X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Z6 greenhouse start

Ok im in z6 and the last few years have started on march1st. This winter is so mild im planning on starting feb15th this year. Any other northern growers pulling there figs out of the garage and trying a early this year, weather its indoors or greenhouse? Double 6 mil with conctruction zipper and 2" pink foamboard for the floor makes a HUGE difference. Fig fever is tough this year.
    Attached Files
    Myfigs:https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...QMA/edit#gid=0. WL: I 258, violeta, RDB, Black Ischia, Raspberry Latte, Malta black, Figo Preto, Galacia Negra, Black Zadar. Spokane, Wa. Z6

Why the rush?
    NJ Zone 7A in the New York Metro Area

Comment

• shawnjames70
      shawnjames70 commented
      Editing a comment
      Figs

• VicD NJ7A
      VicD NJ7A commented
      Editing a comment
      You have my full support buddy... Keep us posted on your progress...

I was wondering the same thing.
    My garage figs already broke dormancy and are starting to push leaves... but I don’t have a way to protect them outside. I guess a grow light or south facing window will have to do.

Vancouver, WA Zone 8b See profile for current varietal list
    WL: Cessac, Campaniere, Burgan, Tashkent, Blue Honey, Cardenillo, RGR, Dolce Calderai, Balkan Grey, Joualle figs

Comment

Same boat here....my gozo girl, desert king and improved celeste have little baby leaves already.
      Joel - London, On Z6A

Comment

I actually started mine 2 weeks ago inside so they would be ready to go outside once they have a strong root system. I'm in zone 8a and I just got my first, and probably, only freeze this year. Due to warmer weather I decided to start early. This time last year we had a blizzard, I'm in southern Arizona.
        Erin: Catalina/Tucson, AZ. Zone 9a
        Wish list:
        Coll de Dama Noir, Black Tuscan, campaniere, White Madeira #1, Mt. Etna, Ischia Black, Rasberry Latte, VDB, Dalmatie, Golden Rainbow

Comment

Just did an overnight temp test, low was 45F inside, outside hit 20F. Thinking ill be good to wake up figs.
          Myfigs:https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...QMA/edit#gid=0. WL: I 258, violeta, RDB, Black Ischia, Raspberry Latte, Malta black, Figo Preto, Galacia Negra, Black Zadar. Spokane, Wa. Z6

Comment

• shawnjames70
            shawnjames70 commented
            Editing a comment
            Amazon has 4 inch and 6 inch greenhouse vent fans 6inch moves around 350cfm. 55 bucks for the 6 inch. Will be making 6 inch hole to vent green house with the gas filled auto vent opener and the fan should be easy to maintain 90s as a high.

• shawnjames70
            shawnjames70 commented
            Editing a comment
            Just checked greenhouse temps overnight low 45 inside,20F outside. 108F inside, 44F outside. Will be buying that fan forsure. Lol

• Halligan-
            Halligan- commented
            Editing a comment
            I use a 6” 350cfm induction fan in my fig tent suspended from the ceiling pointed up to circulate the air. It doesn’t seem to affect the temp when just circulating air. You’ll definitely want to vent externally for temp control.
            I run my 6” fan for 12 hrs a day. I think it draws 37w, so for 12hrs it costs me less than a Nickel a day.

I have 10 trees started indoor as of last week, artificial light, these are primarily late varieties which I couldn't get to ripen last year as it was too late.
          MJ
          Chicago Zone 5a/5b

Comment

This fan is what ill use to regulate heat inside, 1500 watt heaters for keeping it warm. Second pic is my thermostat.

Click image for larger version

Name:	shaun1.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	128.9 KB
ID:	711924

Attached Files
            Last edited by TorontoJoe; 02-10-2020, 09:33 PM.

Comment

If you can keep the GH above freezing at night and below 100 by day start as early as you can afford the heating bill. I started mine on Dec 7 and now have main crop starting to form. The sooner you get the plants started the longer your harvest season will be. I'll have main crop June until Dec.
              Alpine, Texas 4500ft elevation Zone 7
              http://growingfruit.org/

Comment

• fruitnut
                fruitnut commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes that would work. Heat to just above freezing day and night. Rely on the sun for any heat above that. To me that's the most cost effective way to start early. In most climates it doesn't cost much to heat to low 30s.

• MJA829
                MJA829 commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks, Im going to try that, but not until mid March. I will do a few tests later this months with heat and measure high and lows. I need to find an electricity meter to understand impact and cost.

• jessup42
                jessup42 commented
                Editing a comment
                fruitnut you dont add any light or manipulate the photoperiod at all? Just pure daylight will cause fruiting even in winter?

Shaun... I'm all about starting as early as possible but Feb 15th?!?! You really have a pair.... I'm impressed! Two years ago I started in March with multiple electric heaters.... True it was a very cold spring... But when my wife saw the electric bill.... Well... do the math... 3000 watts... running pretty much 24/7... at cost of $0.15 to $0.20 per kWh.... I was not popular!
              Guildwood Village - Toronto, Canada - Zone 6

Comment

• shawnjames70
                shawnjames70 commented
                Editing a comment
                Our electricity cost is almost a 4th of that. And i run 2 heaters 1500 watts at half power. 750 each , i think it heats better at a lower cost. I start march 1st last 2 years, so not too much earlier.

• fruitnut
                fruitnut commented
                Editing a comment
                You only have to heat to say 34F. That's a lot cheaper than 45-50. Let the free heat from the sun do the major lifting. I think you'd be ahead starting earlier and heating to a lower base temperature.

• VicD NJ7A
                VicD NJ7A commented
                Editing a comment
                Couldn’t agree more Joe.... plus I’m not a fan of the drastic day/night temperature swings.....

have you considered getting a couple (few) 55gal DARK plastic barrels (food grade) and filling them with water as heat transfer system? warm up with sunlight, diffuse in the dark...?

Comment

• shawnjames70
                shawnjames70 commented
                Editing a comment
                No room, had 4 55gal barrels full of water in 8 x 12 greenhouse didnt notice much. Rather have 5 more 20 gal pots instead to retain heat.

Well, put my figs in grow mode. 10 20 gal pots and 26 10 gal pots in a 8' x 12' greenhouse. Time to take advantage of our early spring, and open up the wallet a tiny bit. Plus my 40 plus cutting im rooting, and anything i trim off my trees tomarrow. Z6 figgin!
              Attached Files

Comment

• MJA829
                MJA829 commented
                Editing a comment
                Very nice, keep an eye on soil moisture, and start planning for fertilizing

Woohoo greenhouse vent came today will install this weekend. 22 bucks moves 240cfm, which should be good for my 8 x 12 greenhouse.
              Attached Files

Comment

• Halligan-
                Halligan- commented
                Editing a comment
                I’m sure you thought of it.
                ​​​​​​​But, I just realized that regardless of weather the fan is on or off you will be venting heat day and night through that 6” hole. Maybe you can DIY a one way louvre onto the vent pipe using a dryer vent louvre face plate?
                Maybe it’s not worth worrying about

• shawnjames70
                shawnjames70 commented
                Editing a comment
                Im using a 6inch vent louver so i dont lose heat.

• Halligan-
                Halligan- commented
                Editing a comment
                Awesome, good call

What greenhouse model/company do you have? Also what is the base its sitting on?
              Joel - London, On Z6A

Comment

• shawnjames70
                shawnjames70 commented
                Editing a comment
                Grandio elite 8 x 12. I made a base out of 4 x 6 treated lumber and put a 1 x 4 on top to keep the copper treated 4 x 6 away from the aluminum greenhouse frame. Floor is 1/2" plywood sandwich with 2" pink foamboard in the middle.

Pruned trees and watered im ready to see some buds break.
              Attached Files

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	47C5487E-BB19-4803-BA4D-ECD2A9EDAC92.jpeg
Views:	102
Size:	3.52 MB
ID:	713467
                I installed greenhouse inside clear plastic insulated patio 🤭
                Did grafts too early so I have to keep temps above 0C at night (10C preferably). Zone 8B. Hoping my late ripening trees will give me some nice fruit this year 🤞🏻
                WL: Constans, CDA, Exquisito, Cardenillo, Figo Preto de Torres Nova, JEG-Ice, Fiorone Di Ruvo, Iranian Candy

Comment

I'm also starting with the heat tonight. I found great success just keeping the night time temps above 60. Use the GH to heat during the day.
                  Zone 7A - Philadelphia
                  Flavor Profiles & Variety List / Facebook / YouTube / Blog

Comment

5 gal bucket of tri phosphate, bone meal, lime, and time release fert. Time to feed.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                    X