    Entering into the continuing dilemma of acquiring a near limitless number of varieties while refining ones tastes is a principal symptom of being a fig addict. 😊

Leave a comment:

• CliffH
    commented on 's reply
    Rewton - All of this is just my opinion. I have "Green Ischia" trees with 5 lobe leaves, and ones with tri and single lobed leaves. For me (and this is purely personal) I classify the 5 lobed leaved trees as Green Ishcia variants, and the single and tri lobed trees as Verte (like Strawberry Verte).

I have notice that Bat Green has larger fruit, and Rockaway Green has very different leaves (mine has not fruited yet).

It just seems hard as hell to tell one of the Green Ischia or Adriatic type fig another one. And almost impossible when looking at just the fig itself.

• ross
    commented on 's reply
    No. I actually got rid of it. As good as it may be, it's too late to serve my needs here long term.

• Rewton
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks for this explanation Cliff. I knew there was a reason I never collected Green Ischia or Verte but went with Adriatic JH, Battaglia Green, Rockaway Green etc. I was always confused by the naming of the Green Ischia/Verte figs and was not sure what the best source is.

• Kozachka
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks Ross, Have you tried the fruit yet? I ended up ordering the UCD green ischia cuttings from Wills just this morning, could not resist. If I keep going at this rate.....

• ross
    replied
    There are a couple members here that love Green Ischia from UCD. When I found out that was true, I decided to acquire Green Ischia (UCD). I made sure that I found a source (actually it was Wills) that has a tree descending from UCD to ensure that I had what they loved.

Leave a comment:

• Kozachka
    commented on 's reply
    I agree, that’s what I’m trying to do, find the best tasting once for my area, and most productive. There are just so many out there, I will never try them all

• Otis
    replied
    I will never be a fig connisour, even if I cared to. But I have learned worrying too much about fig variety names is a losing battle. Common plant names in general are archiaic. I will grow and fruit as many figs as I can and then stick with what I enjoy the most that will do well in my conditions without too much help from me.

Leave a comment:

• Otis
    commented on 's reply
    Yum, looking forward to some of that candy!

• Kozachka
    replied
    CliffH all these varieties make my head spin 😆, plus the unknowns. I’m rooting Adriatic JH, perhaps I don’t need a green ischia if Adriatic is so similar. Thanks for the input!

Leave a comment:

• CliffH
    commented on 's reply
    For the most part, you could not tell them apart once they are off the tree. I can't....

I also do a lot of lumping of figs in this category. For example, I lump Adriatic JH into the general Green Ischia type figs. It is a found Green Ischia type unknown that was given its own name.

I do have a favorite of my trees of this type. But also remember that the quality of figs can change from year to year. Even on the same tree.

And before some one asks; my favorite is a miss-labeled unknown "Green Ischia type" from from a local nursery. It was labeled Alma from the wholesale grower.

• Kozachka
    commented on 's reply
    That makes sense, thanks! I’m just wondering if all the great reviews are on the same fig or people are reviewing different figs without realizing it 😆. Would you say that your green ischias from different sources all taste fairly similar to each other? Or like different figs?

• CliffH
    replied
    I would agree with Steve's comments on Green Ischia and Verte varieties. The "Green Ischia" has become a lumping category with a lot of green/red fig variants dumped into being called Green Ischia. I have "Green Ischia" trees, all from nurseries or forum members, that show three distinctively different leaf patterns between them.

If I wanted to make sure that I got the "true" recognized Green Ischia, then I would get the one that could be traced back to the UCD/NCGR/USDA program. They were the ones that did the genetic testing to document the true ID of the varieties.

Having said that, I personally just want a great tasting fig. All the ones that I have that I acquired as "Green Ischia" are all very good.

CliffH

Leave a comment:

• Kozachka
    replied
    WillsC sells both of the Green ischias on his website, that’s how I found out about the two strains. I emailed him about it, waiting for a reply. Maybe he can clear it up for us here I was just wondering if anyone here grew both of them and which they like better

Leave a comment:

• Kozachka
    commented on 's reply
    That looks amazingly delicious 🤤
Working...
X