X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Efficient way to wring water out of coir/peat

You will need a resuable shopping bag. It has to be of a particular material though for water to seep through. See upclose pics. Lastly, a mop wringer.

Three to four pull of the lever will get almost all the water out, and the coir will be in a perfect moist condition.

Attached Files
    Sacramento, CA 9B
    WL: More space for fig trees!

Neat trick. Best trick I found is only add 80% of the recommended water on the coir package its usually the right amount. Much easier to add than take away.
    Last edited by Kevin912; 01-21-2020, 06:51 AM.
    Savannah Ga zone 8b

Comment

Salad Spinner!
      Zone 7a - Dover, DE Wishlist: ALL OF THE FIGS!
      Seriously : LdA, CLBC, CC, all CdD, All LSU, Black Ischia

Comment

This is a good idea but I also like to add just the right level of moisture and stop so as to prevent the need to get rid of water. With sp. moss I just spray the dry moss with a squirt bottle, mix, spray a bit more, mix, and so on until the moisture level seems right. That is how I would approach using coir and peat as well.
        Steve
        D-i-c-k-e-r-s-o-n, MD; zone 7a
        WL: Zaffiro, Verdolino, Figue Jaune, Nantes Maroc, Lussheim

Comment

• blaze
          blaze commented
          Editing a comment
          I buy coir in blocks because its cheap and easy to manage. I put it in a utility sink and run water in sprinkle mode over it for a while and then mix the wetter stuff with the drier that/s loosened from the block until its about right. Also can let it sit and drain overnight with a toss or two to expose more to air if not in a hurry.

Another coir tip is to hydrate it with a diluted fertilizer like miracle grow or Jack's original. When rooting I seldom have to rewater the cuttings before up potting so a little fertilizer gives them a boost.
        Savannah Ga zone 8b

Comment

Any1 tie the bag together and do spin cycle in washing machine. This could work well also.😁👍
          Myfigs:https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...QMA/edit#gid=0. WL: I 258, violeta, RDB, Black Ischia, Raspberry Latte, Malta black, Figo Preto, Galacia Negra, Black Zadar. Spokane, Wa. Z6

Comment

• Lp936
            Lp936 commented
            Editing a comment
            Too risky. Loose coir won't drain, or clog drain pipe. And if the bag ripped, then you just give yourself a lot of extra cleaning work
        Working...
        X