X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Regardless of what happens with this case, a key take away is if you are outside the US and considering purchasing from sellers inside the US and they haven't specified "no international shipping," always ask if they have the paperwork needed to legally ship to you before you buy.

Given that this seller has posted here about bringing back cuttings from other countries then completed a sales transaction with someone in Canada, tells me they are completely unaware of the import laws.

Vinny63 in the trading section of the forum there is a sticky thread specifically for Canadian members. I would start your search for cuttings and plant there. Good luck!
    “The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now.”
    – Chinese Proverb
    MA 5b/6a

Comment

• Noah Mercy
      Noah Mercy commented
      Editing a comment
      More Good Advice!

Caveat emptor - There's a reason it's a thing.
    South Arkansas - Zone 7b/8a - have Brown Turkey + 1 black madeira.

Comment

seller is unaware OR consciously violating.Anyone who reads the posts here KNOWS the law as . Richard sees to that! Hes always writing about it.as do others.Personally may not like them all but I'm not some sort of well connected guy who can get away with anything like we see others do time to time.
      Z8A NC SANDHILLS

WISH LIST BURGAN UNK, ZAFFIRO,

Comment

Initial investigation reveals user may not be a scammer but very sloppy. I will deal with buyer privately from here to conclusion. Digging a little deeper and enough evidence presented to keep this thread active and updated. Please do not derail. Few things to consider so far:

1. Please refrain from going public on social media or open forum. I understand the temptation is strong but figBid is always there to help and social media always compounds an issue. This is to protect you and not me or figBid. You are free to contact me at figBid with all caps, #*!?%@ curse words and everything. I need to have the first shot at it and I'm happy to hear it all. But when the time arises where posting may be a must (that's right, I said may be a must), please spell figBid correctly. Not being pompous. Only want future figBidders to find all posts, good, bad, and indifferent.

2. Canadian buyers; you MUST have paperwork to ensure your shipment of plant material arrives timely and safely. There are no exceptions. The site is open to our Canadian brothers and sisters because there are figBid sellers that will properly prepare shipments for you. Additionally, there are other figBid items that are okay to ship. Always check with the seller before bidding or buying. I wish it were different.

3. Good sellers automatically provide tracking to their customers and will insure their shipments. Good customers will always ask their seller for tracking info when it is not provided in a timely fashion. This goes for figBid or any other retail or auction website.

4. Right now there are no profiles for figBid users. A near-future update will change this and all users will have a neat little profile. It's an exciting change so I won't add any more.

5. Please don't assume any material has been imported illegally. Even when someone writes, "6 SURPRISE Cuttings from my recent trip to Tunisia and Libya" in the context of an active listing for fig material you can't assume they're actually referencing fig material. The seller could be giving away newspaper cuttings or pictures of fig cuttings. They are a surprise, aren't they? I'm fooling around but this is a clear RED FLAG. Not only should you not buy but every set of eyes on such a statement should be looking to slam nearest the CONTACT US link to let me know there may be an uneducated seller. I'd be happy to educate them.

There are a few other red flags with this transaction but I want to have the buyers permission before revealing. Whatever the outcome it's important to me that readers understand how to protect themselves. I'll post further as it's available. Thank you to everyone helping out.
        Danny; NYC Z7b

List safe. Bid safe. figBid.com

Comment

• YATAMA
          YATAMA commented
          Editing a comment
          sorry Danny but if I see a listing and seller writes"cuttings from my recent trip to Afghanistan, etc." anyone who assumes the guy;s describing the cuttings he's including in the shipment are NEWSPAPER or HAIR clippings needs a shrink! and anyone who does NOT assume the 'cuttngs from xxx" are not illegal imports and receives same sets himself up for a visit from the FEDS, which some here say is not a nice day. You should not be forced into being a cop by stupid or nefarious sellers. I bet your "day job" is work enough! For the ignorant wannabee sellers maybe you need to post in all caps that any plant material imported in this century from other countries without a USG issued permit they can display to you before the listing gets published will be under potential penalty of civil action as it might be construed you aided an illegal activity should you publish such a sale offer and you must defend yourself..I hate saying the last but look what goes on every day in our fair land..

Open case successfully concluded early this morning. This was a simple error by the OP and not the seller. There was no fraud and there are no scammers involved. OP is welcome to add more. Case closed.
        Danny; NYC Z7b

Comment

For the sake of readers I want to add a few buying tips here. These did not occur in this case but something to be aware of:
          1. Don't ever agree to pay a seller by any means other than specifically stated in the Payment Options/Instructions of the listing. Even if you've already won the listing. It should be an automatic notification to figBid admin.
          2. Please pick up on bad guy cues. If a sellers' name is different than PayPal name, at least ask the seller why. A good seller will respect your inquiry and gladly explain.
          3. A seller explaining they're selling material they've just purchased should at least put up an antenna. It's not necessarily a red flag but coupled with other findings, it may be enough evidence to not bid or buy.
          4. If you're ever not sure about something, or it just looks fishy, please contact figBid admin. I'll always get to the bottom of it.
          Thanks to everyone who participated here.

There are 6 squares left in the figBid Super Bowl Squares pool. If you've been holding off, now is the time to get in. Over $1000 in prizes!

https://www.figbid.com/Listing/Detai...000-in-Prizes-

Happy Figs!
          Last edited by nycfig; 01-22-2020, 12:30 PM. Reason: Edited for grammar.
          Danny; NYC Z7b

Comment

Originally posted by nycfig View Post
            Open case successfully concluded early this morning. This was a simple error by the OP and not the seller. There was no fraud and there are no scammers involved. OP is welcome to add more. Case closed.
            Thanks Danny.

Comment

Working...
            X