X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video: How to root prune....Ninja style

I made this video yesterday. This is the 9th tree I did and it happened to be the most root bound. I really need to sharpen the machete. I thought it might be useful for others to see the process, as I needed a visual when I first started. Remember, do what works best for you. My method probably isn't the best, nor the safest. Maybe I'll invest in a power saw.
    Frank ~ zone 7a VA

Cool video!
    Zone 7a in Virginia

Comment

Thanks for the video. I will need to root prune several fig trees this year.

What effect does root pruning and pruning the top have on fig production?
      Jerry, Canyon Lake TX 8b

Comment

• F. Bennett
        F. Bennett commented
        Editing a comment
        It will be reduced by a little, but in the long run will provide more figs opposed to not root pruning.

Very cool!
      Ryan aka churl82 on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/usr/churl82
      "wherever you stand be the soul of that place" ~ Rumi

Comment

I know it has to be done, but I still look at the roots chopped off and say how many figs does that eliminate. Kind of like when I prune a branch to make a tree grow better, but then say I can root that branch, and end up with 10 more baby trees at the end of the year that have to go in the cellar. Noce video though.
        Hi my name is Art. I buy fig cuttings-so I can grow more figs-so I can sell more figs-so I can buy more fig cuttings-so I can grow more figs....

Comment

Originally posted by cjmach1973 View Post
          I know it has to be done, but I still look at the roots chopped off and say how many figs does that eliminate. Kind of like when I prune a branch to make a tree grow better, but then say I can root that branch, and end up with 10 more baby trees at the end of the year that have to go in the cellar. Noce video though.
          Yep, I know what you mean. It's the only way I get to keep as many trees, though. It helps that I have at least 2 of each variety.
          Frank ~ zone 7a VA

Comment

Excellent video! Thank you!
            Bryant...Franklin County, VA...Zone 7a. Wish List: a 32 hour day....more sleep

Comment

• F. Bennett
              F. Bennett commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks Bryant!

Frank, good job on the video. However, I will stay with my saz-all. LOL

As for a reduction in fig production due to root pruning. Its the old pay me now or
            pay me later. Lose a few figs due to pruning or lose a lot due to root bound tree.
            newnandawg 7b Newnan, GA

Comment

• F. Bennett
              F. Bennett commented
              Editing a comment
              I have a feeling I'll be moving up to the saw next year, Mike.
              I saw a vid that PA figs posted using a recip saw and it looked so quick and easy to do.

Great video Frank. How often would you prune a tree like that in a 5 gal SIP? Do you use larger SIPS? What's your soil mix?
            Rafael
            Zone 10b, Miami, FL

Comment

• F. Bennett
              F. Bennett commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks Rafael. I had a few that were in the SIP for 2 years and very stunted in 2015. I didn't want to take that chance again with my newer trees, so I may need to do this every year. I will see how this year goes.
              I do not use larger SIPs. For now, I am staying with 5 gallon buckets to maintain space for more trees.
              My mix consists of Pro-Mix BX w/Mychorrhizae, a handful of Azomite dust, Osmocote slow release fertilizer pellets, and additional perlite.

Nice video thanks for making it.
            Iowa Z5

Comment

Nice video, Frank. I'm not at the point of root pruning yet. I'm still up-potting some smaller figs to larger pots.

I do have two large figs in 15 gallon containers that need to be root pruned. I think i'll try the saw-zall or tree pruning saw.
              Kevin (Eastern MA - Zone 5b/6a)

Comment

Frank, do you use any other fertilizer in you 5 gal sips other
                than the osmocote? If not, how much osmocote do you use?
                newnandawg 7b Newnan, GA

Comment

Nice video! I have to do this this year myself and I'm not looking forward to it, but I havnt done it in a two years and it's time. I have an old floppy hand saw that I used and it worked well. Bought a saws all last year. I'll try that also.

Comment

I use a Dewalt 18 volt rechargeable and there are a variety of
                    a blades to choose from. It comes in handy on the 20-25 gal pots.
                    newnandawg 7b Newnan, GA

Comment

Originally posted by newnandawg View Post
                      Frank, do you use any other fertilizer in you 5 gal sips other
                      than the osmocote? If not, how much osmocote do you use?
                      No, just Osmocote. I may lightly dilute the rain barrels with miracle gro, but I doubt it's enough to help. I use roughly 2 tablespoons of Osmocote pellets per 5 gallon bucket, mixed in with the potting mix. I also cover the tops of the buckets to prevent rain from flushing out nutrients.
                      Frank ~ zone 7a VA

Comment

Wow, so violent Frank.
                        Just kidding, there were tons more roots in that bucket than I thought there would be when you initially showed the un-chopped root ball. Good work putting together the video, it was very clear, informative, and you did a great using the view points to demonstrate the objectives before and after. The text to explain the stages was a nice touch too.
                        Calvin, Wish list is to finish working on the new house, someday.
                        Bored? Grab a rake, paint roller, or a cordless drill and come over!

Comment

• F. Bennett
                          F. Bennett commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Thanks Calvin!
                          I too didn't realize how thick the roots were until I removed that bottom cap. It will be interesting to see how they bounce back this year.

I'm going to have two root prune the two original figs that Andy gifted me, then I plan to move them from 15 gallon pots up to something in the 25 gallon range.
                        Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

Gotta love your ninja style Frank!!! Lol! That was just awesome! Very nice "how to" tutorial all around, thanks for posting!
                          My Plant Inventory: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...HZcBjcsxMwQ7iY

Rooted Cuttings Available 2021:
                          https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...fxsT1DuH8/edit

Comment

Hi Frank, my friend got an unknown fig tree about 5 years old potted n a large container, he wanted to know if it is OK to root prune right now (now his fig tree is about to wake up from dormant). Once he started root prune as per your video, can he expect to get figs ripen in this year or not ? Thanks..............

Comment

• pacifica
                              pacifica commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Can he just root prune the bottom part of root ball by 1/3 only but no others ?

• Jamie0507
                              Jamie0507 commented
                              Editing a comment
                              I definitely don't have Frank's experience, but I would think that if your friend had the tree in the same pot for 5 years then those roots will be circling the pot. So I'm thinking if that is the case, he would definitely want to do the side slices (as Frank showed us in his ninja style vid😉) into the shape of a square. That would free the up some space for fresh new soil and solve the circling roots issue as well. But please correct me if I'm wrong @F.Bennett.. I would hate to give pacifica "bum gauge" so to speak!

• F. Bennett
                              F. Bennett commented
                              Editing a comment
                              You're right, Jamie. It would definitely help. Even if it's just an inch or so.

Not Frank, but the rule of thumb is you should prune the top growth
                            to match what you have in the root ball. That is because you will
                            now have less root mass to support much more top growth if
                            you do not.
                            newnandawg 7b Newnan, GA

Comment

A million thanks to all. Good points

Comment

Working...
                              X