X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mosquitos

Ok, now that spring is approching and we are all thinking about this years growing season. I'm starting to think about what I am going to do differently with my new property. Last year I definetly had a mosquito issue. I noticed this even at my old house, which was not as bad, but the same thing. Mosquitos seem to love hanging out in my fig trees. I ended up having most of my trees clumped on and around the deck in the back, so it made a nice little shady canopy for them, but it was to the point that I would get eaten alive every time I had to water. We didn't even spend any time outside since we were busy with the house. This year I would like to enjoy the yard a little more, but not instantly swarmed. Has anyone else had this issue? Does anyone have any suggestions on mosquito control. I was debating spraying the yard, but I don't want to spray my figs or future garden.

Dry up and stagnant water you have. Keep grass cut normally and spray lawn with good repellent. Other then tis you must protect yourself. I have tis problem when fishing Spring. And if you can find 100% deet they will no bother you. I also hear Listerine mouthwash work well too but I no try. Biggest thing is remove all standing water.
    Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
    1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy πŸ‘ΌπŸΌ.
    2) This weeks ebay auctions.

Comment

Use gnatrol or mosquito dunks in your pots. The active ingredient is a bacteria that kills them but is harmless to people, pets and fish. Some people use citronella or bug zappers or traps with pheromones.
      Bob C. KC, MO Zone 6a. Wanted: Martineca Rimada, Galicia Negra, Fioroni Ruvo, De La Reina - Pons, Tauro, BFF, Sefrawi, Sbayi, Mavra Sika , Fillaciano Bianco, Corynth, Souadi, Acciano Purple, LSU Tiger, LSU Red, Cajun Gold, BB-10 any great tasting fig

Comment

Thanks guys, Fabio I have no standing water in the backyard. This winter I finished cutting down all remaining large trees to get more sun light. My neighborhood has a lot of trees and shady areas. My lawn in the back is half dirt and half weedy grass that I do mow. Hopefully I'll be reseeding the lawn sooner then later. I tried a lawn spray last year from Home Depot. I sprayed the whole yard accept right on the fig trees. It was good for three days, not the three weeks they advertised.
        Bob, how often do you wanted with that? I don't keep my pots to wet. Are you saying the pots are where they are breeding?

Comment

Just mentioned on the other forum that you can try putting out buckets of water with mosquito dunks. The buckets serve as convenient breeding pools, but due to the BTI, the larva never mature. You can theoretically interrupt the breeding cycle of the mosquitoes and cut down the population. It'll work even better if you can convince your neighbors to do it too.

http://www.gardensalive.com/product/...et_your_garden
          Johnny
          Stuff I grow: Google Doc

Comment

Google image

best mosquito control for big areas

Some great stuff

Comment

I don't see an image?

Comment

http://m.homedepot.com/p/Cutter-32-f...67-4/100211822

This is what I used last year, but only one time

Comment

Do you have areas that tend to have standing water within a few hundred yards of your place? Before I moved to Virginia in 2013, our place in NC had horrible mosquito problems due to an abandoned alley (city owned it but just let it run wild) that was about 150-200 yards away. Didn't matter what we did because the city never cleaned up the place. You have to get them where they are breeding.

Luckily, where I live now has practically ZERO mosquitos.
                  Bryant...Franklin County, VA...Zone 7a. Wish List: a 32 hour day....more sleep

Comment

No standing water that I can see anywhere. It's just a regular suburb with houses everywhere. My section of the neighborhood does have a lot of huge trees, buts it's all pretty much manicured lawns and landscaped houses. In fact according to my neighbors the old owner of our house was the guy who brought the mosquitos with an abandoned crap above ground pool. They pool was removed when we bought the house. Maybe the mosquitos were residual from that and they will leave this year, lol.

Comment

• DBJohnson
                      DBJohnson commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Mobilize everyone in the neighborhood to make sure no open water is left out. That is a requirement to stop mosquitos from breeding. Remember back in the early 70's with the encephalitis outbreaks? PSAs all over the place to get rid of anything that holds water (tires, cans, pet dishes, pools, etc...).

Originally posted by 71GTO View Post
                    Are you saying the pots are where they are breeding?
                    If there's no other standing water, yep. Mine do.

Bob C. KC, MO Zone 6a. Wanted: Martineca Rimada, Galicia Negra, Fioroni Ruvo, De La Reina - Pons, Tauro, BFF, Sefrawi, Sbayi, Mavra Sika , Fillaciano Bianco, Corynth, Souadi, Acciano Purple, LSU Tiger, LSU Red, Cajun Gold, BB-10 any great tasting fig

Comment

A must is finding standing water as mentioned. It must be there if you have mosquitoes. Buy or make a bat house, mount facing south. Bats eat billions of bugs and especially like eating mosquitoes. We enjoy the nightly acrobatics and antics of the bats. In a short time fewer and fewer bats come to feed...their feed is gone. They catch more bugs than any 3/4 acre bug zapper ever did. I believe breeding cycle of mosquitoes is 21 or 23 days. Let the bats do the work.
                      Wish List: πŸ™πŸΌ Mavra Sika

Comment

I have a place on an island and we have canals and such, so thousands of mosquitoes. Even the most weaponized poison has a short half-life on this island. I grew up there, and now I no longer have any reaction at all to a mosquito bites. It just hurts for a second when the actually puncture my skin. Kinda like getting a series of allergy shots, my body is now desensitized! When at their worst, you get bit every 3 or 4 seconds. A swing in the air could hit 15-30 mosquitoes. Anyway if you want to keep them away the only way that works is a strong fan. When watering turn it on, when sitting outside, turn it on. Nothing else will work for very long.
                        Spraying works for a day or two. Fogging same thing, although works well for a day. Using the Mosquito dunk trap sound like a good idea, also putting up bat houses. Again where I live nothing is going to solve the problem, and a strong fan blows them away. It has to be industrial strength. When we have to stay outside for a long time the islanders use Cutter's or other repellents. Russell Island perfume as we call it!

Comment

Our place has a serious mosquito problem. I can't walk to the mailbox without fending off 10 of the jerks. Here's my plan (outside of removing standing water), though I expect it will not help much.

-putting up a bat house this spring (although this isn't really supposed to help much...bats eat mosquitoes, but prefer much bigger insects...also the overlap between bats coming out and mosquitoes being active is quite small)
                          -setting "traps" of 5 gallon buckets with standing water with mosquito bricks in them...won't stop the current generation, but could help reduce subsequent ones
                          -clearing out some undergrowth this winter...though again, this probably won't help much...we've got a lot of evergreens which they seem to love, and I don't think the land lord would appreciate me cutting them down
                          -clearing out gutters....they LOVE gutters full of leaves

Basically, although I have a plan, I'm pretty sure nothing will help. Anopheles albopictus (Asian tiger mosquito) is a menace. Supposedly 30 years ago, mosquitoes didn't suck nearly as bad, but then albopictus got introduced accidentally somewhere in Texas, and spread like wildfire. I know that 90% of my bites come from albopictus (they have striped legs if you look close, and are a little bigger than most of the native species of the south)
                          Brett in Athens, GA zone 7b/8a

Comment

Maybe look into call city and have them do weekly sprays by you. They do by us every year. But also maybe focus on protecting youself first so you can at least enjoy go to outside. Tis what I use and works well. They also no like smell of dryer pads. Just rub fresh unused dryer pad on your expose skin.
                            You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Originally posted by brettjm View Post
                              Our place has a serious mosquito problem. I can't walk to the mailbox without fending off 10 of the jerks. Here's my plan (outside of removing standing water), though I expect it will not help much.

-putting up a bat house this spring (although this isn't really supposed to help much...bats eat mosquitoes, but prefer much bigger insects...also the overlap between bats coming out and mosquitoes being active is quite small)
                              -setting "traps" of 5 gallon buckets with standing water with mosquito bricks in them...won't stop the current generation, but could help reduce subsequent ones
                              -clearing out some undergrowth this winter...though again, this probably won't help much...we've got a lot of evergreens which they seem to love, and I don't think the land lord would appreciate me cutting them down
                              -clearing out gutters....they LOVE gutters full of leaves

Basically, although I have a plan, I'm pretty sure nothing will help. Anopheles albopictus (Asian tiger mosquito) is a menace. Supposedly 30 years ago, mosquitoes didn't suck nearly as bad, but then albopictus got introduced accidentally somewhere in Texas, and spread like wildfire. I know that 90% of my bites come from albopictus (they have striped legs if you look close, and are a little bigger than most of the native species of the south)

I live by canals and we have bad infestations of the asian tiger mosquito near me, it has been horrible the past few years after hurricane sandy since people never cleaned out their pools and we had huge breading grounds. If i knew how bad the mosquitos would be near me, i would not have moved to this neighborhood. Last summer was the first summer i was able to kinda enjoy being outside without worrying about getting mosquito attacks during the day (asian tiger mosquitos are out all day and persistent). I have used Talstar-P which is commercial grade insecticide on my grass and trouble areas, not sure if its helping or not. I also have been using a Thermacell lantern and handheld, i have been manually refilling the butane myself and bought cheapo pads from thailand - those seemed to help more than any deet repellants (even REPEL 100 mentioned above) and natual repellants (oils). It is useful to buy the mosquito dunks and walk to any trouble neighbors who have standing water and toss a few in, i tried that when my neighbors had pools with green water (mosquito babies).
                              May the Figs be with you!
                              ​​​​​

Comment

Buy a fogger.........
                                Cutting sales have ended for the season. Plant sales will start March 1 at 8 eastern time. If it is still too cold in your area I can hold your plants till a date of your choosing.

Comment

• Taverna78
                                  Taverna78 commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  You and you foggers 😁

Thanks for the tips guys, Brett, we have tiger mosquitos here as well. I won't remember 30 years ago here, but never remembered it being like this even 7 or 8 years ago. It sounds like I did have some things they may have liked. I cut down huge pines, I don't know if they would nest 50 feet up in the air since that is where the branches were. In two winters we took down over 20 trees. Other then my fig trees. I can't see where there would be any standing moisture or water. Under the deck is all gravel. Since our house was surrounded by trees the gutters do get full. I need to clean them, but with the winter I havnt had a chance. My neighbors still have a lot of trees, ivy and large leafed plants. I feel like I noticed the concentration of them near my figs and deck. I think they have to be a source. I have a coworker who pays a company to spray over the summer and she says it works, but I'm afraid to spray my figs or garden. I've also cleaned up a lot of brush this past fall. I think I have some good ideas and maybe just some minor things will work since it doesn't sound like I have as bad a problem as some of you guys. The old owners really didn't take care of anything. There was a pile of shredded wood from a tree they cut and it disintegrated into what looks like peat. Dos big section of the backyard is this spongy woody mess. I've been raking up what I can. I hope to have the yard leveled and reseeded at some point.
                                Fabio, I'll ask the county. I think they used to do it, but NJ is not great with spraying.
                                Bob, how often do you water with mosquito dunk?

Comment

Marcus,

The figs are not the source if there is no standing water. The skeeters are out at night hunting for a meal and when the sun comes up they need a safe shady spot to stay for the day and your fig plants are ideal. A propane or electric powered fogger using a safe and enviro friendly insecticide will help immensely OR buy a propane powered skeeter trap, they work quite well. They release co2 and heat and draw the little suckers to their death and has the benefit of not killing beneficials as a fogger will.
                                  Cutting sales have ended for the season. Plant sales will start March 1 at 8 eastern time. If it is still too cold in your area I can hold your plants till a date of your choosing.

Comment

Thanks, will I figured they liked the shade and since I kept my trees all clumped together it was a haven for them. I still wonder if they may be in the soil? I know last year when I was busy with the house and time was in short supply I was over watering then hoping to extend the days between waterings and the figs were not happy.
                                    I saw those propane traps, but the cost and many people say they break very easy kind of scared me away. Also, I didn't want to run an extension cord across the lawn since the recommend putting it away from where you will be. I'm going to try to space out my trees more this year.

Comment

At some point also I hope to plant some mosquito deterring plants....

Comment

They aren't coming from your pots without standing water, they don't live in soil. They are water born(stagnant standing water is preferred) from eggs and through the larval and pupal stages. I'm sure if you cut down a bunch of trees, your figs are sort of like an oasis for refuge. Male mosquitoes don't search out animals for blood, only the females do, the blood serves a purpose for reproduction. The males eat plant juices and nectar. I see both sexes in my fig trees, I would say definitely more males than females, but not large numbers either way...we don't really have what I call lots of mosquitoes in the Denver area anyway.

This is what mosquito larvae look like, and the one in the middle is a pupa.

Here is a link to common mostly inexpensive plants that deter mosquitoes.

http://www.infobarrel.com/Top_10_Com..._Other_Insects

You don't have to have water just around your house to have them. I grew up in a small town that was near some river bottoms, the town battled the mosquitoes every year with fogging and using larvacide(BT) in local waterways. It helped, but there were always ample mosquitoes by July; all we needed was a breeze and it would blow in another million or so mosquitoes to replenish the town.
                                        Last edited by cis4elk; 02-19-2016, 10:50 AM.
                                        Calvin, Wish list is to finish working on the new house, someday.
                                        Bored? Grab a rake, paint roller, or a cordless drill and come over!

Comment

The females must lay eggs in water, true, but they nest all over the place, especially shaded/bushy areas, and will readily travel several hundred yards from their source. This is why they like pines so much...those branches offer great cover all the way to the ground. I wouldn't be surprised if they like the shade under your deck as well, especially when willing meals come out so often .

As for remembering their introduction, I wasn't around (quite) 30 years ago either, but I am originally from Indiana, where they had not spread to yet when I grew up. Not sure if they've made it that far yet or not.

On the bright side, the Asian tiger mosquito doesn't carry malaria. Imagine if it did...the CDC was founded in Atlanta for good reason you know...SE U.S. had a huge malaria problem back in the day.
                                          Brett in Athens, GA zone 7b/8a

Comment

This may sound counter intuitive but one of the best ways to control the mosquitoes is to give them somewhere nice to breed. Get a couple 5 gallon buckets and throw soil and leaves in it, just a couple handfuls and let it sit in the semi shade. It will draw the females to it to lay their eggs in the rice rich stagnate water. Add a mosquito dunk and you have the perfect trap. They come, lay hundreds of eggs, the eggs hatch the larvae die. Every egg that is laid in your traps is 1 skeeter that will never be out hunting you.

Way back when I use to raise discus (tropical fish). I loved growing mosquito larvae to feed them as the adults tended to be finicky eaters and would easily go off their feed and I live meal would get them going again. I dug long shallow ditches lined with plastic and people thought I was nuts. First question was always "but how do you stand all the mosquitoes around"? The answer was...it did not mean more skeeters in the area it means WAY less as I was taking away thousands of potential biters a week out of the wild. I would actually collect the dry floating egg cases that the females laid on the water surface and stored them away to hatch inside over the winter, never had any mosquitoes flying around my fish room because I harvested them before they got to the adult stage.

Comment

I think I have have a lot of good ideas now. I'll be ready to go this summer. Thanks again for all the suggestions and information.

Comment

Working...
                                              X