X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I keep chickens and cats out of my yard?

There's a family of homeless chickens and cats in my area. They like to go in my raised garden beds and planters and dig the soil looking for worms and make a mess to the surrounding area. I just planted some strawberries, after the chickens dug the area, some of the strawberries were thrown out. How do I keep them away? Everything is in my front yard so I can't do anything unsightly like cage the area in or use nets.
    San Jose CA, Zone 9b
    Wish list: CC, CLBC, MIB, Burgan UNK, Cali Candy, Brandon St Unk, Sangue Dolce, Calderona, Martinenca Rimada, Campaniere, Thermalito

Chickens are almost impossible to keep them out of your yard. My chickens use to be in my yard. They foraged for bugs and in the process the ripped out plants and toss out any mulch that I had put down. I know that you don't want to fence off your property but that is what I did and now they stay in the fenced area. If the chickens are truly homeless and you don't want them then catch them and give them to a farm. Problem solved! If you don't then I'm sure that things won't change. Your property is probably a good source of food for them so "They'll be back!"
    Wishlist; Green Michurinska, St. Rita
    Tony
    Sarver, PA Zone 6A.

Comment

Coyotes work well here...
      N. GA 7B
      UPDATED! Wish list: CDD Mutante, BFF, SE tolerant stone fruit, blackberries...

Comment

• RocketSkates
        RocketSkates commented
        Editing a comment
        I was going to suggest getting a dog (/borrow a friend’s dog? Maybe after one good chase they’ll stay away for good?)

Shotgun and BBQ grill for the chickens.
      Zone 7a - Dover, DE Wishlist: ALL OF THE FIGS!
      Seriously : LdA, CLBC, CC, all CdD, All LSU, Black Ischia

Comment

• Nomnoms
        Nomnoms commented
        Editing a comment
        I have tempted to do that so many times! But those suckers are fast

If they’re causing property damage, isn’t there some animal control office you can call?

Comment

The only thing you can do is trap the animals and move them elsewhere.
        Kathleen, GA/ borderline of 8a/8b Wishlist: Strawberry, Strawberry Vert, Cavaliere, Smith, Colonel Littman's Black Cross, Raspberry Latte

Comment

Eat the chickens
          Actively seeking any and all varieties
          #Sharing is caring
          Courtenay, BC 🇨🇦 zone 8a

Comment

• Lucrative
            Lucrative commented
            Editing a comment
            ...and donate the cats to a local Chinese food restaurant, haha

My neighbor's chickens used to visit our yard on a regular basis, but my garden beds are fenced in so all they could do was patrol the perimeter. The free range neighborhood cats could still squeeze in under the fence, but once I stopped using fish fertilizers they thankfully lost interest.

Easiest is to find a way to attractively fence in your growing area, otherwise you'll need to find a way to remove the animals. Contact animal control and ask for suggestions on dealing with feral cats and chickens and see if they have any suggestions.
          “The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now.”
          – Chinese Proverb
          MA 5b/6a

Comment

easy as pie.simply have a nice active DOG in your yard. They chase cats and kill chickens!

But here we love to eat chicken, a pellet gun fired out the window will bag any chick within 100 feet! Even tough old roosters make great soup. Less people you get involved better off you will be. Here animal control when I called about rabid fox in yard said over the phone" You Got a Gun, Don't You, and a Shovel? " well use it and don't keep bothering US! Gobmint' work!
            Z8A NC SANDHILLS

WISH LIST BURGAN UNK, ZAFFIRO,

Comment

I would have thought a self respecting cat would have taken care of the chicken pop. A dog or a dog recording may be worth a try after the cats are full and slow moving?
              Tony. Pickens county, SC zone 7B
              WL: Azores Dark; Brooklyn White; Dominick; Florea; Golden Riverside; Napolitana; nothing I can't pronounce!

Comment

Dog.
                Volcano, 7a VA

Comment

Get your own cat Who will not likely make friends with the neighbors cat, or call your local animal control to have them removed. They are a nuisance. A dog will work and create its own variety of problems; of course cats could too, but less so I think than dogs. I plan to get an outdoor cat this year to help with gophers, squirrels, mice, rats, etc.
                  Menifee, CA. Zone 9a. MotherofDragons on Fig Database/FigBid. WL: VdB, Burgan Unk.

Comment

Maybe a motion detecting sprinkler head? They have them on Amazon.
                    Deep in the heart of Texas
                    zone 8b

Comment

Infrastructure. Build yourself some nice, neat, 1" square wire mesh fencing around the planter bed. 36" high should discourage both the chickens and the cats. I'd use "U" posts for support.
                      https://fencerwire.com/
                      Fruit crazed in Vista CA. http://tangentvectors.org

Comment

I’ve seen landscape companies with low hard wire tunnels (12” high) on planter beds with high deer populations. Not sure if homemade or purchased. Nearly invisible
                        Millersville Maryland
                        zone 7b

Comment

Find out if anyone near you is having a fox problem; if so, ask them to trap them and release them onto your property.
                          -Carl
                          Marlton, NJ (Zone 6b/7a)

Comment

If the chickens are truly homeless, give them a home. Put them in a chicken tractor and enjoy the eggs.
                            "gene"
                            Zone 9 Houma LA in the bayou land.

Comment

Working...
                            X