X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fig workshop at elementary school

Just want to thank Coop for sending me some bulk cuttings at a very low price, allowed me to do a rooting workshop at a local school a couple weeks ago. Just under 30 kids total, each did 2 figs wrapped in parafilm. Kids had a really good time, hands on stuff works really well for elementary level workshops. I didn't get pictures of the potting process, as teaching kids to stretch parafilm was a little crazy. These photos are with the kids doing sketches of what their cuttings look like initially, they will be doing new sketches every week. Just thought I would share some pictures, all the figs are in the classroom on a heat mat, will be checking on things today to check on moisture content. Thanks again Coop!
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 11 photos.
    Cayuse, Oregon Zone 6a

That is super cool!

Nicely done.
    Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

That's great! I'm sure you left feeling pretty good that day.
      Frank ~ zone 7a VA

Comment

Nice, congratulations!
        I assume they will not be graded based on the rooting success, right? I would be in the red with a big fat F for sure
        USDA z 10a, SoCal. WL: Raspberry Tart, Boysenberry Blush

Comment

Just an idea - if the kids are getting to keep their rooted plants, you might want to be sure that you have a number of spares rooting so that those that fail don't disappoint the kids too badly.
          Ed
          SW PA zone 6a

Comment

• cwujek
            cwujek commented
            Editing a comment
            Already on it, did 6 extra in case any of the kids have both die. Was thinking of doing an easier tree but I found Celeste to be fairly quick and consistent to root, plus its just so much better if they can enjoy a fresh fig later!

That's a great way to get kids interested in gardening.

Good Luck with them.
          Kevin (Eastern MA - Zone 5b/6a)

Comment

Kudos! What an innocent introduction to our addiction!
            CA 9b "May you sit under your own fig tree..." This metaphor, in use since Solomon, is a wish for the receiver's spirit to know peace, for their family to be secure, and for their life to be fruitful.

Comment

• COGardener
              COGardener commented
              Editing a comment
              LOL.... start'em young!!

• don_sanders
              don_sanders commented
              Editing a comment
              1st one is free.

Excellent! Great way to encourage kids to spend more time outside.
            Ryan aka churl82 on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/usr/churl82
            "wherever you stand be the soul of that place" ~ Rumi

Comment

Aye! B E L L E! B E L L E! B E L L E!

Salute to you help child learn! You are respected !
              Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
              1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy 👼🏼.
              2) This weeks ebay auctions.

Comment

Future Members
                Wish List -

Comment

That's awesome. I'm sure they had a blast.

Comment

Instead of the FFA, we have the FFGA.
                    Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

Thats so awesome, so much better than having the kids grow beans. Hopefully they are all successful and will be introduced to many more great things in gardening due to this class.
                      May the Figs be with you!
                      ​​​​​

Comment

Yeah, think you all pretty much some up my thoughts on the class. I always wished that I would have learned more about gardening in school, only thing I grew was a couple wheat seeds. I do remember thinking it was cool to see something grow, but couldn't really do anything with it. With a fruiting tree, hopefully they will be able to plant them at home and get some fruit as they go through middle and high school. And if they want to propagate the tree, they now know how. It's been 2 weeks since I did the workshop, and some buds have already pushed through the parafilm. I will probably sew up a bunch of fabric pots for transplanting, and will set up a grow light in the classroom so they can watch the trees get bigger over the coming months. Thanks for all the words of encouragement, couldn't have done it without this forum, I don't post a lot but I lurk and soak up the knowledge...
                        Cayuse, Oregon Zone 6a

Comment

awesome thing you did for the kids.
                          i rooted 40 last season and killed 39 of them...
                          please post the update pictues so the kids can take me to school
                          andreas-patras Peloponnisos Greece zone 9a

Comment

What a great thing! I thought of doing this in my son's 1st grade class, but I thought maybe I better wait a couple more years. What grade are these kids in?
                            My Plant Inventory: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...HZcBjcsxMwQ7iY

Rooted Cuttings Available 2021:
                            https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...fxsT1DuH8/edit

Comment

Very nice. I hope they all root well.

Looks like they are in fourth grade...or at least in a fourth grade classroom.
                              Don - OH Zone 6a Wish list: Zaffiro, Moro de Caneva, Nerucciolo d'Elba, Bordissot Blanca Negra, Rubado

Comment

Thanks Chris
                                This warms my heart more than you can imagine. I have the utmost respect for what you are doing and am so honored to have been a part of this wonderful undertaking.
                                I can't stop smiling looking at these kids and their cuttings

Comment

Good job. Now that is what teaching is all about. Not everything can be written in a book.
                                  Jerry, Canyon Lake TX 8b

Comment

Working...
                                  X