X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The first one is coming!

Ok, the season has started ! This is my first one with figs this year and was the last fig to produce and ripen last year, mid December. The best fig ever! Very vigorous and productive, super tasty. I wish everybody could grow it. It is an Unk. Pastilliere . This makes my season a woow long ...
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
    Last edited by greenfig; 02-17-2016, 08:59 AM.
    USDA z 10a, SoCal. WL: Raspberry Tart, Boysenberry Blush

Hey, wait up for us low zoners!
    Looks like a good one. Have a great season!
    Frank ~ zone 7a VA

Comment

Spectacular! Congratulations!
      Bob C. KC, MO Zone 6a. Wanted: Martineca Rimada, Galicia Negra, Fioroni Ruvo, De La Reina - Pons, Tauro, BFF, Sefrawi, Sbayi, Mavra Sika , Fillaciano Bianco, Corynth, Souadi, Acciano Purple, LSU Tiger, LSU Red, Cajun Gold, BB-10 any great tasting fig

Comment

Thanks, guys!
        Sorry, Frank, the figs at 90F are unstoppable

Comment

Looks great! Something for us low-zoners to look forward to.

Thanks for sharing.
          Kevin (Eastern MA - Zone 5b/6a)

Comment

Yeah like 90F ahahahaha!!
            Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
            1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy 👼🏼.
            2) This weeks ebay auctions.

Comment

Gorgeous!
              Zone 7a in Virginia

Comment

It's a beauty! Can't wait for things to start heating up around here too. This pic gives me something to look forward to.. Hopefully! Lol! May it be the first of many yet to come for you!
                My Plant Inventory: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...HZcBjcsxMwQ7iY

Rooted Cuttings Available 2021:
                https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...fxsT1DuH8/edit

Comment

That's nice. I am waiting for my fig plants to grow leaves and fruits on them.

fig doesn't flower? How do they fruit?

Comment

• greenfig
                    greenfig commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I think what you eat is the flower. The tiny flowers of the fig are out of sight, clustered inside the green/dark "fruits", called syconium. Some of the figs require pollination, some not; some all the time and some half
                    Last edited by greenfig; 02-17-2016, 09:12 AM.

Thank you , all, for the nice words ! I am happy too
                  I hope the wasps show up on time to take care of the figs. Last year it was much later when the figs appeared. Will they synchronize?

Comment

With zero first hand experience with the wasps and only reading a very small amount about them due to the fact I will never have outside of a large extremely well planned out heated greenhouse..... It does make sense to me that would time their emergence more with the return of heat rather than a given time of year.

All of my trees are in pot in my garage, and are now starting to break bud as well. I also saw a ton of them with a breba crop forming on many of my trees, I will have to make a list for Kelby, there may be some to add to his list.
                    Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

That's a darn good way to start the season. Good for you.
                      Jerry, Canyon Lake TX 8b

Comment

Looks to be a fair number of brebas coming for you. Have you gotten to sample a breba from the UP in past years?
                        Calvin, Wish list is to finish working on the new house, someday.
                        Bored? Grab a rake, paint roller, or a cordless drill and come over!

Comment

Calvin,

That's a good question.
                          No, I have not tried the breba yet. I will update on this if any would be available.

Comment

Congrats! Looks like a sign of more good things to come! Have a great season, everybody!
                            Ryan aka churl82 on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/usr/churl82
                            "wherever you stand be the soul of that place" ~ Rumi

Comment

Looks good!

Comment

Wonderful greenfig. I have a cutting of Pastilliere that I am rooting now. Lots of bud break here in AZ zone 8 as we are having a heat wave. My old time gardening friends in this area say that it might not be a good thing as the fruit trees are blooming and we will most likely get another freeze. One wise neighbor gardener says a warm February means snow in May! Wishing everyone a warm and peaceful spring that leads to a bountiful summer of figs and other garden delights. Best, Jodi
                                Newbie to figs. Wishes for your favorite fig. Zone 8, Camp Verde AZ

Comment

Thank you, Jodi!
                                  Thankfully, figs do not flower and will be coming back with new branches and new figs throughout the summer. Good luck with your weather too!

Comment

I know that is one of the things that fascinates me so much about this species of fruiting plant, Ficus carica. It is so different in its adaptability, variety, vigor and fruiting methods. They are definitely in a class of their own in my book. ;-)
                                    Newbie to figs. Wishes for your favorite fig. Zone 8, Camp Verde AZ

Comment

Had this fig some 10 yrs ago and it kept aborting. Same happened to my friend here. Maybe this fig
                                      needs the fig wasp.

Comment

Paully,
                                        It does need the wasp, it is a Smyrna type.

Comment

Paully, is Pastilliere in general a Smyrna or the unk Pastilliere a Smyrna?
                                          Jerry, Canyon Lake TX 8b

Comment

Jerry,

The regular Pastilliere is a Common fig, while the Unk. is a Smyrna.

Comment

What a fig tree! Your picture inspired me to run out with a flash light and check my Unknown Pastilleres. The tree in a pot in back has one nice size fig similar to your top one and the tree in the front in the ground has three branches and tiny figs on each branch. Thank you again for recommending this variety. It was the first to leaf out, the first to make figs, and the cuttings were the first to both root and leaf out this "winter", perhaps two weeks ahead of cuttings taken at the same time. Harvey posted some pictures of his UPs ripe August 7 last year and reported that they were 16-24 grams. You posted that it had "the unique and rich taste of a Bing cherry". I hope I get to taste one this year.
                                              Mara, Southern California,
                                              Climate Zone: 1990=9b 2012= 10a 2020=?

Comment

• greenfig
                                                greenfig commented
                                                Editing a comment
                                                Congrats, Mara!
                                                I think my figs were much larger than 24 grams. They were the size of a medium plum, full ( no void in the middle) and very juicy.
                                            Working...
                                            X