X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: have White Crape Myrtle cuttings

Many are available, trimmings the trees tomorrow . Please PM me if interested.
    They are easy to root, like figs.
    USDA z 10a, SoCal. WL: Raspberry Tart, Boysenberry Blush

That is a very generous offer Igor. Many of our members live in cold climates, do you know what the cold hardiness rating is on your cultivar of crapemyrtle?
    Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

Scott,

I do not know what is the hardiness of my cultivar but after some reading, it seems they all should tolerate up to a zone 8. The hybrids go as low as zone 7 but die to the ground like figs and grow back.
      I wish I knew the name of mine. They are pure white with handsome bark.

Comment

Very cool! I wish I could grow them in ground in Colorado.

I thought about putting some in pots on the front stoop, however, my wife likes her palm trees there so that is that.
        Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

Crepe Myrtle is grown extensively here in KY (zone 6a/b). In other words, it's a very popular landscape plant around here. I have a nice purple bloom variety in my yard.

Two things I don't know about them though. 1) I don't know if yours is a different cultivar & would be less cold hardy or the same as the one that's grown around here(?) 2) I also didn't know that Crepe Myrtle can be grown from hardwood cuttings. Not doubting that, just didn't know.....
          Zone 6b. West KY.
          My eBay username is fruitnut.
          Fig Well and Prosper!

Comment

Yes, they root well from the hardwood cuttings.
            Wow! 6a/b is steep. The web mentioned 7 as the lowest zone.
            Mine is definitely a different cultivar, I could find about 30 in general and 4 or so white

Comment

When they say zone maybe too cold tis means to leave tree unprotected in winter correct? But if is winterized It will survive Sì?
              Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
              1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy 👼🏼.
              2) This weeks ebay auctions.

Comment

Si, Mike

Comment

Learn something new every day. I didn't know you could root crepe myrtle cuttings. Can this be done with dormant cuttings or does it need to be active/awake? I ask because I have a maroon crepe myrtle and wouldn't mind extending it into a hedge.
                  Bryant...Franklin County, VA...Zone 7a. Wish List: a 32 hour day....more sleep

Comment

I think you can do both (dormant for sure) , air layers are super easy with them when the trees are active and growing.

Comment

Well, then...it IS the time of year to prune them....
                      Bryant...Franklin County, VA...Zone 7a. Wish List: a 32 hour day....more sleep

Comment

Yeap! That's why I am doing it.
                        Also, the flowers appear on the young wood only, the more you prune, the more flowers you will have.

Comment

I got some last year and they definitely root easily. I have three planted in my yard now. How tall are yours?
                          Brian
                          Augusta, GA

Comment

Brian, that's great!
                            I prune mine heavily every year to approximately 12 ft tall . If left alone, I think they would go to 20 or so ft. You can easily create any shape with the branches and keep the trees at any height.

Comment

I searched and found this page:
                              http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/d..._byheight.html

Didn't know there were so many varieties! But no clue what is mine, they were already growing when we got the house.

Comment

That is quite the list Igor, it's a shame they don't have a column for their USDA zone.

Comment

Working...
                                X