X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bumper Crop potting mix

Hi Guys, New to the forum, I have a few cuttings that will need to get potted up soon , I was looking for the Promix but can't seem to find it in my area but I found this organic potting mix and was wondering what you guys think ?
    https://coastofmaine.com/product/gardenersgold/

Have not used this specific product, but I bought a bunch of really nice organic potting soil and have had fungus gnats so bad that I lost several cuttings. Other members have said to avoid high carbon organic mixes because of fungus gnats, and I am now convinced. I do not think this would be a direct substitute for promix.

Comment

That would be a great mix for a mature tree. But for rooting I’ve found it’s best to stick to more inert and simple mixes, like promix. You can find some at Greenhouse Megastore, the BX version.
      Central CA Zone 9B☀️: Exquisito, Angelito, more growing space. Need to downsize my collection a bit first

Comment

Fairly new to this too but from what ive,seen here and,on,YouTube videos is that you can basically come up with a makeshift promix with some peat, perlite and vermiculite. Throw in some mycroriza that you can get at Amazon and I think that will make a pretty good rooting media. I've got over 100 cuttings in the fridge now that I'm going to root at the end of March using this,mix. Fingers crossed this works. I think,it's about 50 peat and 50 perlite/vermiculite. Hopefully some of the fig experts will chime,in on your question. Best of luck

Comment

• ginamcd
          ginamcd commented
          Editing a comment
          If you've never rooted fig cuttings before, I recommend not starting them all at once until you know your mix and chosen technique will be successful. About 5-6 weeks apart should give you time to assess if it's working. If not, you'll have a second round of cuttings to try again with, fixing anything that may have gone wrong with the first batch. Good luck!

• BriarPiperTx
          BriarPiperTx commented
          Editing a comment
          From what I understand, the PH of straight peat moss is too high, and needs to be amended with something like lime to bring it down.
          I don't have experience with this, I'm just really cheap so trying to make my own from bulk peat moss also. I found a recommendation for something like 1/2 cup of lime per 3 gallons of peat, but testing the soil is probably the best bet.

Thanks guys! sorry maybe I didn't make myself clear, my cuttings have rooted and they leafed out and they need to be potted up soon to a 1 gallon container so I wanted to use the right soil mix, before I put them on a even larger container thanks again!

Comment

I too would try something with a bit less organic additives in it if you are planning on keeping them indoors for any length of time. I've been using coco coir and perlite mix and the gnat populations have been fairly easy to control with BTi and sticky cards. Good Growing.
          Tony; Pickens county, SC zone 7B
          WL: Azores Dark; Brooklyn White; Dominick; Florea; Maltese Beauty; Sodus Sicilan

Comment

Taking a few moments to provide more info will get better answers. For example adding a State and USDA zone, pictures of your plants, etc. Much depends on the size of your plants.

Here is a link to ProMix dealers. Click on indoor then enter Maine in location.

https://www.pthorticulture.com/en/di...s/?type=indoor
            Johnson1
            Zone 9b
            S of Tampa Bay, FL

Comment

Thanks,for the heads up,on the peat pH situation. I'll be sure to research solutions prior to my pop attempts. Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
              X