X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Where should I move them if at all?

    My fig cuttings have flourished in spite of me, and are now getting too big to fit on my bay window ledge. I'm now trying to decide what to do with them. If I put them in a less sunny location now, will they potentially start to decline? If so, should I take advantage of all the warmth and sun we are getting here and put them outside? The end of Feb is my average last date for Freeze/frost. Next few weeks are mid 70s for highs and mid 50s lows.

    Cuttings are in 1 gallon containers.

    Thanks!
    Houston, TX Zone 9a

  • #2
    I would be out side in that weather..... So would my trees😉
    Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
    1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy 👼🏼.
    2) This weeks ebay auctions.

    Comment


    • Visceral
      Visceral commented
      Editing a comment
      I definitely am outside a lot recently and enjoying it!

    • Taverna78
      Taverna78 commented
      Editing a comment
      Think tis way...., at what temp do you start to consider to bring in? Here I start to cover when temp in 40's with windchill. Otherwise I leave unprotected.when is in 50's I start vent dormant tree. If is grown inside in GH I wait till temp is same as GH.

  • #3
    At some point you're going to have to acclimate them to the outside. If it's in the 70's during the day, you may want to start doing a "fig shuffle" and move them out there during the day and then back in at night.

    Partial sun at first would probably be best. Also try with a few first to see if there's any impact you'll notice and not lose them all.

    Good Luck.

    It was -10 on Sunday although it will likely hit 50 today. Crazy winter here in Eastern MA
    Kevin (Eastern MA - Zone 5b/6a)

    Comment


    • #4
      I would go with full shade for the first 2 days then very slowly introduce to the sun...
      Steve
      D-i-c-k-e-r-s-o-n, MD; zone 7a
      WL: Nantes Maroc

      Comment


      • #5
        Or dappled shade at first and slowly spend more time in the sun. If lows are in the 50s they may not even need to come in. Don't let them see anything under 50, though. It won't kill them but it may set back their growth.
        Bob C. KC, MO Zone 6a. Wanted: Martineca Rimada, Galicia Negra, Fioroni Ruvo, De La Reina - Pons, Tauro, BFF, Sefrawi, Sbayi, Mavra Sika , Fillaciano Bianco, Corynth, Souadi, Acciano Purple, LSU Tiger, LSU Red, Cajun Gold, BB-10 any great tasting fig

        Comment


        • #6
          Great,
          I'll be doing the slow process to get them adjusted to the outside and keeping an eye on low temps. I've worked hard to get them this far, so I don't want to kill them doing something stupid.
          Houston, TX Zone 9a

          Comment


          • Harborseal
            Harborseal commented
            Editing a comment
            Best of luck!
        Working...
        X