X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Addendum,ReinforcingPaper DE Rooting Containers

Paper rooting containers having been fabricated early evaluations indicate that some paper types benefit fro having a COTTON(be sure) sewing thread tied at bottom and wrapped spiral around entire paper container wraps spaced half inch and tied off/taped at top and bottom with maslkng tape while container is full of dry DE before dunking into water to getready for cutting. also, to secure edge of paper: staples,yes. but a dropof super glue on edge of paper every one inch and dried stabilized, enhances integrity. My callused Bursa cutting now resides in it's new paper home lookin'good.
    I also had some used USPS small flat rate boxes folks sent me cuttings etc in. I reinforced the closed sides and bottoms with little dabs superglue and masking tape, cut drain holes in bottom on sides cut hole in top end, filled with dry pure DE. soaked all in quarter strength MG and planted another callused Bursa cutting.Box stands on one small end, cutting inserted in hole made in top small end. These would easily go into a shallow tote up and against one another allowing many in a 24 inch long shallow tote.when plant is growing well could plant biodegradable box and all in the yard or in uppot of whatever mix.
    Z8A NC SANDHILLS

WISH LIST BURGAN UNK, ZAFFIRO,

Staying tuned. Rooting with DE, from my experience is easy peasy. It's the up-pot that is problematic.
    Last edited by machonachos; 01-20-2020, 05:03 PM.
    Zone 10b, Southern California

Comment

• Foodtreefield
      Foodtreefield commented
      Editing a comment
      I am scratching my head trying to think of a additive that will keep the medium from falling apart during the up-potting process

• YATAMA
      YATAMA commented
      Editing a comment
      Answer is have media and rooted cutting in a moderately rapidly biodegradable container and do not remove rooted cutting to uppot.Instead plant biodegradable container and contents in the uppot medium .Least traumatic method conceivable. Current experiment here is determining best easily acquired biodegradable material for the container. some sort of paper or other fiber material seems most likely

Absolutely Sr. Macho Thats what this biodegradable DE rooting container experiment is all about. may be answer, may not. I encourage everyone else to look for even better methods.
    Z8A NC SANDHILLS

Comment

What if you used biodegradable paper but then slipped the nylon ( pantyhose) over the fig pop during the rooting stage in order to keep everything intact?
      Then remove the nylon right before up potting, allowing the paper to dissolve into the potting mix?
      Piney Point Village, Zone 8b

Comment

• YATAMA
        YATAMA commented
        Editing a comment
        Belle, Trust a lady to understand how nylons can work wonders! Sadly, unlike the trendy boys in the news all the time I simply do not keep a supply of pantyhose in my closet for ANY purpose! But if I spy any at the dumpster again will sure snag them.OOPS thats bad term when speaking of hose ain't it?

• Bellefleurs
        Bellefleurs commented
        Editing a comment
        πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

• 2AngelsMushrooms
        2AngelsMushrooms commented
        Editing a comment
        Bahahaha!

Yatama they sell a paper pot maker. Kinda stamps the pot out. U could also try peat pots or cow pots I believe they hold up better to moisture but still won't inhibit root growth. Also available are small biodegradable fabric pots or pouches material is similar to a cheap weed fabric and they are very cheap. Good luck
      JLB zone 8b south Mississippi. Wish list really good figs thay don't split with all this dang humidity

Comment

How bout some pics of these experiments when you get a chance
        Tony. Pickens county, SC zone 7b
        WL: Angelo's Dark; Atreano; Azores Dark; Brooklyn White; Dominick; Florea; Golden Riverside; LSU Early Improved Celeste; some Maltese or Italians; Napolitana:

Comment

well in answer to above,you all saw my pantyhose rooting bags. If I can get help with posting photos again, maybe when biodegradable paper ones have an actual tree inside can get some posted for you to peruse. likely be few months
          Z8A NC SANDHILLS

Comment

If you've done it "right" with DE and don't hold back on water and wait long enough to up-pot (at least 3-4,weeks after roots first appear), just let the DE fall away from the roots when you up pot. You should have a well calloused cutting and firmly attached, well lignified roots that resist breaking and shearing off.

Only time I had a failure was when I let the DE dry out too much for too long before up-potting. Others have had issues because they up-potted to soon and callousing was incomplete.
            β€œThe best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now.”
            – Chinese Proverb
            MA 5b/6a

Comment

• BrandonP
              BrandonP commented
              Editing a comment
              Agree. I'm not sure I've had a failure in DE yet when I up-potted after giving sufficient time....except if the cutting started to rot below the roots while in DE. Not sure how this happens in DE, but I've seen it now 3 times (all pre-washed with bleach too). The first, I did not cut off the rotted portion at up-pot and the cutting died. The latest two I cut off the rotted portion up to the root level and the cuttings have continue to thrive post up-pot (though it has only been 9 days since up-potting so still holding my breath).

• ginamcd
              ginamcd commented
              Editing a comment
              Are you trimming off the excess wood below the bottom node? I know there have been recent questions about whether this is necessary and some are experimenting with leaving it. To me it just seems like the extra wood is sitting there waiting to start rotting while the node further above goes through the process of trying to set roots.

I've always followed the advice to trim cuttings to within 1/4" below the bottom node and have always had good callousing and roots growing out all the way around the bottom node.

well seems to me if a cutting rots in DE Ginas discussion of excess wood beow bottom node may well be a major factor.Also I suspect some users of SE may not get the optisorb largest particle size DE or even if they do fail to absolutely thoroughly wash out all races of the claylike fine particles that will make the runse water look murky. Here I found about10% of my bag d optisorbDE consisted of basically dirt like pulverized DE that woud have clogged up my rooting containers of the DE if I had not triple wshed the DE in a wheelbarrow of water and then screen out the small particles and sludge with a screen kitchen collander..

also in rspectt o my paper DE rooting containers as wet paper is rather flimsy I will be putting a sleeveof the stretchy medical netting made of cotton pver such paper containers tostabilize them and permit hem being handled without damage, The netting will decompose as well and has openings a least half inch so offer no impediment to roots.I believe dunking DE rootg bag contaners that are not made of plastic with only drain hoes in bottom are best dunked totally under water daily toprevent unexpected dryness in the center of the DE.With a perfectly draining rooting bag this seems to be best way to assure cuttings stay adequately watered. the medical neti mention is relatively inexpensive on amazon or ebay
            Z8A NC SANDHILLS

Comment

Working...
            X