X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Strawberries arrived. What to do?

I ordered some strawberries and they arrived this week. I thought they would have shipped them in March. They are moist in a plastic bag with wood shavings. What do I do with them now? Keep them in the fridge until it warms up?
    Don - OH Zone 6a Wish list: Zaffiro, Moro de Caneva, Nerucciolo d'Elba, Bordissot Blanca Negra, Rubado

You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 3 photos.
    Don - OH Zone 6a Wish list: Zaffiro, Moro de Caneva, Nerucciolo d'Elba, Bordissot Blanca Negra, Rubado

Comment

Keeping them in the crisper drawer is what the Nourse Farms guide says. I assume you just need to keep the roots moist and keep them dormant.
      Johnny
      Stuff I grow: Google Doc

Comment

Heck, pot them up and put them with the fig cutting to start growing.
        Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

Hehe. I think there are about 25 of them. All ready running out of room with figs. I might plant a couple inside and see if it messes up their fruiting. Maybe I'll cut some holes in the side of a bucket and plant a bunch that way and store it in the garage until it warms up some. Rated down to zone 4 but I don't see any reason to put them in sub-zero temps in a container.

I guess I'll keep them the way they were sent in the fridge until I do something with them. I was worried about them rotting or dying.

Comment

Just don't let them dry out.
            Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

I have been in this exact situation. I kept them in the crisper exactly as they were shipped to me. I stored them for 5 weeks. I only lost three plants to rot out of 25.

Comment

I put all mine in a roasting pan "planted" in peat and kept them in the fridge until it warmed up outside. Didn't lose any.
                Andy - Zone 6a Lat 39.9º N, Altitude 5390' Westminster CO ⚘ Scion List

Comment

Great idea Andy.

Comment

This has been helpful. Thanks guys.

Comment

Most nurseries wait and ship garden plants like that based on your growing zone. Strange that they went ahead and sent them to you IMO.

Andy's idea was pretty interesting if you have room in your fridge. But I'm sure storing them in your crisper will get you through til planting time too.

BTW, you could plant them as soon as you're able to get in your garden (as soon as the ground is no longer frozen or too wet). If it's still quite cold, you can cover them with straw. The thicker the layer of straw, the more protection provided (based on how much more winter you have left).
                      Zone 6b. West KY.
                      My eBay username is fruitnut.
                      Fig Well and Prosper!

Comment

• don_sanders
                        don_sanders commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I was thinking the same thing.

I have planted strwaberry in pots big enough to accommodate the roots. I had no problem transplanting them after chance of frost. The roots should be pointed down and not spread out like other plants.

If you don't have time space now put them in cold storage as they were shipped. First make sure they didn't dry out.
                      Also I am pretty sure they treat them with some nasty anti fungicide chemicals so make sure to put the whole package inside a clean plastic bag unless you have a special fridge for this stuff.
                      Pino, Niagara, Zone 6, WL; variegated figs, breba producers & suggestions welcome
                      Breba photos / Main crop fig photos
                      Canada Fig Growers

Comment

• don_sanders
                        don_sanders commented
                        Editing a comment
                        They still seem moist so I think they are good. I didn't think about chemicals. I had just put them in the fridge.

I think I'll plant some in some small containers to see what happens with them growing inside.

I would not deal with that nursery again. It's way too early. I have been growing strawberries for a long time. They are fairly easy to grow.
                      Also FYI the first flowers are often removed, some say it's better to develop plants first. If you do keep a few strawberries or all, just a note the first berries are usually not always the best. As the plant becomes established and happy it will produce high brix berries.SO give the plant a chance don't judge taste on first crop. Some taste great, others seem to get better with time.
                      I had a bumper crop last year. I usually don't freeze many, but this year I had so many! I made some infused strawberry vodka, man it came out fantastic!
                      I grow alpine, musk, white (pineberries) and red, both summer and everbearing.

This is the harvest from 2015 06 11

Last edited by drew51; 02-15-2016, 08:24 AM.

Comment

• drew51
                        drew51 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        If you buy again try Nourse Farms or Indiana Berry, both are excellent nurseries. If you put them in the fridge or in pots, both ways will work. I thought the plants didn't look that good, but are alive, and they are fairly strong plants. For more information on growing visit here:
                        http://strawberryplants.org/

• don_sanders
                        don_sanders commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I got some gooseberries from Nourse Farms last year. I haven't seen Indiana Berry yet. I'll have to look them up.

• drew51
                        drew51 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I like Indiana Berry as you can buy smaller amounts, and the price is still good. Such as one raspberry plant (instead of 3 at Nourse).
                    Working...
                    X