X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think i got scammed

I bid on some cuttings at figbid and i won the auction. It has been a few weeks now and I still didnt recieve the cuttings
    I went on figbid tonight and seller has disappered. Took my money and made me pay the extra shipping, because i live in Canada.
    They go by the name of ynz84. Does anyone know of this person? I dont want my money back, I just want to make a point, and hopefully nobody else falls into this scam.
    Last edited by Vinny63; 01-21-2020, 08:51 PM.

Just maybe someone at the border might have your plants. It is a gamble ordering state side
    Actively seeking any and all varieties
    #Sharing is caring
    Courtenay, BC πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦ zone 8a

Comment

These are not plants. Customs does not consider cuttings as plants. The Customs officer that I spoke to has told me that I am allowed to Import and Export cuttings. Also for plants I would need a special permit.

Comment

• BC BYRON
        BC BYRON commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes you can import cuttings but you need phytosanitary certificate and that will run you a chunk of change

• alawren8
        alawren8 commented
        Editing a comment
        As far as I could tell online, to import cuttings to Canada from the US you still need a phytosanitary certificate but not an import permit:
        https://www.inspection.gc.ca/plant-h...23753612811#d3
        Section 4.3.

Edit: took me too long to find the page, sorry not trying to belabour the point

• angelad
        angelad commented
        Editing a comment
        alawren8 You are correct. I was mistaken. The letter only indicated that the person needed a phytosanitary certificate.

Did you get a tracking number? If yes, did you track the package? As Byron pointed out, it is possible that it was sent and Canadian customs returned the package to sender.
      Angela - Southwestern Ontario - zone 6a

Comment

nycfig
        Zone 7A - Philadelphia
        Flavor Profiles & Variety List / Facebook / YouTube / Blog

Comment

I did not get a tracking number. But it is strange how all of a sudden the seller disappears and doesn't even have a profile on fig bids anymore

Comment

• angelad
            angelad commented
            Editing a comment
            You should have received a tracking number. I think you are right that you were scammed.

• Richard
            Richard commented
            Editing a comment
            I believe sellers only have a "profile" when they have active listings. For example, strudeldog is a respected seller on FigBid but as of this post has no offerings and thus no "profile":
            https://www.figbid.com/Listing/Browse?Seller=strudeldog

you can message admin of figbid regarding issue. he is great!
          Please subscribe to my youtube channel all about figs and fruit trees thank you! https://www.youtube.com/c/kimtien

Comment

What protections are afforded by PayPal? You might also contact your credit card company to dispute the charge.
            Marlton, NJ (Zone 6b/7a)

Comment

If the guy disappeared it seems nefarious.

Make a claim through PayPal for an undelivered item. They will look into it and refund your money in about a week.

If you let him get away with it you encourage him.

Comment

I will contact PayPal tomorrow thank you for all your help

Comment

Originally posted by Vinny63 View Post
                  I think i got scammed
                  Any FigBid issues should be reported on their page:
                  https://www.figbid.com/Contact

Legal shipments of cuttings sold in the U.S. and shipped to a customer in Canada require the seller to provide:
                  1. valid nursery stock certificate
                  2. various agricultural compliance agreements depending on their state
                  3. a phytosanitary inspection and certificate, obtained through the PCIT process: https://www.figbid.com/Contact . The cost (per shipment) at my location for this is $107.
                  Fruit crazed in Vista CA. http://tangentvectors.org

Comment

Have the transaction details ready when you call PayPal. Explain how long ago the seller was paid, that you have received neither the tracking number nor the item. That you have been unable to contact the seller and you would like a refund.

Dialogue starts with 'I have a problem and I need your help'.

I would also contact FigBid admin and give them a heads up on the issue.

Johnson1
                    Zone 9b
                    S of Tampa Bay, FL

Comment

ynz84 Looks like they are/were a member here.

I hope You're able to get your money back through PayPal, and maybe Danny can shed some light on what happened with their Figbid account.
                      β€œThe best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now.”
                      – Chinese Proverb
                      MA 5b/6a

Comment

• Noah Mercy
                        Noah Mercy commented
                        Editing a comment
                        How are ""surprise" cuttings collected on a recent trip to Tunisia and Libya" going to get all of those documents Richard is talking about? And if the certificate is $107, how much was this auction for? Is that $107 PER CUTTING Richard or per Package/shipment or what? The whole thing sounds very sketchy at this point, IMO...

• Richard
                        Richard commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Noah Mercy -
                        1. The requirements for legally importing cuttings out of Tunisia and into the U.S. are different than exporting from San Diego county to Canada.
                        2. The inspection cost in San Diego county for sending fig cuttings to Canada is $107 per shipment.

• Noah Mercy
                        Noah Mercy commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Thanks for the clarification Richard

Shady, low down people that need a buck are always trying to scam folks. If they don't reference a name in their ad on Figbid to a known forum, then I'd pass even for a $5 cutting. Ebay is loaded with them.

Comment

• Richard
                        Richard commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I don't think there's any reason to assume the seller is bad until all the facts are in.

Hey Vinny what varieties did you want or win?
                      Iowa Z5

Comment

The guy made 20 purchases since he/she joined, would be interesting to hear from other sellers if they had any issues. I also recommend to follow the process and report it to figbid like others suggested, life happens and you never know what are the circumstances here, possibly shipped but were stopped at border, so I recommend contacting paypal too, as in my opinion its sellers responsiblity to provide the needed paper work for international transaction.
                        MJ
                        Chicago Zone 5a/5b

Comment

• Noah Mercy
                          Noah Mercy commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I would say it is each person's responsibility to know and follow the laws of their respective jurisdictions. As long as the seller provides tracking and it's legal to export, the import part is on the buyer. That's the way it works legally - and the way it should. Why should I, as an American (US citizen) be bound by laws passed in Neveristan? I have no say in those laws and never even implicitly agreed to abide by them. Even if they claim sovereignty over me, at what point did I secede that authority? When I drop the package in the mail? I think not. I don't see how such a theory can be reconciled with the notion of a social compact. I have no way of knowing what laws they may have passed or when. I'll worry about their laws when I am in their jurisdiction and not before - they have no power over me nor should they. Besides the moral issues, it isn't very practical to think anyone could keep up with all of the laws in every jurisdiction, just the State, Federal and Local laws in the USA alone would be impossible.
                          Last edited by Noah Mercy; 01-21-2020, 10:16 AM.

Never know about anything. A few things i do when buying on Fig-bid is, check to see how many transactions they have had. Then see if they are a member here ( just always curious) and, if a member here, look to see how long and how active they are. The one your talking about was a New member AND only three post total. IMO, not reliable. ALSO, I would imagine high 90 percent of us here have been taken one way or the other. Me, on Ebay when i was new to this.
                        Rossville,Ga.
                        Wishlist Cravens Craven

Comment

• Noah Mercy
                          Noah Mercy commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Good advice!

Maybe we can help. What were the varieties?

Comment

There may be a time where a pitchfork mob is warranted, however for now perhaps just let nycfig look into the matter. It wouldn't be the first time something went wrong despite legitimate intentions.... Weather this was foul play or not, you can rest assured that Danny will get to the bottom of it... That's why you went to FigBid.

As for importing or exporting...... I strongly recommend you do things legally... and also deal with those matters off of the open forum.... This is not the venue for advice on legal matters.

Guildwood Village - Toronto, Canada - Zone 6

Comment

• Richard
                            Richard commented
                            Editing a comment
                            "pitchfork mob" πŸ˜‚πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ ...
                            an apt description though.

• BackwoodsSouthernLawyer
                            BackwoodsSouthernLawyer commented
                            Editing a comment
                            How about a mob of angry lawyers with pitchforks? I can make a call... ;-)

• TorontoJoe
                            TorontoJoe commented
                            Editing a comment
                            We can't afford the retainer

Its all good thanks Brian. I have enough cuttings to last me a long time.
                          I just dont want this person to scam others.BTW your cutting all look amazing. Thanks again

Comment

• Richard
                            Richard commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I don't think there's any reason to assume the seller is bad until all the facts are in.

I will wait a few more weeks before I assume that things went bad but it has been a month already.

Comment

• Richard
                            Richard commented
                            Editing a comment
                            " It has been a few weeks now"

"it has been a month already"

ok.

Your right, This is not the place to deal with my issue,> I will remove the post and let Danny deal with this... Thanks again to all that have commented... Vince

Comment

• TorontoJoe
                            TorontoJoe commented
                            Editing a comment
                            You don't need to remove a thing.... and I'm not censoring you... you can write whatever you like here.... I've been here a while and am just trying to help.

IMO you should call out wrong doing.... I just don;t want to see you unwillingly harm yourself... and, perhaps take a breath and figure out what happened with your figbid deal with Danny's help

• Noah Mercy
                            Noah Mercy commented
                            Editing a comment
                            You have the right instinct, to warn others... and I think you're right - I smell a rat. I agree, there's more to be done (Danny, paypal, etc) to give this guy every chance and benefit of the doubt. But either way, your post is a warning to others to be cautious and VET your SELLER!

Richard - I have no problem with calling out the scum.... . When it's warranted.... but I believe getting the facts first.... otherwise.... You now...

Guildwood Village - Toronto, Canada - Zone 6

Comment

Was working on starting cuttings last night when this was posted. Looking into the issue right now and I'll post update here. Thank you for tagging me.
                            Danny; NYC Z7b

List safe. Bid safe. figBid.com

Comment

Am sure Danny will perform his usual due diligence. If it istrue what you said and I read here you got following problems:
                              No certificates(if true are legally needed to import cuttings from US to Canada) the sale was illegal in eyes of your Gov and may have been seized by Canada like others in USA had happen here by OUR government if they tried to import similarly .

The "package"you said contained plant material imported from middle eastern countries into USA by your seller who was passing some on to you. If the seller imported these in this century(21) such was a violation of current US law which bans such actions for all fig material by anyone. so could theoretically have been seized by USG, or possibly by Canada in collaboration

That you did not get tracking number suggests you were dealing with a non user friendly seller.When I even bought cuttings for five bucks the nice sellers always sent me a tracking number

when I have sent packages of engineering equipment by USmail to other countries the USPS has required me to fillout a customs declaration form they attach to package that must specify the contents I am sending. If he wroteFIG TREE CUTTINGS, and the forum member Richard is correct above, it is possible some sharp eyed Canadian officer read that and trashed your package.

Most of us here have also been disappointed with results of at least one attempt to acquire cuttings and are sympathetic with you. At least here my credit card company refunds money taken by non performing sellers.
                              Z8A NC SANDHILLS

WISH LIST BURGAN UNK, ZAFFIRO,

Comment

Working...
                              X