• Show
Clear All

• nickawwad
    commented on 's reply
    Andy sends excellent cuttings. He has MBVS for sale the cheapest i've seen

https://www.ourfigs.com/forum/figs-h...tings-for-sale

• nickawwad
    commented on 's reply
    sure. in 2016, Frank cited MBVS as his #1 for taste, productivity and reliability. MBVS seems like a common winner everywhere including Socal. I think its great. That should be on your list, IMO

• Kozachka
    commented on 's reply
    JustinGrowsFigs fantastic!! Good to hear that it’s possible! I’m definitely going to try it, thank you for bringing my hopes up

• JustinGrowsFigs
    commented on 's reply
    I would say try BM for yourself, your microclimate might be just right to get enough that its worth it, or at least different enough from Tampa. I'm in SW Brevard and I'm giving it a go. I'm up on top of a nice hill and get great drainage. Plus Florida does go through drought quite a bit...

• Kozachka
    commented on 's reply
    m5allen thank you for confirming...so sad, I was really looking forward to this one

• m5allen
    commented on 's reply
    I am in Tampa, FL - unfortunately, Black Madeira is no good for me. It just splits too much with the humidity and rain - my plant is in-ground. I don't believe this fig will ever live up to its true potential in my climate.

• Kozachka
    commented on 's reply
    Thank you Techno101 😌. I’m hoping to get a good harvest from my two year old trees next season. I did get a VbB from gardencrochet a couple weeks ago because I read that it does well in the south! I should probably stop with the cuttings, I already got way more than planned 😆 I can not imagine how much space they will take once they get bigger...

• Techno101
    replied
    You got a Champagne, it’ll do well in the south, and it’s a excellent honey fig. The Smith is complex berry tones, and another strong southern grower. Your mega Celeste “should” be a sugar fig. The plain ole Celeste is indestructible and is very sweet. Not much depth of taste but it’s a sugar bomb for sure. VdB pretty much does well everywhere is it’s really good starting out too

Leave a comment:

• Kozachka
    commented on 's reply
    TheMillennialGardener I know that other members grow black Madeira in FL, I wonder how it does for them

• Kozachka
    commented on 's reply
    I’m not sure what I’m into yet, as I only tasted a few tree ripe figs, and I don’t count the store bought. Plus the once I’ve tasted were mostly from 1 year old trees

• Techno101
    replied
    I’ll second the MBvs, it’s great. Try yourself an LSU Purple if you’re into sugar figs. It’s a super grower and makes good rootstock

Leave a comment:

• TheMillennialGardener
    commented on 's reply
    Kozachka I'm happy to help where I can. Thanks for watching my channel. I, too, hope BM gets better as it ages. Out of the 50-100 figs it set, half didn't get a chance to ripen and all but maybe 2-3 exploded. It was a real challenge. From seeing other BM's, it seems the problems correct some as it ages, but I never expect it to be a great performer in our humid climates.

• Kozachka
    commented on 's reply
    Thank you! I love your YouTube channel by the way, I knew that the weather there is similar, so your experience is very valuable for me!! I will be looking into these varieties, some of which I have. I really hope that the splitting will resolve as the trees mature, as I also have a black Madeira that I can’t wait to try...

• Kozachka
    commented on 's reply
    From all the YouTube videos I’ve watched, I haven’t found Frank! Thank you so much for pointing me this way!!!!

• TheMillennialGardener
    replied
    I live on the Southeast coast of North Carolina. I know it's not northern Florida, but the climates are fairly similar (I'm an 8A with a 250 day growing season and northern Florida is usually 8b-9a with a 250-300 day growing season). I had good luck with I-258, Bordissot Blanca-Negra, Olympian, Smith, Martinenca Rimada, Sao Miguel Roxo, Chicago Hardy, Marseilles Black VS, Violette de Bordeaux and Col de Dame Noir. All of those varieties had closed or tight eyes that were resistant to pests and didn't split often in rain and humidity.

Black Madeira was by far my most challenging fig. I'd say 75% of them burst - completely exploded in any rain or humidity. Maybe this will improve as the tree ages?

Col de Dame Blanc, Lattarula Italian Honey and Coll de Dama di Ciutat attracted ants in my climate. Lattarula Italian Honey was the worst offender and had a very large, wide open eye, and was by far the most prone to spoiling. Col de Dame Blanc would ripen very well if I could protect it from pests long enough.

These were all first year trees, so maybe things will change as they mature.

Leave a comment:

• Figarious Maximus
    commented on 's reply
    For rootstock, it's hard to beat southern brown turkey.

• JustinGrowsFigs
    replied
    I'm really new, but live in 9b and plan on putting 2-3 brown turkey and 2-3 LSU purple in the ground this spring for rootstock next year. At the same time root and grow the more expensive varieties in 5 gallons for graft scions next spring.

Leave a comment:

• firstfig
    replied
    In franks video he mentioned his favorite is mbbs marseille black. Does anyone have this cutting? Furthermore does anyone recommend a good rootstock variety for north Florida keeping in mind nematodes the rain and vigor?

Leave a comment:

• nickawwad
    replied
    I would consult with Frank who lives in north florida as well and has a big orchard. he posted previous videos on his channel below. There are a few standouts in his collection. I think he also founded ponte tresa as well that I love and it is an intense berry flavor, and closed eye and very productive and vigorous., one of my favorites

https://www.youtube.com/user/fmen2007/videos

Leave a comment:

• Kozachka
    commented on 's reply
    The rain Is unfortunate...but at least the growing season is long! I’ll take it over PA zone 6b any day 😆

• Kozachka
    commented on 's reply
    Thank you! I will check out the website for sure! Out of the once you mentioned, I have Champagne, Smith and mega Celeste. Is mega Celeste same as Celeste just bigger? It was a part of a package (I just wanted the red Israel and M Celeste came with). I didn’t think much of it but sounds like it might be a winner in FL!

• Figarious Maximus
    replied
    We have a long growing season here with lots of sun so most any fig will do well here. Unfortunately, we also get a lot of rain in the summer, so you'll get more fruit from varieties that don't split. Smith, TX BA-1, Teramo, Celeste, and most Mt. Etnas are good ones to start with.

Leave a comment:

• Johnson1
    replied
    Many of the LSU figs do well in FL. A few examples are Improved Celeste, Champagne, LSU Purple, Scott's Black. There are many others, Smith is highly rated for its flavor.

Don't forget classic backyard varieties like Malta Black, Celeste, Brown Turkey and Hunt.

The best ones have a closed eye and are split resistant.

Take a look at Just Fruits and Exotics website, located near Tallahassee, FL.

Last edited by Johnson1; 01-20-2020, 09:28 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Kozachka
    started a topic Best varieties for northern FL

Best varieties for northern FL

We are currently in PA, but will be moving to northern FL come spring, so I’m looking for varieties that do well there. I would love to take the guesswork out of this so any help is much much much appreciated!!!
Working...
X