X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rooting above soil line

I am working through my first attempts at rooting. Been making a lot of mistakes and learning a lot as I go.

Right now I'm using a modified 3 cup method. In three instances roots have started developing above the soil line. For two of them I added more soil to the cup. In my last one I don't have enough freeboard to do that. Has anyone encountered this? I don't k ow what it means. I hope roots are forming below ground too but haven't seen them hit the side of the clear cups yet.
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
    Jose in Glen Arm, Maryland.... Zone 7a

It is perfectly normal in a high humidity environment. This usually means there is good root development below the soil as well. There is no need to do anything, the roots will air prune themselves when the time comes.

Looks like you first attempt is going well JMS.
    Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

Thanks for the response. That makes me feel a lot better!

Comment

It is interesting to me that most fig cuttings are killed by to much care. Every thing looks good, just chill and them do their thing.

You are welcome, it's what we do here!!
        Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

I agree. Totally normal and a good indicator of a good environment for the cutting. Good luck!
          Frank ~ zone 7a VA

Comment

What type fico? Good job Amico! Maybe put little soil over them as back up roots?
            Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
            1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy 👼🏼.
            2) This weeks ebay auctions.

Comment

It's a Mary Lane seedless. I also had that happen to another unknown variety I am trying that my father in law calls Middle River. He found the tree in middle River Maryland but we are new to this and havnt IDed it yet

Comment

In the middle of a river in Maryland you say?? Very interesting! Do you have any pics of the mama tree? If so, please do post them so we can check the tree out In fact I think it would make an excellent new topic, maybe someone can help to ID it even? Just a suggestion though as it sounds very interesting to me
                My Plant Inventory: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...HZcBjcsxMwQ7iY

Rooted Cuttings Available 2021:
                https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...fxsT1DuH8/edit

Comment

• Jamie0507
                  Jamie0507 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Lol! I guess I read your post too quickly! Haha! I've definitely heard of figs growing along river banks and in one case, upside under a bridge even! So I wouldn't doubt that it would be possible for one to grow in the middle of a river provided there was a little "island" of sorts raising it above the water.. If these trees are anything, they are definitely adaptable.. At least IMHO anyway, but I'm still a noob so I could be wrong

Haha it's the town of Middle River. Sorry to cause confusion. The tree was not in the middle of a river on an island although that would be a crazy find. Can figs tolerate that much moisture?

Comment

I would bury those roots. There may or may not be other roots. You can't afford to waste the only roots you know about. Shoots will come from underground without any problem when the plant is ready so there's no downside to burying them. The more fig wood that's underground the more frost resistant the plant will be.

As for figs by rivers, it happens all the time. Figs thrive on riverbanks. It's only young plants that are easily damaged by water.
                  Bob C.
                  Kansas City, MO Z6

Comment

Working...
                  X