X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fico Bianco = Italian Honey?

OK, so I'm working on creating a database of the different varieties that I'm attempting or have attempted to grow when I came across these two. I've found several places where these names appear as aliases of one another. Now, in the interest of efficiency and because my university computer information professor drilled into me that a database should never have duplicates....I'm asking the question: Are these the same fig? If so, what is the preferred/most common name?

Thanks, folks!
    Bryant...Franklin County, VA...Zone 7a. Wish List: a 32 hour day....more sleep

I suppose one must first ask...which Fico Bianco? If you got it from me, no, it's not an Italian Honey. Large open eye and hollow center.
    https://www.figbid.com/Listing/Browse?Seller=Kelby
    SE PA
    Zone 6

Comment

That would be the one. Got it from you.

Have to say, the naming issues around various ficus carica cultivars get maddening sometimes.

Comment

Oh yeah, without a doubt.
        SE PA
        Zone 6

Comment

For now at least, I refer to Italian Honey, aka Lattarula, as Marseilles ... or White Marseilles, because the fig has been grown in the US since the time of Thomas Jefferson as "Marseilles." In France apparently during Jefferson's time it was known as the true Marseilles fig. That said, maybe throughout the rest of the Mediterranean it is much more commonly known by some other name. If so, I would consider changing to that name.

Haven't seen a ripe Fico Bianco / Bianca fruit yet.
          Tony WV 6b
          https://mountainfigs.net/

Comment

Just FYI, I was told it's an unknown found in NYC. That's the name it came with.
            SE PA
            Zone 6

Comment

• DBJohnson
              DBJohnson commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks! I'll note that in my records.

You should never have duplicates in your primary key but if you have 3 of the same variety there's nothing wrong with having 3 entries, 1 for each. Especially since they may be in different sized pots, have different sun exposure, etc. That way you can keep track of productivity vs hrs of sunlight and other factors.
            Bob C. KC, MO Zone 6a. Wanted: Martineca Rimada, Galicia Negra, Fioroni Ruvo, De La Reina - Pons, Tauro, BFF, Sefrawi, Sbayi, Mavra Sika , Fillaciano Bianco, Corynth, Souadi, Acciano Purple, LSU Tiger, LSU Red, Cajun Gold, BB-10 any great tasting fig

Comment

• DBJohnson
              DBJohnson commented
              Editing a comment
              Oh, absolutely! I have each tree individually entered in my records for just that reason. The part I'm working on here is an entry for each cultivar. Right now I have Italian Honey from two different sources and Fico Bianco from Kelby. In gathering the information for these, they both reference each other as being the same variety.

With Kelby adding the info that the Fico Bianco he sent is an UNK, I'll add a separate entry for it as UNK Fico Bianco NYC with Kelby's initials (what I'm using to indicate source provenance).

Fico Bianco is a common fig name here in NIagara. In growing up I remember most of the Italian neighbors had one and some still do.
            My family has had it for > 50 years. My own oldest tree has been in ground for 21yrs and is my biggest producer and 2nd favourite fig for growing in ground here zone 6.
            This fig can get very sweet and honey taste but it can get a little too juicy in rainy periods. It drys really well.

I also grow Lattarulas (the white and the pink flesh ones) beside it and the white flesh do look similar except that Fico Bianco has way more brebas and slightly bigger figs, yellower and is a bigger producer. This may be due to slight differences in environment or plant health although they are only 5' away from each other.
            At this time I think they are different. Will keep monitoring them as they get older and see. Both are very cold tolerant and with minimal winter protection and great fig producers for cold areas.

Tony's point is interesting. I don't have a verified Marseilles white and my Italian Honey hasn't produced yet so can't comment.

IMO I would retain the Fico Bianco name since so many people have and love this fig. But just as many other figs it likely has many other names and these other names should be noted as synonyms.

Here is a post I did when i first joined F4F; http://figs4funforum.websitetoolbox....pid=1281151758

Also attached a couple of photos;

Attached Files
            Pino, Niagara, Zone 6, WL; variegated figs, breba producers & suggestions welcome
            Breba photos / Main crop fig photos
            Canada Fig Growers

Comment

• mountainfigs
              mountainfigs commented
              Editing a comment
              Those three on the limb, are those brebas?

Thank you, Pino! I've kept the Fico Bianco name...just added the UNK and NYC tags for reference until it is ID'd or we all settle on a unique name.

Comment

Bought a Ficazanna tree from Ontario and when it started bearing figs it look exactly like my Latarrula. Thereafter I got a Ficazanna tree here(Vancouver, Canada) and
              I guess its the real thing --large fig & large the eye, split real easy with rain.

Comment

Pino, how do you like the breba on your Fico Bianco? Can you compare them to Desert King?
                Bob C. KC, MO Zone 6a. Wanted: Martineca Rimada, Galicia Negra, Fioroni Ruvo, De La Reina - Pons, Tauro, BFF, Sefrawi, Sbayi, Mavra Sika , Fillaciano Bianco, Corynth, Souadi, Acciano Purple, LSU Tiger, LSU Red, Cajun Gold, BB-10 any great tasting fig

Comment

Bob,
                  Desert King and Fico Bianco are totally different. Both FB and DK FULLY ripened brebas are very sweet and taste fine to me.
                  FB produces many brebas but really it shines with the huge main crop. DK produces a ton of brebas and virtually zero main crop here.
                  FB is juicy and very sweet light honey taste and some seed crunch. The Desert King is also very sweet and nice taste but can't place the flavour.
                  IMO for cool climates these 2 figs are both keepers.
                  Pino, Niagara, Zone 6, WL; variegated figs, breba producers & suggestions welcome
                  Breba photos / Main crop fig photos
                  Canada Fig Growers

Comment

Working...
                  X